VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Some sites have flash video’s online that play in your browser, if you have the correct plugins.
    Thanks to Veblin, I learned that these video’s are stored on your HD (most likely the Temp Internet Files), and that they (sometimes) have the .flv (FLash Video) extension.

The .flv files play fine in the latest VLC player (v 0.81) or a dedicated FLV player like http://www.martijndevisser.com/archives/000021.php

I wanted to try to convert to avi or mpg and could not find a guide on videohelp, so I did some research of my own.
    This is A way, it worked for me, and I would like to share it with you (helping this fine board to help others).

I use the RivaFLVencoder;
    http://www.rivavx.com/index.php?encoder&L=3
    which is freeware and it’s based on the FFMPEG encoder (normally it is used to create .flv files from .avi or .mpg, but it can do the reverse too).
    There is also FlixPro by Wildform, but that costs about $150.

Download, install and open Riva.

Klick the Browse button in the Input tab and locate the .flv file you want to convert.

Klick the Browse button in the Output tab to select the location to save your output.

The default outputname will have the extension .flv (after all it is an FLV encoder) but just click it and change the extension to .avi or .mpg

Then adjust the encoding parameters for both video and audio to your liking

Make sure you check the box Enable Audio or you’ll end up with a mute video.

It’s possible that the .flv contains an audiocodec that will not be transcoded. A solution for that is to play the original .flv and record the audio with Audacity (for instance) and to mux that recording with the .avi or .mpg you get from Riva.

Just experiment with the settings, but don’t expect miracles.

With the correct settings, you can now hit the Encode button

The FFMPEG window will popup

When FFMPEG is done with the encoding, this window will close and (hopefully) you have an .avi or .mpg.

The .avi is compressed with FFMPEG’s divx codec, as far as I know.

Again, this is only a way of converting that I tried and it worked for me.
    It might be possible to use only FFMPEG, but I’m not familiar with it’s commandline, so I’m gratefull for the GUI of Riva.
    Someone out there might have a much better solution, but he/she did not post a guide.

Special credits and thanks to Veblin of the streaming forum for pointing out some things to me.

Regards,
    Hitrec

(Thanks for the BBCode tip Baldrick)

2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    you must deselect "disable bbcode". click on edit on your post.

3. Total Video Converter will also do it...

http://www.effectmatrix.com/total-video-converter/index.htm

4. Problem with Riva FLV Encoder is when converted to MPG, there is considerable loss in quality.
    Anything which keeps the quality????

5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pavandude
    Problem with Riva FLV Encoder is when converted to MPG, there is considerable loss in quality.
    Anything which keeps the quality????
    You're going from equivalent of MPEG4 or better down to MPEG, some sort of quality LOSS and MASSIVE increase in size is expected.

6. I can't get Riva to convert a flv to avi (seems like FFMPEG is not kicking in). I get sound, but no video. What am I doing wrong here?

I tried Total Video converter also. It works, but it leaves an annoying watermark.

Thanks!

7. Originally Posted by nord117
    I can't get Riva to convert a flv to avi (seems like FFMPEG is not kicking in). I get sound, but no video. What am I doing wrong here?

I tried Total Video converter also. It works, but it leaves an annoying watermark.

Thanks!
    im having the same problem, i dont even know how to install ffmpeg, please help

8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    try latest super

9. Originally Posted by Baldrick
    try latest super
    holy cow, that's an awesome program!!!!!

THANK YOU! ty Tyty!!!

10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There are many tools can do it if it costs.

11. It's true that the Riva FLV Encoder does a great job on converting FLV to Avi or Mpg, but not all FLV files are compatible.

I recently download a FLV file that, while it plays perfectly, the Riva program can not convert it to neither Avi or Mpg. It gives out errors relating to codecs compatible and the such.

I even tried CinemaForge and that program can't convert it either.

Just to be sure that the Riva Encoder was still working correctly, I converted another FLV file without any problems. Which now proves to me that the problem is with that FLV file. Was this file made with a newer, updated codec? If so, then what would that codec be????

Is there a way to add updates to the FLV Encoder program? Or is there a better (Superior) program that can also convert FLV to Avi/Mpg but has the latest, newest codecs already installed?

Any help will be appreciated?

12. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    tried latest super?

13. Super is a terrific tool for flv conversion! Thanks for posting this Baldrick!

14. other program is CinemaForge 2.0

15. that's the message that i got from Virtualdub after converting a flv file with cinemaforge& super and than opening it with VD:

VirtualDub has detected an improper VBR audio encoding in the source AVI file and will rewrite the audio header with standart CBR values during processing for better compatibility. This may introduse up to 0 ms of skew from the video stream. If this is unacceptable, decompress the *entire* audio stream to an uncompressed WAV file and recompress with a constant bitrate encoder. (bitrate: 128.0=0.0 kbps)

16. i used super but theres no sound, how can i fix this?

17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I find that I'm having the same problem as cantckaja in that when I try to encode a file using SUPER, I can encode the video fine but the sound isn't encoded at all... Anybody know why this is so?

18. when i try Riva, if i add ".mpg" it encodes mpeg-2 video, but no sound. if i add ".avi", i get MPEG-2 sound, but messed up (or NO) video. SOLUTION: encode BOTH, them "MUX" using VirtualDub with "Direct Stream Copy" for audio, choose vid codec for AVI. if you encode the MPEG2 file (in Riva) at 2000 kb/s, then re-enc using 1000 kb/s (or less as needed), it should turn out ok.

UPDATE: for some odd reason, if i set the settings to:
    .MPG 320x240 framerate:30 bitrate:2000 audio bitrate:128 sampling:44100 STEREO
    it converts OK! then i can do whatever with it. i think it was the "STEREO" setting that did it, but it's something to try! good luck all!

19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have two flash video files which are actually .exe files. Is it possible to convert those and how?

Search Comp PM
    Perhaps, but you'd need to extract the SWFs from the EXE projectors, first. (Note that there are utilities out there that'll do this for you, but I don't know what they are - I've only ever done it manually. )

Second, the SWFs have to have FLV video streams within them. (If the FLV streams are encoded using VP6 rather than the FLV codec, that can cause problems with converting as well, I believe.)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?

21. Ai Haibara is right, Gregg, there are programs that can "extract" the SWF data inside other files, but it's rather cumbersome to learn, and quite a process at that! i gave up on trying to learn it after the first DAY! you can try if you like; try searching google for "swf extract" (in quotes), or something similar. you'd be better off though, trying Camtasia Recorder to just screen capture the video (and audio), for this situation. SWF .exe files weren't meant to be decompiled, but quite simply to provide an easy way to play SWF files without a separate player. your PC (P4 3.0Ghz correct?) should be able to handle the moderate load required to screen capture quite well, as i have a similar PC at home.

22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hello...
    im new to this program..
    i just downloaded this
    i read from the guide as above that for input, i choose the flv.file
    but why cant i choose flv files ?
    when i klik browse (for input), message box will appear
    and i try to locate my flv files
    but this only shows me video files
    and under type of files, there none choice other than "video files'
    so how can i use this program to convert flv to avi??

which one better, Riva or Super?
    thank you

23. Iv3_imt,
    1. be sure you're browsing in the proper folder (the one your FLV is in).
    2. be sure your FLV has the .flv extension on it (sometimes you can download them without it adding an extension).
    3. you can also drag & drop the file into Riva. this has worked for me.

FLV files SHOULD show up when browsing. they do in mine, this is why i mentioned checking that the filename ends in .flv
    darkflux

24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank alot..
    i get it know
    what i need to do is by putting .flv in my file' names
    it works now..
    im so happy..
    thank you

mmm im sorry that i ask question which is out of the topic
    im looking for freeware to put audio in the video..
    i mean.. i have a fanvideo
    and i want to change the song in that video with other song..
    do u know what software i can use to do so (to separate audio n video and then putting audio into that video)?
    hope i make sense
    thank you

25. since it's relating to the same problem, i think it's okay...
    anyways, VirtualDub works with both avi and mpeg files, however, it only CREATES avis. it's kinda tough to find a freeware MPEG editor, so if your file doesn't NEED to be mpeg, i'd stick with VDub. otherwise, you might try Womble MPEG Video Editor. it's one of the few programs that doesn't need to re-encode the video to add or delete audio files.
    darkflux

26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so i can use Vdub to add or delete audio files from video?
    are there any guides here in regard to this?
    thank you

27. here's a basic guide to cutting and editing in VDub: https://www.videohelp.com/virtualdubedit.htm

but basically, for what you need, once you've opened the file in VirtualDub, go to the Audio menu, and click "WAV Audio". then select the file you want to add. this will replace the current file. if you want it re-encoded, the "Compression..." option in that menu will do it.
    darkflux

28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by darkflux
    here's a basic guide to cutting and editing in VDub: https://www.videohelp.com/virtualdubedit.htm

but basically, for what you need, once you've opened the file in VirtualDub, go to the Audio menu, and click "WAV Audio". then select the file you want to add. this will replace the current file. if you want it re-encoded, the "Compression..." option in that menu will do it.
    mm..bit confused here..
    so first i opened the video file
    and do the next step as u told
    and then i have to open other file.What file do i need to open?the audio file?
    i dont join any video files

and what does re-encode mean?

29. sorry, guess i didn't speak plainly enough

1. open the original fanvid in VDub.
    2. replace the existing audio (with your audio) by using the "WAV Audio..." option in the Audio dropdown menu at the top.
    3. re-encode means to encode the file differently, like changing it from a WAV file to an mp3, or something...
    you see, AVI files are only "containers" for compressed VIDEO and/or AUDIO files. when you "re-compress" a file, it slightly downgrades that file. but if the file you open using VirtualDub is an MPEG file, it MUST be re-compressed (using the "Compression..." option in the Video menu). if you want to change the "Audio Compression" to mp3 or ogg, or whatever else, you first must select "Full processing mode" in the Audio menu, then "Compression..." is no longer "greyed out" in the Audio menu. this may all seem a bit confusing and cumbersome (especially to those who've never done it before), but once you understand the "basics", it seems alot less cumbersome

oh, and if you are using an AVI file to start from, be sure to change the option to "Direct Stream Copy" under the Video menu.

you might consider reading the following to "bone up" on conversions using VDub:
    https://www.videohelp.com/avi2divx.htm
    http://www.ryan.com.br/virtualdub_en.htm
    http://www.doom9.org/virtualdub_procedures.htm#Audio_options
    http://www.doom9.org/virtualdub_procedures.htm#audioencoding

if there's anything you don't FULLY understand, you may either disregard it, or if you're TOTALLY lost (we've all been there), or just ask someone here! we're mostly pretty nice, but if you have anymore questions OFF the topic in this thread, of course, you should start your own NEW thread.
    i hope this helps
    darkflux

30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by citizenwp
    There are many tools can do it if it costs.
    Thank you provide such good tools,I'm newbie in flash,and search a trick to convert other file such as powerpoint,move to flash all along.I am also want to search more useful imformation here.Hope get some help.Any ideas would be thoroughly appreciated.^_^

Is there other tools except "http://www.flash-on-tv.com/index.php?sid=6 " to help flash work easily?

Someone can contact me by: abelz22@gmail.com
    Let's discuss together(Only flash tips)