VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I own a govideo dvd recorder and I'd like to know how to go about editing the tv programs that I record with it. I want to remove the commercials. The recorder creates a video_rm folder, which contains bup, ifo and dat files. It also creates a video_ts folder, which contains bup, ifo and vob files. I tried using TMPeg author, but I didn't get very far. I loaded one of those files, but nothing happened when I pressed play. Which software would be best for this type of editing? Which of the above-mentioned files need to be loaded into the software in order for editing to occur? Which of these files contain the audio, id separate from the video? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you have TMPG DVD Author, just load the .VOB files in # order, you can then edit out the commercials in the chapter edit mode and make a menu and reauthor and burn.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by soundforbjt
    If you have TMPG DVD Author, just load the .VOB files in # order, you can then edit out the commercials in the chapter edit mode and make a menu and reauthor and burn.

That's all there is to it. But to answer your question, the audio and video are mixed together in the vob files in the video_ts folder.

TMPGEnc DVD Author is a great tool for this! I do this twice a week with my kid's TV shows.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Copy the entire DVD to your hard drive including the VIDEO_TS folder. Use TDA and select the "ADD DVD VIDEO" button to input the entire DVD.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies. I had a little better luck with TMPGEnc Author this time. I added one of the vob files and was able to remove the commercials. However, when I tried to add the other two vob files for editing, I received the following message: "This is an illegal video file. For DVD standard you can only use MPEG-1 Video or MPEG-2 Video."

I don't understand why I got this error. It is the same type of file recorded from the same source on the same dvd recorder as the first file. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote