VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. it appears i need to free up around 15 GB when i use both DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink (10 for Decrypter and 5 in addition when Shrink is used after) i'm looking for an option where i can have DVD Shrink overwrite the Decrypted files or something to the effect that HD space can be saved without compromising quality.

thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Just rip with dvd shrink

No need to do it seperately as dvd shrink can take it off the disc itself. Just clikc OPEN DISC.

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. hey thanks,

yeah that would work easy enough.

i guess my question now is how the ripping quality of DVD Shrink compares to DVD Decrypter?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A rip is a rip. There might be some disks that Shrink can't rip because of scratches or special encryption that decrypter can handle, but I neve have actually experienced this. But if Shrink can rip it, the product will be just as good.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The biggest issue with ripping and encoding directly with DVD Shrink is having your drive and disk spinning for up to 90 minutes (rip, deep analysis, encode with AEC, output) while the process runs. Hard drives are cheap. Buy a 40 gb and have it just for DVD backup processing.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just my humble opinion, but 15 GB of HD space seems like a rather trivial amount to be worrying over.
    "There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon." -- Raoul Duke
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sacajaweeda
    Just my humble opinion, but 15 GB of HD space seems like a rather trivial amount to be worrying over.
    Well maybe not. Not everyone here is going to have 200GB+ hard drive space.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When I was backing up DVD's using a 40 GB harddrive 15 GB (usually don't need 15 more like 12) was a bitch. I have computer with a 20 GB harddrive I have to use my network to do operations using both shrink and decrypter. It works suprising well over a 100Mbps router. I have only done acrss the network Shrinks and burns for experiment reasons though. That reminds me I haven't tested out burn at 12x's across the network, but I think that won't work 12x is about 17 MBps but 100Mbps is only about 12.5 MBps.

I might try just to see what happens. Ny hypothesis is a bad burn.

Oh back to the topic. CHIPP if you have any video or music files back them up to DVD or CD and then delete them from the harddrive. If any of the files a very improtant make two copies and burn at lower speed. Also uninstall any unused programs and old games that you don't play much. Usually there is and option to uninstall but keep games saves.

Backing up to DVD or CD is more cost effective for backing up data unless you have to do it very often. With DVD's it cost about 8 cents a GB but the cheapest Harddrives are about 50 cents a GB. DVDRW is inbetween DVDR's and Harddrives for cost but the price is better than iif you plan on backing up data often.
    snappy phrase

I don't know what you're talking about.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by guns1inger
    The biggest issue with ripping and encoding directly with DVD Shrink is having your drive and disk spinning for up to 90 minutes (rip, deep analysis, encode with AEC, output) while the process runs.
    Surely it is just about the same as playing the film? All the data gets transferred, just into an encoder instead of a player? Admittedly, it might take twice the playing time to process but even then it I can't see why it would put excessive wear on the DVD drive.

Cobra
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cobra
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    The biggest issue with ripping and encoding directly with DVD Shrink is having your drive and disk spinning for up to 90 minutes (rip, deep analysis, encode with AEC, output) while the process runs.
    Surely it is just about the same as playing the film? All the data gets transferred, just into an encoder instead of a player? Admittedly, it might take twice the playing time to process but even then it I can't see why it would put excessive wear on the DVD drive.

Cobra
    I gotta go with Cobra on this one I have only killed one optical drive in the since I got my first CD ROM drive in 90-something. And the drive that died was my first CD ROM drive. since that none have gone bad. Most optical drives say that the motors have a lfietime of like 50,000 plus hours of use.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You could rip and shrink. Once shrunk, delete the non-shrunk one. That way, you never run out of space.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pyrate83
    And that's fine excuse for the casual user who may occasionally do this or any other video related stuff, but anyone that's serious about working with this stuff can go cry somewhere else about hard drive space. No sympathy from me on this issue. This "hobby" of ours as we all know, is extremely resource and system intensive, and anybody taking part needs to pony up and buy the equipment needed to get themselves in the game or just STFU and go away and do something else.

MY $.02
    "There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon." -- Raoul Duke
    Quote Quote  
  13. amen sacajaweeda.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And that's fine excuse for the casual user who may occasionally do this or any other video related stuff, but anyone that's serious about working with this stuff can go cry somewhere else about hard drive space. No sympathy from me on this issue. This "hobby" of ours as we all know, is extremely resource and system intensive, and anybody taking part needs to pony up and buy the equipment needed to get themselves in the game or just STFU and go away and do something else.
    Please cool down the tone

We are in the newbie forum, not advanced pro user.

Why not deleting the raw files when finished with dvdshrink?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RickTheRed
    I agree.

That was my suggestion.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm with sac here
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bazooka
    I agree.

