VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Can someone give me an estimate on the ripping time for a 2 hour movie (DVD) with the following config:

1) 16X DVD-ROM
    2) 1.2GHz Athlon + 256MB memory
    3) Windows 2000
    4) 60GB UDMA-100 hard drive dedicated to video captured

I am planning to use the DVD2AVI (Sefy) method. The rip time should only include time to rip VOB then convert to AVI (with audio file too). Please exclude the TMPGEnc convert time.

Please help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. easydivx061 with this program it will take 4 to 5 hrs tops ok
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    With SmartRipper : a few minutes to get the VOB
    then
    With FlasMPEG : the time of the movie x 2.5 to convert it to AVI...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pentium III866 and 256MB RAM and SEFYS method.

90 minute DVD.

11 minutes to extract vob
    15 minutes to create DV2 file
    6.5 hours to encode

You need one BIG BIG hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Athlon 1.2Gz and 256RAM and NOT sefys method.

I agree with TOMMO : My diskcappacity is about a 'small' 100Gb, just enough to process 2 to 3 DVD's at a time...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Using Sefy's Method:
    Rip vobs (I have only a 10x DVD drive - rips at 2.5 kbps)
    Can take up to 20+ minutes
    DVD2avi takes 5 minutes to create d2v and Demux audio track
    TMPG to VCD takes up to 6 hours

File Sizes:
    I have a drive partitioned into (1) 8 gig Rip Drive (can take up to 6 gig for raw vobs, then 1 gig for ac3 demuxed audio track, .5 gig for d2v script), and (1) 1.5 gig Encode Drive (to handle up to (2) 700 meg cdr vcd segments).

Both are completely formatted fresh between each disc's creation. Also, I hgihly recommend using the SOurce Range option in TMPG prior to setting up your project files for batch encoding. This will let you split it to 2 discs so you're ready to burn following encoding.
    ~~~Spidey~~~

"Gonna find my time in Heaven, cause I did my time in Hell........I wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well......" - The Man - Keef Riffards
    Quote Quote  

7. Thanks so much for all your answers.

So, I figure it would take me about 30min to rip the DVD, then about 5 hours to convert to VCD using TMPGenc (I verified it to be 2.25X on my machine to convert from 720x480 AVI to VCD).

I got a total of 90GB on my machine (60GB just for captured video) so HDD is not an issue for me.

Again, many thanks

Quote Quote  
  8. If this helps...

850 intel laptop 128 Ram, 12X DVD rom.

Rip 120 min movie with Smart Ripper = approx. 13 min.
    convert to .d2v & audio with dvd2avi = approx. 22 min.
    (converting w/ dvd2avi using 'ultrahigh' sound setting = 2hours 30 minutes)

TMPGEnc encoding to standard VCD is approx. 6 hours

So all in all I would say about 7 hours for a bare bones conversion with normal sound quality and about 9 hours with highest sound quality.

Remember this, Smartripper will not rip your DVD at your DVD rom's max speed. That will depend on what applications you have running, processor speed and cleanliness of the DVD disc.

Quote Quote  
  9. A little off topic but:
    I play a DVD or VCR tape and feed it directly into the Radeon card and capture to XVCD. Then it's ready to burn. Time: length of movie. The results are as good as I've ever gotten with TMPG for VCD resolution.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Dear Steve_h,
    yes, we all know that with a hardware capture card, it is much faster to capture DVD or tape then burn to VCD,SVCD or SVCD.
    However, my system has been setup to capture DV video via Firewire. I may consider an hardware MPEG-2 capture in the future.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I have an AMD Athlon 1.2Ghz, Asus A7A 266 motherboard, 1GB RAM, 160GB HD 7200RPM 2MB, Pioneer 16X DVD, Plextor 16X CD-RW, ATI AIW Radeon, Soundblaster Live 5.1 + mp3.

Times taken to rip DVD:

SmartRipper 9min.
    DVD2AVI 18min.
    TMPG encoding with illegal vcd template 4.5 hrs.

Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did my first DVD rip and covert to VCD using Flask.

