1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How to convert DVD to DIVX/XVID with gui4ffmpeg

Single VOB

1 Load the VOB file with Open file
    2 Select mpeg4 in the Target list box.
    3 Choose PAL or NTSC in the Format field.
    4 Under Aspect you should use the aspect ratio of the source.
    5 Change Bitrate and Width/Height optionally.
    6 Change audio Bitrate optionally.
    7 Enter correct Video and Audio stream.
    In the Source property field is displayed:

Duration: 00:08:44.9, start: 6355.384000, bitrate: 6965 kb/s
    Stream #0.0 Id: 1e0: Video: mpeg2video, 720x576, 25.00 fps, 9800 kb/s
    Stream #0.1 Id: 80: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5:1, 448 kb/s
    Stream #0.2 Id: 81: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, stereo, 224 kb/s
    Stream #0.3 Id: 82: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, stereo, 224 kb/s

The video stream is #0.0 Id: 1e0: Video,
    you have to enter 0 into the Video field. Three audio steams are available. If you don't know, which is
    the right one, you can test them.
    Enter the stream number of the first audio stream (#0.1 Id: 80:
    Audio) into the Audio field.
    Press the Test button. Ffmpeg's DOS box occurs and the audio will be encoded. Close the DOS box after a few seconds.
    The standard media player will be opened. Listen to the audio. Is it the correct language, continue with step 8.
    If you want to encode more then one VOB file from the same DVD,
    remember the Id of the audio stream, in this example the Id of the first audio stream is 80.
    If the language is not correct, test the next audio stream.

8 Select the output file with Save file.
    9 Press the Generate button, the ffmpeg command will be displayed.
    10 In the Enter more options field the vtag (fourcc) is displayed with the value xvid.
    You may change this into divx.
    11 Press the Encode button. Ffmpeg's DOS box occurs and the VOB file will be encoded.
    12 Close the DOS box, if the process is finished.

All VOB files from a DVD

For the first VOB file accomplish the steps 1 to 7 as described above.
    Select from the menu Batch->Clear batch file and then Add to batch.
    Load the next VOB file. Now you have to enter the video and audio stream
    numbers. The may be different from file to file of the same DVD, e.g.: #0.3 Id: 80: Audio. But the Id (80) will be the same.
    If you remember of the Id from the first VOB file, you can take the stream number from the line with the given Id.
    In our example you have to look for the stream with the Id 80 and to enter 3 in the Audio field.
    Determine the output file (e.g. Test2.avi) and select Batch->Add to batch from the menu.
    Repeat this procedure for all VOB's of the DVD and select Batch->Run batch from the menu.
    Ffmpeg's DOS box occurs and the VOB files will be encoded. Close the DOS box, if the process is finished.

Remark: If the encoded files to large, you should increase the qmin parameter step by step.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nice ! Talk about easy. No need for AVISynth frame serving.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I notice the audio type box is greyed out. Does that mean it can ONLY do MP3? If so, that sucks.
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The audio codec depends from selected video target. For mpeg4 only mp3, for svcd/vcd only mp2 and for dvd only mp2 and ac3 are allowed.
    This is done to make is easier for unexperienced users.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ah, got it. That's very cool then! (I was looking for the AC3 support)
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @gui4ffmpeg

nice GUI (and guide) !!!
    but some AVI files, i want to convert to DVD format, have audio stream at 44000 Hz and i must add in command string the right parameter for this
    can you do something about it

thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Be carefull, the DVD standard is 48000. If your avi has
    44100 then encode it to DVD. No parameter is necessary.
    Gui4ffmpeg converts 44100 to 48000 without any problems.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Folks should be aware that batch mode does not append to pre-existing files -- it stomps on them. So you need to save each VOB file to a unique file, then concatinate them using some other tool. I'm surprised this was overlooked in the instructions above. I imagine the DOS copy command will do the trick, and you can probably compose it directly in the batch file upon viewing it. Haven't tried it yet though.

Also pay attention to the pixel addressability. The tool cuts it in half by default. You have to manually change it to 720x480 for every file if you don't want to lose any resolution, because the tool resets to 320x240. However, be aware that this tool has the horizontal blinders artifact when 740x480 is used - so this tool is only good for 320x240.

update:I must retract a couple things I just said.. this recently came up in another thread. ffmpeg works fine at 720x480 as long as the bitrate is in a good range for that resolution. The default 900 kbps is not high enough, and causes the window binds artifact.

I should also add that it is useless to use batch mode to convert multiple parts of a single flick. ffmpeg offers no mechanism to ensure that all files in a batch process have the same bitrate; they all come out slightly different. Then VirtualDub fails to merge the AVIs because of this inconsistency. And concatinating the files with cat or copy does not work with AVIs. So ffmpeg is only useful for conversions on a single large VOB source.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bitrate setting:
    If you choose the target file name, the standard values will be set again.
    This is visible in the GUI and will be corrected in next version.
    Workarround:
    Before you change the settings, choose the output file
    under "save file" and make your settings (bitrate, size) afterwards.

To join the encoded AVI files see this guide:

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=265021&highlight=gui4ffmpeg
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I keep getting a error message when I follow all of the directions... I'll post some screen prints...
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm having a problem. When I try clicking on TEST button to test the audio and video "no. of stream to encode" , it gives an error message :

steam test file was not created.

And when I clik on the encode button, the DOS screen appears and disappears in a second and nothing happens after then. What could be the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The easiest way to figure out what happens is to make the complete settings in gui4ffmpeg and to press the generate button.
    The command string for ffmpeg will be displayed. Copy this string, open a dos box and paste and execute the command string in the dos box.
    A lot of information will occur. If you can't fix the error, send the gui4ffmpeg screenshot and the output from the dos box, please.
    The home of the sun - http://www.blueview.de.vu
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I like the program, but I'd like to know a little more. The default is 320x240: is the original size the better size? And if you keep the original size would you need a higher bitrate than the default 900? (What would be a good bitrate for something 720x480 assuming I wouldn't mind a larger file size if the quality were good enough? And if you are converting multiple VOB files do you need a separate program to join them together? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is one of the best tool ever I have used for ripping my DVD collection. I would like to know if someone knows how to extract subtitles?

Any help on this is appreciated

Regards,
    Vaibhav Kapoor
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have to admit, this utility really has been a great help in converting my recorded VOB files into AVI, although recently it's been making an awful habit of chopping chunks out of the middle of 'em as they're converting. Anyone got a clue as to why this might be?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jgombos
    I must retract a couple things I just said.. this recently came up in another thread. ffmpeg works fine at 720x480 as long as the bitrate is in a good range for that resolution. The default 900 kbps is not high enough, and causes the window binds artifact.
    i use gui4ffmpeg all the time and i have encoded mpeg-2 and mpeg 4 files up to 1920x1080 without any problem, all you need to do is make sure you use enough bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, gui4ffmpeg, for the great tool. It's been a big help although I seem to have the same problem that ShadowX114 had. Other than generating a command string, some other functions don't seem to work. I'll try to explain it clearly. Once I load my file, and make some settings, the gui looks like this:

the problem starts with the source properties. The file I loaded was a 320x240 xvid avi with pcm audio. As you can see, the properties displayed are the same as the stock test.txt file in the conf folder. After that, "Test" gives only "Stream test file was not created" and "Encode" minimizes and restores but there's no encode. Also, under "Batch", "Add Current Command" doesn't add any lines to batch.bat. Clear, view and run seem to work, but with nothing in the batch file, there's nothing to run.

It seems that not many people are having this problem, but at least a few do. Up 'till now I've put it down to being a "WinME problem that no one understands" So I thought I'd put up some details to help.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    GTRBudda

Please copy the command string from the "Generate" field.
    Open a DOS box and paste the command string. So you'll
    have some more information.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Normally the video stream is #0:0 and audio is #0:1.
    But in some sources the order of audio and video streams are
    switched like here:
    Input #0, asf, from 'Y:\nixdorf\drive_g\Temp\Tortuga_2parte.wmv':
    Duration: 00:00:30.7, start: 5.101000, bitrate: 259 kb/s
    Stream #0.0: Audio: wmav2, 44100 Hz, mono, 32 kb/s
    Stream #0.1: Video: msmpeg4, yuv420p, 320x240, 25.00 fps(r)

In this case you have to change the settings in the fields:
    No. of stream to encode: Video 1 Audio 0
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, thanks for the reply. Yes, I've copied the command string from the generate field, and pasted it into a .bat file. It's sometimes to long to go into a command prompt, as it was in this case. The commands work fine, and I see the info as the file is encoded. But my original point was that the information about the avi (or any other type of file) doesn't show up in the gui's source property field, and the other functions I mentioned. I never thought of this as a bug of some sort, but as a quirk of my shabby little HP Pavillion. But where I see that someone else has had a similar problem, I thought I'd mention it. Anyway, thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    gui4ffmpeg: the changelog associated with the latest version of your software claims that AVC/AAC files can be created with it, how does one go about doing it?

i have already tried adding the "-acodec aac" and "-vtag x264" switches to the command line but while xvid is replaced with x264, aac gets added to the command line in addition to what ever other audio option is chosen, i.e. you end up with something like: -acodec aac -acodec mp3.

i have also tried editing the batch file, but i still end up with a file that can't be opened by GOM, MPC, VLC, or MPlayer, though MPlayer does play the first few seconds of sound.

the source file is a TS composed of an MPEG-2 muxed with 2 channel AC3 audio, gui4ffmpeg correctly sees all the streams characteristics if i open it with the "all files" option and it transcodes just fine with the rest of the possible output (vcd, svcd, dvd, xvid and divx all work fine).

any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    deadrats
    Sorry for this misunderstanding. Gui4ffmpeg supports mp4
    for loading .mp4 files and encode them to DVD, SVCD, VCD and
    mpeg4.
    You may use ffmpeg directly (eg. mpeg4 with batch).

change
    -acodec mp3 to -acodec aac
    -vcodec mpeg4 to -vcodec h264

delete
    -vtag xvid

add
    -qmax 15

If you'll get an error message, try this ffmpeg:
    http://arrozcru.no-ip.org/ffmpeg_builds/static/ffmpeg-SVN-r7215-static-gpl-win32.zip
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    gui4ffmpeg:

this might be a dumb question, but your application isn't open source is it? the reason i'm asking is because i would like to make a custom version with the ability to encode to AVC/AAC built right into the gui, rather than needing to modify the batch file all the time. if it is open source, were can i find the source and what did you code it in: VB, Lasarus, hand crafted C/C++?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    deadrats

Gui4ffmpeg isn't open source. But in the next version i'll put
    h264 and aac as mp4 into the gui.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GTRBudda
    Hey, thanks for the reply. Yes, I've copied the command string from the generate field, and pasted it into a .bat file. It's sometimes to long to go into a command prompt, as it was in this case. The commands work fine, and I see the info as the file is encoded. But my original point was that the information about the avi (or any other type of file) doesn't show up in the gui's source property field, and the other functions I mentioned. I never thought of this as a bug of some sort, but as a quirk of my shabby little HP Pavillion. But where I see that someone else has had a similar problem, I thought I'd mention it. Anyway, thanks again.
    I had the same problem, and it stemmed from me not having the DIRECTORY structure of gui4ffmpeg setup properly from the DOWNLOADED ZIP/RAR file.

Instead I had SLAMMED it all into one directory.

Once I recreated with the proper directory structure, THEN video information showed up, AND the BATCH file worked properly.

MAYBE not the case with you, but it worked FINALLY for me.

GOOD LUCK!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for that, faidwen. I thought it might be something like that, but unfortunately I haven't been able to find the right folder structure to make it work. Could you possibly post the path that you used?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Hell Yeah! Im a total Noob to converting videos and making them still look good and this program kicks ass! Thanks to the original poster and guide writer! You saved me many hours of uploading .vob files. Now I can just upload .avi's that look just as great!

Wilmero
    what more can I say...
    Quote Quote  
  28. Help! I'm having a lot of trouble so any help gratefully received. I don't understand half the words people use in this forum as it's all new to me. I just want to convert a VOB file I have on DVD to something that I can use in Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0. I tried using this tool but I don't even know half the things I'm supposed to input - like bitrates (what's that?), width/height and correct video/audio stream. How do I find that information? Then, the 'source material' doesn't appear in the box (although the VOB file does play on my computer - on WinDVD5) so nothing works.

I know this will look like an idiotic question but if anyone can help me out I'd be very grateful. I've been trying for days and I'm close to the edge!
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by MatthewWarren
    Help! I'm having a lot of trouble so any help gratefully received. I don't understand half the words people use in this forum as it's all new to me. I just want to convert a VOB file I have on DVD to something that I can use in Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0. I tried using this tool but I don't even know half the things I'm supposed to input - like bitrates (what's that?), width/height and correct video/audio stream. How do I find that information? Then, the 'source material' doesn't appear in the box (although the VOB file does play on my computer - on WinDVD5) so nothing works.

I know this will look like an idiotic question but if anyone can help me out I'd be very grateful. I've been trying for days and I'm close to the edge!
    OK, no need to answer the above message as I found another download - ImTOO DVD Ripper - which works.
    Quote Quote  
  30. When I open a VOB, no properties show. What is wrong?
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
    Quote Quote