VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After you have captured the file from youtube or whatever, what is the best method for encoding? I had my settings at like mpeg-1, mp2 audio, at like 1100, but the file size was like twice or three times as big as the flash. What is the best format and settings to get very similar video quality and sound? Thank you.

2. MPEG files are notoriously large, when requiring close to the same quality. unless you're going to burn the video to DVD, i recommend going with AVI, or else you will be dealing with large files. here's what i do:
    for MPEG: settings: Size-640x480 (you'll need to re-encode @ 720x480 later)
    Framerate-29.97
    Bitrate-2000
    Audio Bitrate-128 / 44100

for AVI: settings: Size-640x480 (or 320x240)
    Framerate-30
    Bitrate-1000
    Audio Bitrate-128 / 44100

NOTE FOR AVI: you must first encode as MPG file with avi settings (but keep bitrate at 2000 for mpg file), then use your favorite avi encoder (mine's VirtualDub 1.6.7), and encode with the same settings (preferably DivX).

even though you are encoding TWICE for AVI files, encoding @ 2000kb/s will retain most of the quality.

this is the only way i've been able to encode an AVI successfully. also, the settings reset after closing and reopening Riva (even though they appear the same), so you must click and set them how you want each time you start up the program.

hope this helps someone.
    df
    darkflux

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, this helps a lot! Thank you. Will it maintain a low file size if the file is not divx? I hope to put this on disc someday perhaps, and Divx is pretty hard to work with.

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's NOT AVI in itself, but the codec used inside the AVI. DIVX is similar to MPEG4 in terms of encoding efficiency. You can use the open-source equivalent XVID, or any of the other codecs available.

5. i'm afraid that if you want to retain the quality of the AVI file, DivX is the way to go. MPEG-4 is "slightly" better quality than DivX, but is even less compatible with programs when re-encoding (working with) files. XviD is becoming more popular, and has more customization for file quality, but is more "complex" to work with (unless you're more comfortable working with AVI's), and has about the same quality as DivX. DivX is the current unofficial "premiere" codec for AVI files, [NOTE: disregard the 'autolink', i'm not talking about Adobe ] and even some DVD players are supporting the DivX standards (and even some XviD files). the only REAL problem i have with DivX is that unless you register it (read: PAY THEM), you get the DivX logo in the corner of the video when you play it. it's not encoded in the file though, just the codec, so unless you encode your AVI's to something else without registering, you should be fine, and if you ever DO register, you can keep the logo from appearing.

sorry, a little long-winded, there.
    if you really think you'll be burning the file(s) to DVD eventually, you might keep an MPG file version(s) burnt to CD-R for future reference (they're releatively dirt cheap anymore), and keep an AVI copy on your local hard drive for sharing, or whatever.
    darkflux

6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VSO ConvertXToDVD can convert .flv files too - just change "All supported file types" to "Any file". It will accept them fine. Great program!

7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just tried Total Video Converter and it seems very easy, lots of choices and simply worked.

I see that it cost $45 A heck of a lot less than the other commercial products mention for $100 or $150, which is WAY to high.

I do loads of conversions, especially into Divx format (version 6.25 is spectacular) and I use Virtualdub for about everything.

If virtualdub can input a .flv file, THAT WOULD BE great and certainly the way to go. I am very used to de-muxing the audio to a .Wav file, then I go through the video and audio compression/conversions and load them in as batch jobs. When I'm ready, if I have a two pass job, there are two little Vdub scripts waiting for me in the Vdub job cue. I just tell it to go and leave the PC.

What is also great about vDUB is that If I need to use the PC, I can lower the priority of the job, temporarily while I check mail or do whatever I have to do, then I will set it back to normal.

I am very much taken by outputting to the lastet Divx 6.25. I play a lot of Divx on both of my Divx compatible DVD players and watch on TV. They look great.

Jon

8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't understand, but I simply change the file extention from .flv to .avi and files that would play only on FLV Player will play fine on Windows Media Player. Am I missing something?

9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For some more information.

I was really happy to see that the newest (it was a total re-write) of Divxlabs open source, free converter, Dr. Divx, will take .flv files with no problem.
    Dr. Divx is an auxillary product that is a freeware creation of Divx Labs. the demand was very high on it, so it was re-written.
    http://labs.divx.com/DrDivX?cmdrdivx20lg
    Also, good news that the Divx Labs version of Dr. Divx uses the latest Divx 6.25 encoder. The encoder converts a lot faster and with a heck of a lot better output.

The Divx 6.25 encoder with the help of Vdub has created a situation where I have been re-encoding every Xvid video I have. It just looks better, sounds better, and works well on all Divx compliant stand alone DVD players. I fooled my son the other day who always would tell me how easy it was to spot a compressed video Divx file from the original DVD. I have to agree with him ...before. there always was some grainyness in the picture.
    So I played a 15 minute Divx video, then I played the same 15 minutes from the original DVD. I told them, I played them in the opposite order that I told him. It was very hard for him. He really could not see differences. It is important though to always do the two pass encoding and I have some standards on creating settings on Vdub and Divx 6.25 Pro in Vdub that seem to work really well. Using the two pass makes a big difference.

A last item is that there is a free Divx web player. So, I can put Divx videos on my web page, then the DivxLabs site creates the code I need, as it embeds the video. When selected, it starts immediately, like the Flash connected applications, while it downloads the stream. the Divx Web Player is new (version 1.0) , has some tweaking to be done. The more feedback they get, the better the product will be.
    I mention this because they are giving away free, the latest Divx Pro pack, version 6.3, for anyone who tries the Divx web Player and gives them the hyperlink.
    Here is the link to the Divx Labs info on the Web Media Player. About half way down the page, it explains the offer of the Free version of the Divx Pro 6.3 bundle.
    http://labs.divx.com/archives/000072.html
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blu-Ray is for suckers !!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A "freeware/donationware' .fly player is available.
    Download Fly Player

It is very file, but a nice way to look at any .flv files you have created or downloaded. It is not a complete player application by a longshot. But it is tiny and plays a .flv file very quickly. None of the typical Windoz overhead.

When someone wants me to download a .flv video, I use the greasemonkey extention in Firefox. After than, I can use the free Flyplayer to get a quick look at it.

Jon

11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wonder if anyone can help. I'm trying to convert the .flv viles of clips from YouTube into .avi files, using SUPER. The program seems to be very effective, but the sound is out of sync with the video in the resulting files. I was hoping that someone might be able to clarifiy whether or not I can rectify this with the various audio/video settings options in SUPER - bitrate kbps, frame/sec etc., as it's all double-dutch to me. Cheers.

Search Comp PM
    According to the SUPER creator(s) and FAQ, the most common cause of sync problems is apparently not selecting the same frame rate for the output file as the file you're converting. I'm not sure which players would show the frame rate of an FLV, though. Maybe Media Player Classic and VLC might do it.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?

13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, Ai! I'll look into that.

14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Super is pretty Super , especially for a "donationware" product, if people decide to use it on a regular basis, I hope that they do decide to donatation something to keep that great product going.

I have used SUPER and changed the frame rate of the original nad have had it worked. I wish the FLV filesweer less myserious so I can understand on how to make the output settings in a better way.

The only time I have had synch problems is when the original was not in synch.

I like checking out the download .flv file in the little FLV Player to check the synch, etc.

I like to use the Foxfire add-in Greasemonkey to download .flv video.

I have found the best results has been in then taking the .flv on encoding it into with Divx 6.25 using the new version of Dr Divx. I will increase framrate, remove some noise if necessary and usually I like to make the Divx output about 640 x 480, that is if it correspnds to the original I tell Dr. Divx to do a two pass.

Jon

15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Help Needed. Many of the flv files I've grabbed from YouTube.com yield errors when trying to convert them using either RivaFLVencoder or SUPER. RivaFLVencoder complains of unknown codec(s). SUPER seems to also complain about an unsupported codec or says there's damaged header or truncated file. But the same thing happens virtually with all flv files from YouTube.com.

