VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Does anyone know a freeware program that allows video's to be play backwards? Like .avi's and whatever else. Even if you can only view it backwards, that would be fine.
    Even better, it would be nice if you could also encode it to play backwards, so i could send just the .avi file, or whatever, to people without them having to use the program to view it backwards.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Most NLE's (Vegas, Premiere, AVID, etc) have a effect function/plugin that allow you to reverse the clip or entire timeline. This must almost always be rendered as a separate file, however.
    Once rendered, you can do what you want with it--encode, stream, email...

Scott

(Sorry, No "Backwards Players" that I know of. Also, once encoded to MPEG, it gets much more complicated--P & B frames in the GOP must already have info from the earlier I frame.)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AVISynth:
    reverse()
    Quote Quote  
  4. For playing i dont know, but for encoding backwards use AviSynth (free, thats what you asked for) with a script like for example this:

AVISource("c:\MyVideo.avi")
    Reverse()

You can also play the AviSynth script in for example Mediaplayer, but i guess you need a damn fast PC to play it smoothly.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the replies and info.

I installed AviSynth 2.0.8., but i am unable to start the program. There is no launcher button.
    I think maybe i'm missing something here. I'm trying to understand this script thing, but i'm not quite sure what to do.

I had Vegas at one point, but my trial ended. Grrrr.

I guess Pinnacle Studio has the reverse function in one of it's plugins, but i'm not paying $20 for it.

It's too bad there's no backwards player. You'd think there would be something like that out there since playing audio in reverse is so painfully easy. I do realize that video is more complicated, but come on, lol.
    Quote Quote  
  6. AviSynth has no frontend, it does its things in the background when needed.
    Use Notepad, write in the script, save it with .AVS extension. Then Rightclick the AVS file and choose Open With.., select program from a list, doubleclick on Windows mediaplayer. Next time you can just drag and drop it into mediaplayer (WMP9 at least).
    For encoding you can just drag and drop it in your favorite encoder, for ex CCE or VirtualDub or whatever.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by thor300
    AviSynth has no frontend, it does its things in the background when needed.
    Use Notepad, write in the script, save it with .AVS extension. Then Rightclick the AVS file and choose Open With.., select program from a list, doubleclick on Windows mediaplayer. Next time you can just drag and drop it into mediaplayer (WMP9 at least).
    For encoding you can just drag and drop it in your favorite encoder, for ex CCE or VirtualDub or whatever.
    I was thinking my install went wacky, then i started thinking that this program is used in a different way. And it looks like it is.

I started to look at the faqs link when i got a message that you replied.

Thanks for the info though. It'll get me going faster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looking for those pesky Satanic messages again?
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try this http://home.t-online.de/home/klaus.horst/hobby/vtoolbox_de.html -- it will create a backwards file. (the website is in German - I think, but the program has English as an option).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One of the freeware video editors in the "Tools" section ("Advanced Video Editors" category) might do the job:

Avid Free DV
    Zwei Stein
    Wax 2
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I admit it, I could be wrong. I thought that some programs had a speed value that could be entered as a negative to get the reverse play effect. ????
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ZAPPER
    I admit it, I could be wrong. I thought that some programs had a speed value that could be entered as a negative to get the reverse play effect. ????
    That certainly works in Premiere (done as a percentage). I don't know about the ones I quoted above, I just know that they are fairly well regarded (considering they're freeware) and so might be able to do the job. A little investigation on the OP's part is required...
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Actually, the AVID line uses the J-K-L keys to play Reverse-Stop/Pause-Forward. Kind of overkill just to "play" a file backwards, but they do work. (They also have a motion effect tool that allows you to input ±% speeds)

IIRC, a number of other NLE's are now using similar key combinations to AVID's (incl. Premiere)--should do the same thing.

Notice that all the other suggestions involve creating a file, i.e. rendering. That is your best bet for standard players, particularly if using codecs that have non-keyframe capability. You may not always know what kind of system your "audience" will have.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  14. Edit:

I noticed that I have other problems, too: My avs files only have a size of 1kb and when I try to play it in VirtualDub only the first seconds are shown and then the program crashes. I can't play it in Windows Media Player either. (I could swear that I could play them there before.)

I installed the Fourcc XviD codec (before I had an error message in VirtualDub that told me AviSynth can't open the file because of XviD missing) but maybe I need something else, as well?

This is the first time for me to work in AviSynth and VirtualDub so I'd be glad if someone can help me out.

------------------------

Hi,

I know this thread is very old but I hope my question is seen.

I used AviSynth to reverse my videos and I wanted to convert them in VirtualDub.

When I start the conversion process the processing sort of stops in the middle.
    (See screenshot.)
    Officially it's still running (as in, the program doesn't freeze until I hit abort) but even after quite some time there is no progress and I can only cancle the process. This also leads VirtualDub to crash.
    In the end I receive a video with the first 10 seconds of my avs video.

I tried to find another free converter but so far none that I have found could handle avs. : /

Any tips how I can get VirtualDub running properly or an alternative that is free and works with avs?

Thank you very much!

Click image for larger version

Name:	bandicam 2015-05-12 12-00-01-447.jpg
Views:	788
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	31632
    Last edited by Kelhaim; 12th May 2015 at 06:47.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Here is a demo video using AviUtl, demonstrating how to reverse (note the -100 ), shrink, and move a video's position. Then finally encodes, and what to do if error occurs.
    The audio track does not reverse play however.

You can stop the video once it gets to the encoding.

I used the QSVEnc encoder, which will not work if you do not have an Intel Core-i series CPU. In that case, choose x264GuiEx. The process is similar.

If you have further question on this software, please post in the "AviUtl Support Thread" inside the "Editing" board section.
    Image Attached Files
    Stopping development until someone save me from poverty or get me out of Hong Kong...
    Twitter @MaverickTse
    Quote Quote  
  16. Playing long GOP videos backward can be difficult. I recommend you first encode forward to a lossless, all keyframe codec like huffyuv, lagarith, or ut video codec. Then reverse that for your final encoding.
    Quote Quote