VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 31
FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by flylice
    I will be taking delivery of a DVR-630HS with 160GB HD. Would love to be able to upgrade the HD. My question is would the old service DVD work on this model? Any tips and hints would be appreciated.
    You need to get hold of a Pioneer service manual to be certain of that. With the earlier units, if you remove the hard drive or burner and then attempt to re-install them, it disables the unit unless you have the service disc and the service remote to re-enter the unit's CPRM identification number. Don't mess around with it until you are sure you know what you are doing.

The DVR-633H service manual is now available at GetManual.com in .pdf format for only $15. I don't know if the 633 and the 630 use the same service disc, but the earlier units (510, 520, etc.) all did regardless of the country or region.

http://www.getmanual.com/
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear gshelley61,

Thanks for your prompt advice! Unfortunately, I don't think my new unit is a 633, since the bezel is totally different. My unit's smaller cousin with an 80gb drive is DVR-530HS. so I think that the units might be a new iteration of DVR-520HS. But I didn't find any manual listed on getmanual.com yet. Anyone can shed some light on this? Many Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have read in link above/dvdboard.de/, that Your model can be HD upgraded, but problem is after uprgade HDD err message, it is due EPG software, which is not on service DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I justed wanted to share some current information with everyone. I recently upgraded my Pioneer DVR-510 to a 400GB HD. I used the informational steps found here and in the 510 thread with the Pioneer Sevice DVD and service remote. Took all of 10 minutes to do and I now am getting 171+ HRs in SP mode.

I used a Seagate 400GB IDE drive - 16MB cache and 7200 RPM's.

I would be happy to share any further details that I am leaving out here just PM me and I'll get back to you.

So using 300GB+ HD is possible.

All of you guys ROCK....keep up the good info!
    All I ask is a tall ship...and a star to steer her by....

John Masefield
    Sea Fever
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by palihora
    I have read in link above/dvdboard.de/, that Your model can be HD upgraded, but problem is after uprgade HDD err message, it is due EPG software, which is not on service DVD.
    Is it the EPG program itself? as in... the actual code to run the TV Guide On-Screen? or is it just because the TVGuide feature is looking for its data that is not on the new hd?

I wonder if re-setting the unit (pressing STOP and Power/Standby on the front of the unit), and going through the initial setup will fix it?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just installed a 320gb Western Digital and my 520H now reports 140+ hours available in SP mode. I checked the drive in my computer with Hitachi Tools (this boots from DOS) and read the firmware settings before installing it. I wanted to see if the acoustic management was turned on or off. It was off. I did this because I have purchased some Hitachi drives that had acoustic management turned on at the factory. (When acoustic management is turned on, the seek time is slower -- thus the drive appears to be quieter.) I'd also like to say a really big thanks to edgolla who graciously helped me (and others) find the parts and pieces to do this. Drop him a pm if you are having a problem. Great Forum, Great Help, Great Bunch of People!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can someone who has the complete file PLEASE do me a favor. Could you make it available on a torrent. There are a few of us that have 98.1% of the file and the only 1 seeder has no input/output so we can not complete it.

It would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by N'S
    That Pioneer service dvd is still being seeded on TPB (3331089).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thx, finally got the file.

I tried putting the 80GB from my 520 into my computer along with the new 300 I want to use. I thought I might be able to dupe the disk using a program like Acronis True Image. It does work to the point that it sees the drive. It shows it as a 'FreeBSD BSD/386' partition. The only problem is that if I would have allowed it to copy from 1 drive to the other, it would have made an 80gb partition on the 300. Although Acronis True Image 9.0 can extend a normal FAT or NTFS partition to fill a new larger drive, it does not do this with FreeBSD. I started to search the net to see if there are any programs that can change the size of a FreeBSD partition but got too busy with some other things now. If there is one, you might be able to copy an existing HD to a new one, make the partition to fit the whole new size and then use that new drive including all the old contents. Anyone have any further thoughts on this?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It would be greatly appreciated if someone who has the complete pioneer_service.nrg file -will make it available on torrent. There are a few of us unable to complete our download - for example - mine is at 95% and has been for several days - I have several others who are drawing on my file who will also require the balance of the file shortly. Once my file is complete I will leave mine available for others to access.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will seed it until you get the complete file Adrid then I will let you take over .
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much to all who quickly responded to my request.

Have completed my download and am continuing seeding to others.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On the shoulders of giants, amongst them forum member kanipek, I'm pleased to report that I've upgraded my Western Digital EIDE 80GB pioneer 530-H-S hard drive to 400GB. I now have over 179 hours in SP recording mode. I used the (Seagate Ultra ATA/100, 7200rpm, 16MB cache hd - ST3400632A - RK) that kanipek used. My recorder is functioning normally, except for "HDD ERR" on unit's lcd ("The Hard Disk Drive Info is Incorrect" on tv monitor) whenever the unit is powered on. I've also lost the ability to "edit title" (input names, including rename genres) and select from multiple thumbnail backgrounds when finalising a DVD disc. All other functions (timer/manual recording, copying, etc.) work beautifully. I'm convinced it's a firmware issue, but don't know how to resolve the problem. Anyone encounter this and have any suggestions/recommendations? If possible, please share.

I used the hard drive upgrage instructions found on this forum. I'm definitely a newbie and would not have succeeded on several levels without major help from kanipek. He helped me acquire the service disk, programmed a learning remote for me, then clarified newbie questions regarding the upgrade procedure. When the store that I purchased the Seagate from couldn't tell me (and I had no clue) which drive was an IDE and which was SATA, again kanipek came to my rescue. The computer experts (at least 4 of them) at the store told me kanipek was wrong - but it's they who were wrong!

And I'll be more than happy to share my experience or help someone else (to the extent that I can) undertaking this upgrade. Here's my first post and I'll attempt to attach the tv monitor screen image showing my upgraded hard drive. Thanks kanipek! [BTW, kanipek is extremely busy but I think he'd assist if you need help upgrading your drive. Apologies for long essay.

img_4616_1_3_1.jpg
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by james10s
    When the store that I purchased the Seagate from couldn't tell me (and I had no clue) which drive was an IDE and which was SATA, again kanipek came to my rescue. The computer experts (at least 4 of them) at the store told me kanipek was wrong - but it's they who were wrong!
    PCWorld?
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AW Shucks....

Thanks James!

I am always willing to help......all you gotta do is ask.....
    All I ask is a tall ship...and a star to steer her by....

John Masefield
    Sea Fever
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rhegedus
    When the store that I purchased the Seagate from couldn't tell me (and I had no clue) which drive was an IDE and which was SATA, again kanipek came to my rescue. The computer experts (at least 4 of them) at the store told me kanipek was wrong - but it's they who were wrong!
    PCWorld?
    Probably shouldn't, but since they were quite unhelpful...Best Buy's "Geek Squad".
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On the shoulders of giants, amongst them forum member kanipek, I'm pleased to report that I've upgraded my Western Digital EIDE 80GB pioneer 530-H-S hard drive to 400GB. I now have over 179 hours in SP recording mode. I used the (Seagate Ultra ATA/100, 7200rpm, 16MB cache hd - ST3400632A - RK) that kanipek used. My recorder is functioning normally, except for "HDD ERR" on unit's lcd ("The Hard Disk Drive Info is Incorrect" on tv monitor) whenever the unit is powered on. I've also lost the ability to "edit title" (input names, including rename genres) and select from multiple thumbnail backgrounds when finalising a DVD disc. All other functions (timer/manual recording, copying, etc.) work beautifully. I'm convinced it's a firmware issue, but don't know how to resolve the problem. Anyone encounter this and have any suggestions/recommendations? If possible, please share.
    James - I have also just upgraded my 530H over this past week. The OmniRemote codes for a Palm listed earlier in this thread and information about the service disk was good and worked fine. The end result was the same as you described. (not ideal)

After resetting the CPRM info when requested the unit see's the hard disk and tells me I have 66hours of XP mode recording (300gb IDE HDD). I also got the same HDD ERR you got, and found I could not setup a DVD menu same as you (hadn't tried playing with the title names as yet). I also found that if I had a timer recording set the unit did not seem to happily turn itself on and start recording (maybe due to HDD ERR?), it would timer record fine if I left it on

I then decided to try and clone the 80gb drive using Linux and extending the partition. I could not find any util to extend the partition, but cloning the 80gb drive to my new 300gb drive left an 80gb partition and 220 gb of empty space. Not ideal, but all the normal functionality was back and no HDD ERR displayed on start up.

I was curious what would happen if the unit thought the filesystem was stuffed and offered to reinitialize the filesystem. So I edited some garbage into the partition under Linux, put the drive back in and the unit told me the filesystem was stuffed, asked me to initialize it. the unit decided to reinitialize the partition and use the entire drive. No HDD ERR on lcd, no error on screen, dvd menu setup is back.

Steps

(Note - there may be a much much easier way of initializing a drive via the service remote, but this worked for me)

1. Remove 80gb drive from DVR
    2. Obtain a bootable CD version of Linux
    3. Attach old drive from DVR and new target drive to your PC (i would reccomend disconnecting all other hard drives to avoid the slight chance of destroying your normal PC hard drive contents)
    4. Boot up Linux from CD and make sure it see's both hard drives
    5. Open a terminal window and become root user (su root)
    6. Find out which devices the two hard drives are ("dmesg | grep hdd" should do this - it should tell you something about your hard drives - you are looking for which device is the 80gb one, and which is the new bigger one)
    7. Check which is the source and desintation drive once more
    Assuming hdd = the 80gb source drive, and hdc = the new drive
    8. Copy the entire 80gb drive to the new drive as follows
    dd if=/dev/hdd of=/dev/hdc
    9. This will copy the entire /dev/hdd device to the /dev/hdc device - the partition table and partition contents (note: it is ultra important you get the if and of parts round the right way - otherwise you'll wipe your old 80gb drive)
    10. Put the new drive in the DVR, run through the CPRM ID setup as you had done before, and verify it now works ok (no HDD ERR, etc etc)
    11. Put the new drive back in your PC and boot Linux again (I'd reccomend not having any other drive plugged in)
    12. Assuming the new drive is still /dev/hdc, do the following
    13. "cat > /dev/hdc1"
    14. type some garbage (jdfjlkdfjkldsjklfdkjljkl) and hit enter and type some mroe garbage a few times
    15. press Ctrl-D to save your garbage
    16. Put the drive back in the DVR, turn it on, and hopefully it should say the filesystem is bad or something of that nature and offer you the chance to initialize it
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WOW!
    That sounds wonderful!

Hopefully we'll get some more people to verify this procedure.
    I'm still waiting for the cash to buy a new disk.

Wouldn't it be possible to use a laptop's IR to talk to the recorder?
    I don't have access to any Palm devices, you see
    I wonder if I'd need some kind of Palm-emulator or would just a similar program work on a laptop?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Here's an easier way to do it: How to change HDD in DVR-530/630H <-- Righyt click and SAVE AS....

EDIT: link does now work again!
    Pioneer FAQ http://pioneerfaq.info : Please visit the sponsors
    @Twitter
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the detailed instructions - encouraging and I'm hopeful it will work. Kanipek also suggested using my pc to re-initialise the new drive to try to fix the HDD ERR message and restore lost functions. I'll give it a shot over the next week and report back. Thanks again. R/James
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hikan - thanks - that does seem a bit easier and possibly safer. I wish I had seen that a few days ago
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm curious as to whether you have exactly the same 530H-S model/configuration (i.e., international code free/region free) as I do. Mine has VCR+ and following Hkan's instructions, I've confirmed the firmware version (7.1), but was surprised that the device indicated "Region 1" (North America) when I'd paid for the region/code free recorder. So I'm wondering whether my upgrade reset the region code (in which case that might bolster Hkan's firmware upgrade option) or whether (but dubious) the "Region 1" is hard-coded to device (even after dealer/store changes capability to play other region DVDs).

