VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi All

Just a quickie, ive been sent a few avi files from a mate but the sound volume is very very low on them, so i can hear it when i turn my speakers right up, is there any software i can use to increase the volume on the avi file or in an mpeg file.

Many Thanks

Chris
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No. You have to demux the audio, convert to wav, edit (increase volume) reencode to whatever format you want it in, then multiplex it back with the video.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  3. ok, that all sounds quite complicated, lol, are there any guides on this atall so i can see what software to use?

Cheers

Chris
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Demuxing and muxing AVI: VirtualDub.
    Audio editing and conversion to wav: Goldwave.
    Encoding to MP3: CDEx, lame...
    Encoding to AC3: ffmpeggui

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  5. I do all such stuff with Premiere Pro, it has pretty good tools for audio editing.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi, just a quickie, are there nay guides to doing all this editing either on premire pro or the other programs above, and what is demuxing?

Cheers

Chris
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by c_a_konopka
    and what is demuxing
    Read, and thou shalt learn!

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  8. If the files are only for watching once or twice i use ONLY virtualdub, very easy.
    1-Open file in virtualdub
    2-Click on Video -> Direct Stream Copy
    3-Click Audio -> Full Processing Mode
    4-Click Audio -> Volume, then check "Adjust Volume of Audio Channels" and set the slider to for example 303%.
    5-Click File -> Save as AVI, enter a new filename and Ok.
    Thats all, and you dont even have to know theres something called demux and mux. But! the file will be big as the audio is now uncompressed, not very suitable for archiving.

Edit: If its an Mpeg you need to leave Video in Full Processing Mode (unless you got a lot of harddisk space or a short video) and set a compression (i would recommend XVid) under the menu Video -> Compression. This will take quite a bit longer time btw.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thior,

I tried following your instructions below to edit the volume levels in my .avi file but I get an error message (ASF files are not supported). What am I doing wrong and how can I get around this error message so Virtualdub can recognize my video file? I have 3 short movies (6-8 mins each) that I edited on Windows Movie Maker. The footage is great, but the audio is way too low. I just want to be able to increase the audio levels. If you can help me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    thor300
    If the files are only for watching once or twice i use ONLY virtualdub, very easy.
    1-Open file in virtualdub
    2-Click on Video -> Direct Stream Copy
    3-Click Audio -> Full Processing Mode
    4-Click Audio -> Volume, then check "Adjust Volume of Audio Channels" and set the slider to for example 303%.
    5-Click File -> Save as AVI, enter a new filename and Ok.
    Thats all, and you dont even have to know theres something called demux and mux. But! the file will be big as the audio is now uncompressed, not very suitable for archiving.

Edit: If its an Mpeg you need to leave Video in Full Processing Mode (unless you got a lot of harddisk space or a short video) and set a compression (i would recommend XVid) under the menu Video -> Compression. This will take quite a bit longer time btw.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What you're doing wrong is you told us you had an AVI file, so we gave you info on working with AVI files, but you DON'T have an AVI file.
    You have an ASF/WMV file that has been badly named. It's clear, because you said you edited stuff on WMM and that application is set up for outputting in WMV (it's possible to output to DV-AVI, but not easy/straightforward, so it's clear that's not what you did).

The parts you did with Vdub, use ASFTools to demux, decode and save as WAVE.
    When it comes time to re-encode, use Windows Media Encoder, and WM Muxer to remux with the original video stream.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's no substitute for actually looking at the audio in an editor. I once had a file that had extremely low volume.
    Normalizing to -0db had no effect. I looked at it in the editor, and at first I didn't see anything. I zoomed in a little and scrolled all
    the way to the end. Right there, close to the end of the file, was a glitch - a click, probably just a few samples long at -0db.

Once the spike was dealt with, the rest of the audio was easy to fix.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for taking the time to point out what I had done wrong and for offering an alternative solution to my problem. I will proceed as you all suggest and hopefully I will be able to address this issue I am having with my audio. Thanks again for your support..it's much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the audio is MP3 or AAC try using my version of AVI Gain:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/255147-Mini-Guide-Normalizing-Audio-for-Multiple-AV...=1#post2096824

It doesn't support Mpeg directly right now...however editing the source code would allow it.

Using my script however will also re-encode audio if it's in other formats to AAC.
    Quote Quote  
  14. i guess, the easiest way would be using ffmpeg-cli.
    code would look like....
    ffmpeg -vcodec copy -acodec (according to your final format of audio) -p 1 -p 2 -p3 -vol (i do not know ffmpeg volume scale, i assume either dB or may be linear)
    where as - p 1 -p 2 and -p 3 are optional audio parameters.
    some pro ffmpeg user can assist you more details or you can refer to ffmpeg manual, as i am not in a position to give you correct code coz i am little bit out-of-touch with current development and new parameter syntax.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have an AVI theres a simple tool to use here that's called Yamb and it will extract the mp3 and after fixing you can combine it again. You need to extract both the audio and the video so you combine the plain video with the fixed audio. Theres even a portable Goldwave out there that I use, the only difference from the installed version is the portable doesnt have any presets you can choose for flanger for instance.

I'm a super noob compared to everyone here but I know a couple things.
    ¤ EM64T P4 Prescott (Socket T) CPU 3.4ghz, 3gig nonecc, OCZ Platinum Memory, Vid Card E Gforce 8800 GTS, 1 100GB serial ata; sata installed with Windows 7 home premium.
    Quote Quote