VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am almost afraid to ask this, as I know there are so many subtitles guide and question here...

Is there a way to add subtitle directly to a Vob file?

Here's why I need it:
    I have 5 avi files (tv shows for example) and for each avi file I have a subtitle file (either *.srt or a *sub file). I use nero vision express to convert all of them into 1 DVD, however I set Nero to "burn" the DVD onto my Hardrive. So now I have the DVD ready to be burned using Nero Rom, and all I need to now, is add the subtitles to the Vobs.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope. But you can demultiplex the vob(using tmpgenc under file->mpeg tools) and add the srt in dvdauthorgui and author. If several vobs you must demux to one video file with for example rejig.

Or use dvd-lab pro and add the vob and select demux and add the srt.

Or the BEST solution, use a avi to dvd converter with subtitle support like avi2dvd.

Moving you to our new subtitle forum.
    Quote Quote  
  3. So by using dvd-lab pro, I am able to insert the subtitle file "into" the Vob tile, but I won't be able to use Nero rom to burn it anymore?

btw, is there a good IRC chat room about these matters?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    you author to a new dvd with dvd-lab pro that you burn. but it is not simple..you must learn the basics in dvd-lab pro.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    i just noticed that you can add subs directly to vobs in dvdauthorgui, just add the vob and add srt subs, author and burn. must be easiest.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Make sure you use 0.999b if you use DVDAuthorGUI. In 0.999, that function was ~accidentally~ broken.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Great, I'll give DVDAuthorGUI a shot

I downloaded dvd-lab pro from their site and I am now playing with it.
    When I added my Vob and the relevant subtitle file, and following the guide's instructions, dvd-lab pro ended up creating a 2 new files but didn't create a new Vob file. I must be doing something wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hey,
    I tried to use DVDAuthorGUI ver 999b and here's what happened:
    At first I was able to add subs to the Vob and it looked ok. Now, 2 days after my first attempt, I have hit a wall!!!
    I won't bore with the details of some of my attempts to solve it, just my last one.
    I converted the same AVI file I used at day 1 to Vob using Nero(same as before), then I opened DVDAuthorGUI. I added a title (VTS_01_1.VOB) and went on to add a subtitle file. Then I pressed Author DVD and a window opened. I don't know what to type there as the File Type is Folder!!!, so I type some name and pressed Save. Then right away I got: Process complete, Please view....
    That's what I got in the log:
    "DVDAuthorGUI 0.999b - 5/5/2005"

I don't know what is wrong. I tried to reinstall and resetting windowns and nothing help!!!

How do I solve this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting problem. Im not sure what the reason is for that, but if you look in the dvdauthorgui directory, you will see a 'process.bat' file. double click on that, and it will start the authoring process manually.

If you can, post a more detailed description of your system, such as OS version (any service packs), cpu type, any critical programs installed (like anti-virus like tools), and if you are running dvdauthorgui from an administrator, or a limited user login. It would be extremely helpful if I were to see a list of processes running on your system. A tool like IBProcman could get that easily for you.
    http://www.merijn.org/files/ibprocman.zip
    Quote Quote  
  10. It's driving me crazy, and this Forum is the only thing that keeps me away from never touching a DVD again and switching back to vinyl records

P4 2.4GH, XP professional Service Pack 1, Administrator, Norton 2004+AVG, Kerio..haha all the info one needs to break into my comp.

The most perplexing thing is that everything was OK 2 days ago. Now however, using the same VOB file and the same subtitle file(*.sub)
    Nothing works.
    I am using the same original AVI file as before, to make sure I am not using any "anti-dvdauthorgui-AVI/Vob-Files"

I will try 'process.bat' and let you know. Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Use Rejig then, its just as easy and maybe will work better for you.
    Quality is my policy.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Well..I too trying to add the .sub and a .idx file I have for an AvI and nothing seems to work as I expect. AVi2dvd doesn't support .sub along with other apps I tried, but I will mess with them one more time see if I left anything anywhere. I just found out the sub is in chinese so I can't understand anyways, but then it could be helpful for future avis. I will update.
    Quote Quote  
  13. liquid217 you were right on the money. When you asked about being an administrator I started checking around. I found out I was unable to run cmd.exe and regedit.exe so naturally I suspected a Virus, but I couldn't find any. Finally I found a web page that suggested to check the Kario Rules and Bingo, problem solved. No Format today
    Quote Quote  
  14. Here is what I consider the easiest way to create a DVD with menus, more than one movie in it and subtitles for each movie (i.e., I authored 6 AVIs into a DVD and each avi had its own subtitle file).
    For that I used Nero vision express and DVDAuthorGUI v0.999b

First create a DVD using Vision Express and set it to "Burn to hard disk folder". Nero would create a folder name VIDEO_TS which will have the vobs and ifo and bup files.

Next open DVDAuthorGUI and authored each Vob by its own. add subtitles and create chapters (and whatever else you need to do).

DVDAuthorGUI will also create a VIDEO_TS directory and if only one VOB was authored, there will be 5 files in there: VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_0.IFO, VTS_01_0.BUP, VIDEO_TS.IFO and VIDEO_TS.BUP.
    Rename the 3 files related to the movie their original name (i.e., if you authored VTS_04_1.VOB, DVDAuthorGUI will create a new Vob file, naming it VTS_01_1.VOB, so simply rename it back to VTS_04_1.VOB and it's relavant IFO and bup files).

Copy the new Vob, ifo and bup files to the VIDEO_TS directory nero created, replacing the original files.

Burn the whole Nero VIDEO_TS directory using Nero burning rom and Voila, you have a menud DVD (which nero created) and each Vob has subtitles and chapters.

Let me know if you know of easier way to do so.
    Quote Quote  
  15. i have a film in dutch language but no english audio option , how do i add an english subtitle to follow the movie , is it as simple as porting in a subtitle file somewhere into the folders and burning the files to dvd ?
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    emored: Noooooooooooooo, read a guide https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=267417&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight= and you will see that is not worth it...
    Quote Quote  
  17. hi , thanks for the reply , no wonder then i only got one response its not worth it because its too complex ( the guides do take me back to exam time at school a bit ) or because the end result is not a guaranteed road to success ?

cheers
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I have five VOB files of one movie. and I have a subtitle file for this movie.
    How can i add one subtitle file to these five VOB files?
    thx
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The way I solve subtitles problems is to experiment. I used Handbrake to convert a German language VOB file version of Klaus Kinski's Nosferatu 1979, then once converted, simply added a set of *.srt subtitles file to that single file and the subs worked worked perfectly. That's possibly a workaround purists won't like.

Right this moment, I'm experimenting with adding downloaded *.srt files to each of the three VOB files in my off the shelf copy of Company of Wolves 1984. The experiment works on the first *.vob file perfectly. But I haven't tried putting one under EACH FILE YET, fearing that if I do, the VOB files might not automatically move to the next *.vob file, which uses the same complete film *.srt file, a move, unfettered VOBs do automatically without a *.srt file between them. Anybody tried this? I'm about to try it now. You don't normally have to waste a DVD to do it. Just do it in your browser first, with the *.srt inserted just below each VOB.
    Quote Quote  
  20. 1) It makes little sense to bump a 15 years old thread to solve a current issue.
    2) For anyone reading this in thah futuah, the above question got answered here.
    Quote Quote