VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Dear Folks: I am in need of a hardware card of some kind where I can input hdmi or dvi into my PC. I checked with ATI & they said thay do not make a video card with a hdmi or dvi input. I will be getting Dish network with hdtv with a dvi output I want to input this into my pc. Any help would greatly be apprecaited.

Thanks,
    Will
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you will need a dvi to analog converter -- which prob. are not cheap, if you can get it to work .. .. hdmi, no way ...

there IS a dvi capture card - but it is super expensive --

why not get the package that comes with a PVR instead?
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When you find one let us know.

The movie and TV industries are united to prevent you from doing that. HD-DVI and HDMI both contain HDCP encryption and will only work with HDCP compatible devices. These are usually limited to HDTV sets and approved peripherals.

A better strategy is to look for a Y, Pb, Pr analog component input card that supports 480p, 720p and 1080i but those can't be found either except at pro broadcast prices.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Well it sems ridiculous to me that they don't make a dvi/hdmi input card for consumers. I contacted ATI about that and this is what they said "Regarding products:

At this time we do not have any plans to implement such technology (DVI
    and HDMI input) into our video cards . Our current line of products
    targets the regular home users. When we announce new products it will be
    posted on our web site so please visit it periodically to see if any
    new product matches your needs.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.

Regards,

Sean Iu
    Customer Care"

Now of course the home consumer would want a video card with a dvi/hdmi input, so this email is bogus. I currently have a ATI Radeon & I have used it a lot for capturing. ATI sells a HDTV tuner card with no HDMI/DVI input I mean it is pretty silly to not ad on such a feature especially when the tuner card sells for $200!! I basically just want to watch HDTV on my PC my PC Monitor is DVI input, but then I would have to have some kind of bypass so I could hook up my PC to it as well and then I could not hook it up to my PC sound.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hmm = maybe read up on piracy
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yup welcome to the world of the DMCA. ATI would be forced out of business if they made a DVI or HDMI card capable of being used for HDCP decryption.

Worse yet, the broadcast record flag is coming mid year.
    http://www.eff.org/broadcastflag/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i wonder if that is going to happen in canada also (prob.)
    Quote Quote  
  8. I would even go for a component video input card too, but like you said it would be expensive. I would even consider the HDTV tuner card, but I only get CBS in HD here.

Thanks,
    Will
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I predict an affordable analog component Y, Pb, Pr 480p, 1080i import card will be allowed. We shall see.

Originally Posted by ima2hd
    I would even go for a component video input card too, but like you said it would be expensive. I would even consider the HDTV tuner card, but I only get CBS in HD here.

Thanks,
    Will
    Many over the air HDTV tuners exist. That option is open.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, great place-I'm glad I came across it.

Sorry to bump up an ancient topic but this was the most relevant one I found-
    I too would appreciate a way to get a satellite or even hdmi content into a pc in general-however I don't know enough about this type of thing yet. So, just a few questions:
    How do media center tvs handle television, multiple video inputs, etc.?
    Also, I get from this thread that there probably isn't a way to get satellite fed directly to the pc; if I were to get a dvr for that, could I record shows to the pc another way (firewire, for example)?
    Finally, if that isn't doable, do you know if most dvrs are willing to record through a firewire port (like from a digital camcorder)?

Thanks a lot

EDIT: err, oops-looks like a new topic like this has sprung up in the 11 days since I registered to post-sorry :/
    "Dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are."
    "Don't genius live in a lamp?"
    -Patrick Star
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hate to be blunt but this is how Microsoft has set up Media Center Support.

You buy a machine from a certified MCE OEM and they are supposed to provide all support and upgrades. There is a short list of apporved parts that the OEM program maintains and only those are allowed for upgrades.

There are forums devoted to homebrew MCE enhancements but there is no factory support for these mods.

The MS MCE world is evolving to a true HDTV PVR but right now, that is only supported for simple OTA tuners like the ATI HD Wonder.

Comcast has proposed that HD storage and control be centered inside the cable company supplied DVR (Motorola DCT6412 in the trial) with control of the DVR provided from MCE. DBS companies are likely to go that way as well.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  12. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    There's a few 'component in' boxes out there. I have no idea of their specifications or if they would work for what you want, but take a look.

Canopus MPEGPro MVR ~$500US - Appears to have a hardware MPEG encoder

Pyro A/V Link ~$150US - Converts to DV
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I think this is what you are looking for.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Magical Trevor

Also, I get from this thread that there probably isn't a way to get satellite fed directly to the pc; if I were to get a dvr for that, could I record shows to the pc another way (firewire, for example)?
    Finally, if that isn't doable, do you know if most dvrs are willing to record through a firewire port (like from a digital camcorder)?
    Analog paths exist. The digital paths are generally blocked to the PC by intention. There are cable boxes that support D-VHS MPeg2_TS streams over IEEE-1394 but not DV. In most cases, the TS streams are encrypted or soon will be. The exception is rebroadcast of local DTV stations where the FCC ruled last April that these cannot be encryped by the cable (or DBS) company, but the option was left open for the DTV station to encrypt it's own stream content.

The DVI or HDMI outputs from cable-dbs boxes (also the future HD DVD players) will eventually be protected by HDCP encryption and require HDCP monitor support.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, so thanks to all this protection, encryption blah blah () I'd have to use a DVR for television programs and a pc for my own recordings, no ifs ands or buts.... nice
    (if using all-digital, which I'd prefer to keep up quality)
    Ah well, I'm glad for the clarification
    "Dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are."
    "Don't genius live in a lamp?"
    -Patrick Star
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Magical Trevor
    OK, so thanks to all this protection, encryption blah blah () I'd have to use a DVR for television programs and a pc for my own recordings, no ifs ands or buts.... nice
    (if using all-digital, which I'd prefer to keep up quality)
    Ah well, I'm glad for the clarification
    Analog still gets good results, if not HDTV. I record SD and HD channels from the cable box S-Video Y/C port to 480i 6-8 Mb/s MPeg2 and the results are good enough. I have the option to record the TS streams from the locals in HDTV but that is ~30min per DVDR single layer (37min if you IVTC). Too much trouble if you ask me.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    you will need a dvi to analog converter -- which prob. are not cheap, if you can get it to work .. .. hdmi, no way ...

there IS a dvi capture card - but it is super expensive --

why not get the package that comes with a PVR instead?
    Hello,
    I found a Hdmi capture card and its suppose to work with a STB. The queston I have is will it work with MC?
    Black Magic has the card for about 250.00. I have an E-mail out and soon as I hear something, I'll share.
    Have a Great Day ........xeon3360
    Quote Quote  
  18. Everything out of your STB will be HDCP encrypted. The Black Magic Intensity will not capture it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by xeon3360

Hello,
    I found a Hdmi capture card and its suppose to work with a STB. The queston I have is will it work with MC?
    Black Magic has the card for about 250.00. I have an E-mail out and soon as I hear something, I'll share.
    Have a Great Day ........xeon3360
    Use search here. The card has been discussed extensively.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do I delete a message I posted? Also, how do I post a reply to a reply? Thanks. James
    Last edited by jamesup; 6th Apr 2010 at 00:29.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have Time Warner Cable TV and a TV tuner card that will capture analog channels from the cable box with a coax connection. However, the video quality is so poor that the channels are hardly worth viewing. I am unable to capture HDTV from the cable box to my computer monitor; so I purchased a small TV that has an HDMI port and have that set up beside my computer to watch HDTV. The video card with the HDMI port would have to be a TV tuner card, since Time Warner transmits HDTV signals to TV channel 3. The actual channels are then selected by the remote. A regular video card would not have a TV channel 3 for selection. Apparently, companies don't want pay cable HDTV captured on computers; so it sounds as though that capability will never take place. If there is an informed person who believes otherwise, I would appreciate a comment. Thanks. James
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jamesup View Post
    I have Time Warner Cable TV and a TV tuner card that will capture analog channels from the cable box with a coax connection. However, the video quality is so poor that the channels are hardly worth viewing. I am unable to capture HDTV from the cable box to my computer monitor; so I purchased a small TV that has an HDMI port and have that set up beside my computer to watch HDTV. The video card with the HDMI port would have to be a TV tuner card, since Time Warner transmits HDTV signals to TV channel 3. The actual channels are then selected by the remote. A regular video card would not have a TV channel 3 for selection. Apparently, companies don't want pay cable HDTV captured on computers; so it sounds as though that capability will never take place. If there is an informed person who believes otherwise, I would appreciate a comment. Thanks. James
    First this thread began in 2005 but the HDCP encryption still affects recent HDMI input cards. They are mainly designed for input from game consoles or camcorders that don't use HDCP encryption. There are devices that capture high definition analog component (Y, Pb, Pr). The most suitable device for most people is the Hauppauge HD-PVR. It hardware encodes directly to h.264 taking no computer resource except to monitor or play back. This would take a AVIVO-HD or PureVideo-HD display card in the computer.

There is also the Black Magic Intensity Pro but this has no hardware compression. It takes a fast CPU to software encode to MJPeg (or Cineform) at high bit rate. Then the MJPeg is edited and software encoded. This also takes a large CPU and has long encode times.

Your TV channel 3 output from the Time Warner cable box is not HD. It is RF NTSC. HD is only output from analog component, DVI-D or HDMI connections.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by eddv
    The most suitable device for most people is the Hauppauge HD-PVR. It hardware encodes directly to h.264 taking no computer resource except to monitor or play back. This would take a AVIVO-HD or PureVideo-HD display card in the computer.
    I completely support this method. This is what I use with my comcast hd cable box. Though I also use it to capture game footage and other video from my ps3 and xbox 360. The hauppauge hd pvr couldn't be more straight forward to use either.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    The most suitable device for most people is the Hauppauge HD-PVR. It hardware encodes directly to h.264 taking no computer resource except to monitor or play back. This would take a AVIVO-HD or PureVideo-HD display card in the computer.
    I completely support this method. This is what I use with my comcast hd cable box. Though I also use it to capture game footage and other video from my ps3 and xbox 360. The hauppauge hd pvr couldn't be more straight forward to use either.
    I don't see any HDMI inputs on that box. So i take it i;d have to use an hdmi to component converter or something?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    I don't see any HDMI inputs on that box. So i take it i;d have to use an hdmi to component converter or something?
    No. You use the analog component outputs from your device. What are you capturing from?
    Quote Quote