I did it directly from my 12x DVD-rom

It was a 1hr 46min film and took 9hrs 16mins for my Duron 800 with 128mb

A bit longer than most people I see here but I think the quality is great and no big vob files on my hard drive
    Quote Quote  

13. OK, I have tested quite thoroughly on my system.

For a 2 hour movie:
    1) Smartripper: 5 min 30 sec (rip speed from 3.5X to 10X)
    2) DVD2AVI: 5 min 15 sec
    3) TMPGEnc: 4.5 hours (to VCD)

My system config is:
    1) 12X DVD-ROM (UDMA-33)
    2) 1.2GHz Athlon + 256MB memory
    3) Windows 2000
    4) 60GB UDMA-100 hard drive dedicated to video captured

I am quite happy with this result.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hmm, everybody has such a low DVD2AVI time.. are your sound settings set to low? I use high and it takes 50min on my machine (Tbird 700).
    Quote Quote  
  15. System Config:
    PIII 700
    384 megs RAM
    two 30gig UDMA 100 Video drives

Rip - Approx. 7-15 min. depending on source(DVD Decrypter)
    DVD2AVI - Approx. 25 min
    TMPGenc - Approx. 12-18 hrs. for SVCD using templates from here(www.dvdripguides.com)
    BBMPEG - Approx. 15 min. to cut and remux.

The resulting SVCD is FANTASTIC quality!!
    zeppsstteerr
    Quote Quote  
  16. smartripper 15 min
    dvd2avi 60-120 minutes (!)
    tmpeg 4-6 hrs

1Gig PentIII
    512MB PC133 RAM
    Radeon 64MB VIVO
    12 GIG free on UDMA 100 7200RPM drive dedicated to capture.

Excelent question Kai. My dvd2avi duration seems to be out of whack too. As per Sefy's instructions I did not change ANY settings in dvd2avi. Can't understand why its taking so long.

Steve_h: how do you circumvent macrovision protection with a direct feed as you describe?
    Quote Quote  
  17. <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    On 2001-07-23 14:00:07, unstuck2 wrote:
    smartripper 15 min
    dvd2avi 60-120 minutes (!)
    tmpeg 4-6 hrs

1Gig PentIII
    512MB PC133 RAM
    Radeon 64MB VIVO
    12 GIG free on UDMA 100 7200RPM drive dedicated to capture.

Excelent question Kai. My dvd2avi duration seems to be out of whack too. As per Sefy's instructions I did not change ANY settings in dvd2avi. Can't understand why its taking so long.

Steve_h: how do you circumvent macrovision protection with a direct feed as you describe?
    </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR></TABLE>

I'v got several systems,some with over 1GZ and and have never seen rip speeds in excess of 1.7x (my Athelon with a 12x Creative drive is only getting 0.7x) What's different about our systems? One thing I did notice is that the DVD speed specs on the drives are for DVD-ROM mode and not DVD video mode. Might some drives be snails, perhaps intentionally, in video mode?
    Quote Quote  
  18. It seems like most of you are able to encode a typical 2-hour movie to VCD using TMPEGEnc in approx. 5 hours. I'm having problems getting below 12 hours - can anyone help me out with this?

System config:
    --------------
    PIII-500
    192 MB RAM
    46 GB HD
    Win2K

RIP-encode method:
    smartripper (15 min) -> dvd2avi -> virtual dub frameserver -> tmpegenc (13 hours)

Is it time for me to upgrade the system??
    Quote Quote  
  19. yep, poppe.
    i think we both must upgrade our system to get the job done faster.
    mine was a little faster than yours (600mhz) and taking the same amout of time.
    Quote Quote  
  20. OK, dvd2avi always took around 6 to 11 minutes depending on the DVD movies (all around 2 hours long).
    I really don't know why some takes 6 and some take 11 mins. dvd2avi does not access the DVD-ROM. I believed the HDD and CPU speed are crucial here.
    Smartripper does access DVD-ROM obviously. Rip speed depends on : DVD-ROM performance, HDD performance, CPU performance and cleanliness of the disc itself. When the disc is dirty (with visible grease on it), it may take up to 40min to rip a DVD !!!
    I am still looking for a benchmark software so I can run on my system to test the sequential read thruput of the DVD-ROM. This way, we will know for sure how fast the DVD-ROM really reads. For HDD, my capture software has a built-in thruput test.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Guys, to answer the question of 'getting over 1.7x ripping question' make the DVD-Rom Master by using the little jumper settings on the rear of the drive, and then putting it on its own UDMA port (one drive, one drive cable). After it reboots, go into Control Panel, System, click on the CD-Rom heading to open it up, double click on the properties and click the enable DMA box to check it as to enable it. I get (depends on the title) up to 4.7x ripping.
    If it starts 'not working correctly', or your system fails to boot, then make the DVD-Rom slave and it should boot, and then unclick the DMA box. By doing that I believe it enables bus-mastering which makes for much better results. I am running a celeron 600 mhz and I can usually rip a DVD in 10-15 minutes.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    On 2001-07-31 10:06:05, ktnwin wrote:
    I really don't know why some takes 6 and some take 11 mins. dvd2avi does not access the DVD-ROM. I believed the HDD and CPU speed are crucial here.
    Smartripper does access DVD-ROM obviously. Rip speed depends on : DVD-ROM performance, HDD performance, CPU performance and cleanliness of the disc itself. When the disc is dirty (with visible grease on it), it may take up to 40min to rip a DVD !!!

