VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Did not see this question come up in a search of the forum so thought I would post it.

I have an .avi that plays relatively poorly on my Mac (either in VLC or QT) but only in the sense of dropped frames and some CPU dependency. The audio is fine when I simply play it back.

When I try to reencode for DVD (using either QT or mplayer) however, the audio is replaced on both channels, by a very loud buzzing noise. The film comes up with PAL 25 as the default encoding option (in fact trying to force NTSC 29 results in no VIDEO_TS folder being able to be produced). I've been leaving the audio at the default setting (AC3). The buzzing comes up in Preview as well and I haven't been able to find an audio setting that changes this but I have not explored all teh options available.

So I thought I would throw this out there to see if this sounded familiar to anyone else before I invested more time in trying to troubleshoot this blindly. Sorry I'm posting at work so I can't provide more details from teh encoding logs but, if it would be useful, I can certainly add this later today.

Major, I'd be happy to provide a sample (provided I'm able to cut and paste from QTPro, haven't tried yet) if you want to have a closer look.

TIA.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Yes, you can send me a download link to major4@mac.com. It is the first time I got such report.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hmm strange, it looks like I can't play it under QT afterall. It still plays fine under VLC but I was wrong about QT, I actually don't get any video. I get a QT error that states I don't have the proper compressor to play the video track. If I continue (in QT with a blank screen) and try to cut a fragment to send, then I get an error that the copy could not be completed b/c an unsupported sound format was encountered.

Here are the info entries from VLC - Codec is XViD (800x320), Audio is DTS, 5 channel, 48kHz sampled at 754504 bps, Setting states "HAS_INDEX IS_INTERLEVED". I combed through the VLC "Messages" log but did not come across anything that looked like it might be helpful except that it looked like VLC might have had to screen a lot of candidates to find the right codecs for both audio and video.

Not sure if this will help. Is there any way to cut and paste from VLC? These options are greyed out when I run the movie in VLC.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Sorry should have added that I don't usually have any problem with XViD encoded videos, either playing back w/ QT or mplayer or converting to DVD using ffmpegX.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just wondering: I see that you posted this 2 years ago, but did you ever figure out the problem and how to fix it? I'm having the same trouble right now!
    Quote Quote  
  6. I've had the same problem after authoring DVDs from avi files. I recently used TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 to author a DVD from 6 avi files. The files all work when played in a program like WinAmp, Windows Media Player, etc. However, when I go to one of the episodes from the menu, the first episode has a loud buzzing sound, and no other audio. The other episodes play just fine.

When I re-authored the DVD from scratch using the same files, the 1st and 3rd episodes had the buzzing noise. The other four worked fine.

I had this same problem a few months ago with another old TV series (The Veil). Out of 6 episodes, one or two would have the buzzing. The rest worked fine.

I've used TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 for more than a hundred other DVDs in the past few months (from avi files that I created myself from old VHS tapes). Every one of them is fine. The occasional avi file that I get from other people, however, have the buzzing sound. Not when they're played outright in a player, but when they're authored to DVD.

I'd appreciate any insight into this.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow. I had completely forgotten about that post. Basically, I just gave up on trying to fix the problem, and instead bought a copy of VisualHub. It does everything I need, it's very easy to use, and I've never had a moment's problem with it.

So I solved the problem by not solving it, I guess.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'd try it, but I'm PC based. Thanks, anyway.

FYI, the 1st episode is the one that was giving me the problem every time, so I authored a DVD with ONLY that episode and it worked fine. I can't figure out why it won't work when it's authored with the others.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The OP had a movie file with DTS audio, which isn't supported at all by ffmpegX. Even a buzz sound would amaze me. I only know VLC to transcode DTS.
    The other posters never mentioned which audio format, so their issue may be unrelated.
    Quote Quote  
  10. While this is not a solution which solves the problem, I have managed a work around.

When I get a loud buzzing noise after decoding the DVD I then decide to save the audio stream using VirtualDub.

I convert the audio into a generic *.wav (ie PCM, 16-bit Audio, 48.0KHz) for DVDs using dbPoweramp.

I then change only the audio stream within the DVD encoding program to this new source file.

And this manages to get a clear audio signal.

And sure there is a lot of transcoding going on there but it gets the job done.
    Quote Quote