That was my suggestion.
    You still need the RAW file while shrinking hence the need for nearly 14 GB. 9+ GB for the RAW file and 4.7 GB to make the DVDR file. You have to have enough room for both the RAW files and the Shrunk file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by doppletwo
    Originally Posted by bazooka
    I agree.

That was my suggestion.
    You still need the RAW file while shrinking hence the need for nearly 14 GB. 9+ GB for the RAW file and 4.7 GB to make the DVDR file. You have to have enough room for both the RAW files and the Shrunk file.
    Does DVDShrink rip the entire disc to the HDD first (in which case you'd need the 14GB), or does it transcode on the fly (in which case you should only need 5GB) ?
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It transcodes on the Fly if you use shrink only you only need 5GB, but those DVD's with ArcCos need up to 15GB since you must use Decypter first. A few months ago I only had 44 GB and I would often only have 5 GB free and I could use shrink just fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I will not argue that using DVDShrink directly from the DVD-ROM drive is the only way to go if you are short of disk space.

However, I believe it is important to explain - since this is a newbie forum - that it IS possible that a rip can be unsuccesful without evidence.

The reason I stopped using Smartripper is that the last time I used it it ripped a DVD Video disk to HD, finished succesfully and the resulting DVD folder contained garbage. Probably failed to break the encryption key.

Since then, I always rip to HD and process from there.

I don't argue that spinning the DVD in the drive for 90 minutes is the same like playing it in the DVD player, however spinning it inside your PC generates substantial heat and myself, with 8 HDs inside, I'd rather not add fuel to the fire.

Just my humble opinion and some points that may be significant so a few.
    The more I learn, the more I come to realize how little it is I know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    We are in the newbie forum, not advanced pro user.
    Correct. And we're here to provide information and whatever help we can, not sympathy. Forgive my rather blunt approach to this, but the bottom line is that you have to have the hardware (among other things) for this hobby, and there's just no getting around that. This is one of the first things the "newbies" usually discover after they've installed their new DVD burners or unpacked their new burner-equipped PCs and then find their way here (or other sites) to start learning about the new hobby they've picked, which many tend to find out is much more complex than what they had originally thought it would be. I'm not trying to be a jerk here (that just happens naturally sometimes ) I'm just being straight forward. Feel free to disregard my responses if you don't like them. Taking issue with them is just a waste of everybody's time, as nobody benefits from it.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But you don't need 200GB+ hard drive space. Last week Best Buy had 80GB HDs for a total of about $37 after $60 in rebates (and I've never had a problem getting rebates from Western Digital).

If $37 for 80GB is too much then you should probably save up your money for a year or two before working with DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just realized that even after posting twice to this thread (and now a third time) that I have yet to contribute a single solitary useful bit of information.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Seriously, if I can afford the Australian price for two 120GB hard drives, then I don't see what everyone else has to bitch about. Especially considering the price here has come down by about sixty dollars since I bought the two I have now.
    "It's getting to the point now when I'm with you, I no longer want to have something stuck in my eye..."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just realized that even after posting twice to this thread (and now a third time) that I have yet to contribute a single solitary useful bit of information.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Nilfennasion
    Seriously, if I can afford the Australian price for two 120GB hard drives, then I don't see what everyone else has to bitch about. Especially considering the price here has come down by about sixty dollars since I bought the two I have now.
    Well if I can afford the Australian price for two 200GB hard drives ...
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by guns1inger
    The biggest issue with ripping and encoding directly with DVD Shrink is having your drive and disk spinning for up to 90 minutes
    I fail to see the cause for concern here. Although I have a dedicated DVD-ROM for ripping (read hypocrite), would anybody raise a stink if someone were to (Gawd forbid) watch DVDs using their writer? (Two whole hours of wear-and-tear, say it ain't so!!!)
    If God had intended us not to masturbate he would've made our arms shorter.
    George Carlin
    Quote Quote  
  28. Like sacajaweeda says, skip a few trips to McDonalds ot Taco Bell one week and invest in a larger HD. Then you can use Decrypter to rip them to HD and Shrink to burn them onto DVD....unless of course you have a dual layer burner in which case I think using compression is useless for movies. I'm betting if you have a 15gb HD, you probably don't have a dual layer burner though, or perhaps that's the reason why you only have a 15gb HD...regardless-

I think you do lose a tiny bit of quality using compression anyway, could be wrong here.

Bottom line = Decrypter to rip to HD, Shrink to burn to DVD...then later when you get dual layer capability and the media is cheap enough, Decrypter for everything

just my .02
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think you do lose a tiny bit of quality using compression anyway, could be wrong here.
    Of course. You cannot increase the compression on anything that uses a lossy algorithm without losing some quality. The trick is to make that loss invisible to the naked eye, which is why programs like DVDShrink allow for the removal of soundtracks and subtitles in the first place.
    "It's getting to the point now when I'm with you, I no longer want to have something stuck in my eye..."
    Quote Quote