I saw a similar post in this thread a while back, but didn't see a solution, other than a suggestion to try the latest SUPER (of which I've tried: v2006.build.19) and had no success.

I have obtained flv files from other sources and they convert fine when using either RivaFLVencoder or SUPER, so I have had success. Just not with those files I've grabbed ftom my temporary internet directory after playing videos on YouTube (and a few other sites as well).

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with converting flv files obtained from YouTube? Is YouTube using a new set of codecs that both RivaFLVencoder or SUPER are not yet aware of? Or is it possible the opposite is true, that they use an out-dated set of codecs?

Regardless, is there a way to obtain and install these other codecs so that I can convert these flv files?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

16. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Test total video converter, I have been able to convert most flvs using it. Demo available.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=304962#problems

17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have Super, but for some reason, whenever I try to convert .flv to either .avi, .mpg, or .wmv, it gives me an error message. I try to follow the instructions in the message, but it just leads me in a circle and it keep giving me an error.

I also have Riva Encoder, and to correct my have-audio-but-no-video problem, I tracked down what I think is the right codec i need, it's a file called "ffmpeg.c"

Now that I've downloaded this file, where do I put it so that it takes effect?

18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    im relatively new at converting video files from one type to another, and this forum has helped quite a lot

i have a question though.. i have some .flv files from youtube that when i try to convert to .avi using SUPER, comes up with an end product of having great audio and video qualities, yet the the video goes way too fast.. only the audio goes by normally.

i've tried setting the frames per second rate to only 11.988 but it still goes way too fast and out of sync with the audio. does anyone know how to troubleshoot this? is there anyway to lower the frames per second rate even more?

19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Replay Converter is a hassle-free way to do this, and it makes great quality output too.

You can try it for free and learn more here:
    http://www.replay-converter.com

Bill Dettering
    Applian Technologies Inc.
    www.applian.com

20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ffmpeg now supports VP6 so anything ffmpeg/libavcodec/avformat based (ConvertXtoDVD, Dr. DivX 2, etc.) should support FVL4's. Haven't tried any FLV5's so I don't know if they are supported.

21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do I also need LAME too?

22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ffmpeg can be compiled with lame; --enable-mp3lame, if that is what you mean?

23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I searched with google, and found many software can do that now.

SPAM

and some others don't list on the thread.

24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used this program and everything works fine but when I moved the mpg file to a sansa e260 the converter program of sansa encounters an error. is there anyway around this? I tried converting it to wmv. but it still didn't work and there is enuff memory to support it. the formats are compatible so I don't understand. mayb I could use another converter program instead of the sansa to get it on the mp3

25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    im using super and it worked mostly exept on one it converted it all right but the audio started a couple of seconds after the video so it gto messed up. i was converting an flv to an avi and i was using the mencoder option any ideas?

Search Comp PM
    As I mentioned above, sync problems in SUPER are (apparently) usually caused by selecting a different frame rate for the output file than the one used in the original video. I'm not sure how to get the frame rate of an FLV, though.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?

27. Originally Posted by Baldrick
    try latest super
    I get a big error message when I try to convert a FLV file. It says I need to enable DirectShow bla bla... Does SUPER need any extra codecs to work with FLV files??
    There is no patch for ignorance...

28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Shouldn't do since ffmpeg and mencoder can both handle them without anything extra. If it is wanting to use dshow, then you would need Gabest's splitter though.

29. Originally Posted by celtic_druid
    Shouldn't do since ffmpeg and mencoder can both handle them without anything extra. If it is wanting to use dshow, then you would need Gabest's splitter though.
    Does ffmpeg and mencoder come bundled with SUPER.... coz I'm not sure if I have'em Are they softwares/tools or codecs?
    There is no patch for ignorance...

30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    They are software/tools with built in codecs. For instance most of ffdshow's decoding comes from libavcodec which is part of ffmpeg.

As far as I know it comes with them. Never used it myself though.