also depends on where the VOB files are on the disc (inner or outer tracks). you'll note that as smartripper progresses, reading each VOB file, working its way from the inner tracks to outer tracks, the rip speed will improve, approaching the max read speed of the DVD-ROM. i see this happen all of the time using my 6X DVD-ROM drive. the rip starts out at about 2X on the first VOB file, and by the time it gets to the third or fourth VOB file, the speed is around 4.8X - 5.6X, hitting 6.0X occassionally, on my AMD K6-3 350Mhz machine.

multi-angle movies and dual layer discs (movie VOBs on second layer) also affect overall rip times.
    Quote Quote  
  23. <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    On 2001-07-31 11:36:06, miatame wrote:
    Guys, to answer the question of 'getting over 1.7x ripping question' make the DVD-Rom Master by using the little jumper settings on the rear of the drive, and then putting it on its own UDMA port (one drive, one drive cable). After it reboots, go into Control Panel, System, click on the CD-Rom heading to open it up, double click on the properties and click the enable DMA box to check it as to enable it. I get (depends on the title) up to 4.7x ripping.
    If it starts 'not working correctly', or your system fails to boot, then make the DVD-Rom slave and it should boot, and then unclick the DMA box. By doing that I believe it enables bus-mastering which makes for much better results. I am running a celeron 600 mhz and I can usually rip a DVD in 10-15 minutes.

Well, I'm using W2000 on both a Celeron 500MHz and Athlon 1.4 GHz machines. Both have the DVD-ROM as master (or CS on the master connector) on IDE channel 1 and the UDMA/100 drive on IDE channel 2. Ripping on both are both systems is slow. I have no idea how enable driver DMA (on W98 its simple). No on-line help from th evendors either.
    Quote Quote  

24. I don't know if putting the DVD-ROM as master or slave has any effect on the rip speed. My system has Win2K and:

1) 30GB HDD (master on primary) for OS/apps + MPEG files archive
    2) 60GB HDD (slave on primary) for video capture
    3) CD writer (master on secondary)
    4) 12X DVD-ROM (slave on secondary)

Rip always from DVD-ROM to the 60GB HDD, and the rip speed starts from 3.6x (at ID) and goes up to 11x (at OD). Not all discs can reach 11x, but some do.

Quote Quote  
  25. The differenct DVD2AVI times are mostly due to if you downmix the audio from 48k to 44.1k. This takes a LOT of time. The VCD standard calls for 44.1k but DVDs use 48k and pretty much every DVD player will play a S/VCD with 48k. However, some computer sound cards can't.

If you only plan to watch VCDs on your stand alone there's really no need to downmix the audio.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Ok these are my system specifications:
    Intel P2 450 Mhz
    256 MB RAM
    Riva TNT2 32 MB
    Soundblaster 16
    Hitachi DVD-ROM mayby 1x or 2x
    One 8 GB harddrive and one 10 GB

1. Is it possible for me to rip DVD's to SVCD/XVCD/XSVCD? (it probably is but will take long time...)
    2. How long will it take? eg, Smartripper X min, Dvd2avi X min, Tmpeg X hours, or should i just use DVD2SVCD?
    3. Is my harddrive enough?

Quote Quote  
  27. Hi Vejita-sama,

I never downmix the audio, I just leave it at 48Khz. It was just a curiosity. DVD2AVI is always fast for me. Only the Rip part varies from 5 min to 20min (depending on the discs). Luckily, most discs takes less than 7min.

Can you tell me how to rip subtitle then encode it in VCD/XVCD ? (BTW, I don't generate SVCD for DVD rip because of the 3 CDs problem). SVCD are only for my home video.

Quote Quote  
  28. Hi Sakoria,
    If your DVD-ROM is only 1x or 2x, then it will take forever to rip a DVD. If you want to try it, just go ahead. Assuming 1X DVD, the rip speed is:
    SmartRipper: 120min (for 2 hours)
    DVD2AVI: 20min
    TMPGenc: 16 hours approx.
    TOTAL: 18hr 20min
    plus some misc. CD burn, setup for encoding, it will take 20 hours or more.
    Quote Quote