Is your firmware also 7.1 and what is/was region code? Are most video devices purchased in Australia region free? Post upgrade, my "minor" problems seem to differ slightly from yours: HDD ERR on powering up, along with lost: capability to edit or create titles and rename genres (right now they are number 1 - 5 or 6); choice of thumbnail backgrounds; and timeline marker when dividing or doing "erase section" of titles. Perhaps there are other functions that I haven't tried that don't work.

Thanks. R/James
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hkan
    Here's an easier way to do it: How to change HDD in DVR-530/&30H <-- Righyt click and SAVE AS....
    As it was posted into this thread, I'm hoping this applies equally to the 520H. (Or is the 530 much the same unit ?)

I'm also curious if anyone has succeeded in replacing the burner, should that prove necesseary ? The last I heard, the burner in this unit may have been a 107-XL, with some proprietary firmware that seemed to be the stumbling block. If you have to order the appropriate replacement part from Pioneer, out of warranty, they charge like $300. for it. Ouch !
    Quote Quote  
  24. Even if it is a multiregional DVR you got, it will show the original region it was set for. Only way to check that you actualy got a multiregional DVR is to play an DVD disc from another region.
    Pioneer FAQ http://pioneerfaq.info : Please visit the sponsors
    @Twitter
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. I have a Phillips PDMVR8 Universal Remote that has been programed as a Service Remote. I have tried it and it works. If anyone is interested, send me a PM or email me. Ed
    Ed Golla
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by palihora
    I have found in DEUTSCH sucesfully replace HD in DVR-433, but i dont understand if it was made by current/which is mentioned in this toppic/ pioneer_service.nrg or it must be new service DVD.

here is the link http://www.dvdboard.de/forum/showthread.php?t=83718&page=8
    I upgraded my DVR-433 using the pioneer_service.nrg.My DVR-433 had an ID like 0026xxxxx and manufacturing date of september 2005. I upgraded the Seagate 80GB to a Maxtor 160GB and it went without a glitch.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Success...with curing my multi-region Pioneer 530H-S HDD ERR problem. I recently upgraded the original 80GB hd to 400GB with tonnes of help from kanipek. Following the upgrade, copying, recording and playback worked normally; however, I lost all editing functions, thumbnails, etc, and the DVR displayed "HDD ERR" whenever it powered on. It took me a few hours (I would have saved an hour if I'd known what the "pipe" key is ), but thanks to the specific instructions from jahodges (plus a phone call to kanipek), I'm pleased to report the hard disk cloning prodedure works. My DVR works as new - full functionality is restored and I have 175+ hours in SP mode. I'm eternally grateful to jahodges and kanipek.

If you need to clone your hd, just follow jahodges instructions precisely - they work. I also realised that, when identifying which drive is hdd and which hdc (i.e., step #6 in jahodges post), "dmesg | grep hdd" identifies one hard drive and "dmesg | grep hdc" identifies the other. Also, in Linux, I couldn't determine when cloning was completed (step #8) (so I gave it approx. 90 minutes reasoning it might take a while for 80GB). Thank you, jahodges and kanipe.

I'll also post a brief version of) this on the 530 thread (hope that's not a no-no), in case someone needs this info. Thanks again. R/James
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ...my last post - apologies (I'm not that cool) must have selected an emoticon unintentionally. I meant "step #8".
    Quote Quote  
  29. Has anyone been able to install a 500gb HD in their Pioneer DVD recorder?

I worked out you would get 107.25 hours in XP, 214.5 hours in SP, 429 hours in LP, 858.13 hours in EP(8 hours).
    Quote Quote