VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    how come that windows sector scan found more bad sectors than that spinrite program did, the spinrite program found none and the windows 98 sector scan found tonnes..did i set it up wrong in dos or something??

i made sure all the parts had marks by them and the process took about 5 hours..

why did it come up with 0 when windows found loads i thought spin rite was meant to be better??
    Quote Quote  
  2. If windows already found them, then they're written out of the FAT, and spinrite won't see them.
    Change options in spinrite. I suggest you read the manual.
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    ok cheers mate
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FWIW Spinrite does a better job preserving your data than Scandisk. I use Scandisk to see if its time to run Spinrite.
    In other words, don't let scandisk relocate bad sectors. Let Spinrite do it.
    A good divorce beats a bad marriage.
    Now I have two anniversaries I celebrate!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Am i meant to have S.M.A.R.T enabled for spinrite to properly work. the reaso ni think this is because i done a scan of a drive that has hardly been off for about 4 years and was quite sirprised to see no bad sectors found at all!! especially when before doing a sector scan in windows it found 2 bad sectors.
    Doing this test i was looking at the keys on the bottom right it said U or something means unrecoverable sectors i think that was in red but it didnt come up with green or red things through out the whole scan..im quite confused now..then there was some option when pressing space bar during the process i saw an option saying change something it was the only option that had the word change in it out of about 4 others..only locate surface defects it was ticked but that was onlt one ticked i couldnt tick more than one..i was looking at the other whilst the process being run to find ones that would restore sectors etc but by default it was set on 'locate surface defects' thru out the whole process then it moved to drive E:.

I was quite surprised though to see it had not logged any sectors even though i know full well there are some on here.

Have i set the settings wrong or something i chose level 4 not level 2..

someon explain a bit on what to do or maybe the whole time it was recovering data etc and i was just reading it wrong????

dunno!! someone correct me please..

cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    www.grc.com & download the manual.

FWIW - 2 of my drives autorelocate under spinrite and bad sectors "disappear". What is happening is the drive makes the sectors inactive then hides them. My identical drives have different sector counts.

EDIT- my laptop had a bunch of bad sectors appear, I backed up, zero-filled, partitioned, formatted, then ran spinrite. My 14gig HD was now about 3 meg smaller, but with no bad sectors shown. Needless to say I'm watching it closely.
    A good divorce beats a bad marriage.
    Now I have two anniversaries I celebrate!
    Quote Quote