VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    8) Hi - I have been trying to track down how many minutes can be burnt to a 4.7GB and 8.5GB DVD.

Google has thrown up different times - I am trying to find a definite answer.

For example NERO site said;

Quality.................Recording time
    High Quality..........60 min
    Standard Play.......120 min
    Long Play.............180 min
    Extended Play.......240 min
    Super Long Play....360 min

I am confused with the chart above, because I thought High Quality was 2 hours (120 min) on a 4.7GB disc - but the chart says 60 mins!

I also need to know the max on a Dual Layer disc (8.5GB).

Many thanks in advance - Stephen
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Results may vary is the best answer.

Depends on the source, the bitrate, the resolution, the software tools and of course last, but definately not least you.

What kind of quality do you desire?

What tools are you willing to learn?

What kind of sound do you want?

360 minutes on a single layer DVDR is silly though unless you are watching it on a 4 inch screen underwater. Unless you are starting with a crap source like streaming internet video for lower speed connections
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a good page with info on Creating DVD's.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Your play time is dependent on what bitrate you use. I have gotten up to 8 1/2 hours using lowres dvd 352x240 mpeg2 at a bitrate of about 1050. That being said lowresolution dvd is like watching vcd. NOT great quality. I just use it for my kids (and my) cartoons.

Use the bitrate calucator on this site to get the bitrate you need for your encodes. A dedicated encoder like tmpgenc or cinemacraft encoder (look in the tools section for other choices) will do a much better job than nero will for encoding.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by doppletwo
    360 minutes on a single layer DVDR is silly though unless you are watching it on a 4 inch screen underwater. Unless you are starting with a crap source like streaming internet video for lower speed connections
    Your opinion only, I hope

Isolated, bitrate is the only contributing factor to how many minutes you can get on a DVD. However, as an offshoot of this, the frame size then plays a part in determining quality, as you need to select a suitable frame size to match your bitrate.

You really need need to make a decision: Is quality of the upmost importance, do you wish to find a nice mix between quality and the time you can fit, or do you want to fit as much time as possible and the quality isn't important ? Essentially these are the three corners of the spectrum, with a lot of space inbetween.

You can get roughly 450 minutes of VCD-comparable footage onto 1 DVD-5, which IMO looks fine on a 27" TV, provided the source is good to start with, such as DVD or DV, and provided it is done right.

... and then there's the can of worms that is KDVD ...
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    Originally Posted by doppletwo
    Your opinion only, I hope
    I would assume he is referring to deinterlacing too, which is big problem with discs longer than 4 hours, or below x480 res.

In that case, I agree 100% .... yuck.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote