VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just purchased this DVD recorder and just love it but there's one thing I wanted to do, and was unable to find it in the user manual.

I record TV shows, Video Game play and am able to play the content back on the DVD recorder without having to finalize the DVD. I was wondering if there's a way to copy the content on the DVD and transfer it onto my computer as an .avi, .wmv... without having to finalize the DVD?

I hope I've asked the question in the right format. Any suggestions would be helpfull.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can rip VOB file(s) to your hard drive with DVDdecrypter. (VOBs are a "special" version of MPEG2.) Use IFO Mode/no file splitting if you want one large VOB. With the proper software, you can view/convert these VOB files.

I would suggest VirtualDubMod for converting, and Media Player Classic for viewing. There are other programs too, just perform a search under tools. Also, check out the guides section for instructions.

Good Luck!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the suggestion, but I was trying to stay away from that route. The videos become VOB's only after I've finalized the DVD, and for some reason after they are finalized they cannot be formated again, and it just seems like a waste of DVD-RW's. Any other suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by CiX3LsyD
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I was trying to stay away from that route. The videos become VOB's only after I've finalized the DVD, and for some reason after they are finalized they cannot be formated again, and it just seems like a waste of DVD-RW's. Any other suggestions?
    What cant be formated again? The DVD-rw? Yes it can. You can also use DVDdecrypter to rip one big Video file, so you dont have to join Vobs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CiX3LsyD
    The videos become VOB's only after I've finalized the DVD, and for some reason after they are finalized they cannot be formated again, and it just seems like a waste of DVD-RW's. Any other suggestions?
    CiX3LsyD, if you cannot reformat DVD-RW's after finalizing, perhaps it's a media issue. Which DVD-RW's do you use? I myself have Toshiba D-R1SG (PAL/SECAM version) and love that recorder. However it is very picky to DVD-RW media. The only three media codes of DVD-RW's that I can use with consistent success on D-R1 are Vicror (JVC), TDK and MCC (Verbatim/Mitsubishi).

I tried a few other kinds of DVD-RW including Sony (Ritek) and Princo and could not make them work on Toshiba. They burn fine on computer though. The problem is that right now it's very, very hard to find quality DVD-RW's in retail stores. What I saw was either Memorex or Sony and they mostly use Ritek which is no good for Toshiba. I was lucky enough to get some Maxell (MCC) in OfficeDepot recently, but there were only two 15pk spindles left, so I grabbed them. They record, format and re-record great. So try finding those or their Verbatim version and you might get rid of wasted DVD-RW problem.

To answer you original question, I'm afraid it's not possible to extract unfinalized content from DVD-RW. I tied it and no luck at all.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for the help everyone. I think the DVD recorder was just picky when I wanted it to format. I used my PC DVD drive, and it formated the DVD fine. But I'll take the brand names you suggested into account, I heard that TDK was a very good brand.
    Quote Quote