VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was interested in what kind of injet paper do you use for printing inserts. I have 2 HP printers and a Lexmark. With the Lexmark you change the size in the settings and you can print an insert just fine in letter size paper. Just my Lexmark is too slow and I am gonna get rid of it.
    The HPs are much faster but you cannot fool them. Even if you change the settings ie legal, a4 or custom, the printer recognises the size of paper you are using. The result is a cut image. Although the size of a letter size paper is bigger than the insert, the printable area of HP is smaller (shorter).
    Now I am looking for good quality a4 or letter size paper at a good price.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes some printers cannot print to the outer edges of the paper. Look and see if your printer has a "borderless" setting. This should allow it to print edge to edge, but you sometimes get poor printing on the edges like smudging etc... Another option is to tape a little strip of paper to the edge. The problem is that the rollers need more paper to grab onto, and this extra strip will suffice.

I use ultrahigh gloss photopaper for my inserts. Its expensive but looks great.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I use Kirkland Photopaper for personal DVDs and I use Epson or Kodak for my clients.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use HP photo semi-gloss (letter).
    Excellent finish at a very good price (14$ for 100).
    It's 6.5 mil thick, which is perfect. They are easy to insert inside the cover.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Canon i960 photo printer and just recently started using Royalbrites High Gloss photo paper that I found at Sam's Club. It's a nice weight and comes 150 sheets to a package for $18.66
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks guys,
    I see everybody uses letter size. But what about the "outside border" printing or shall I try Adam's suggestion - "tape a strip to the edge of the paper".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by adis68
    Thanks guys,
    I see everybody uses letter size. But what about the "outside border" printing or shall I try Adam's suggestion - "tape a strip to the edge of the paper".
    I use legal-sized paper (8 1/2 x 14), then just trim it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. How does using the ultragloss photo paper compare to using custom pre-printed paper (i.e. label inserts from Memorex, Avery, etc.)? I assume that after using photo paper you have to cut and trim the paper to fit into the DVD case?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I use a lexmark Z35 and photo paper except I tape a 1 inch strip to the end of the paper so the printer will print to 1/16 inch from the edge. This works great for me. Just remove the strip and use it on the next sheet of paper I am going to print. Yes, I still have to trim around the cover but not a big problem.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use the DVD cover inserts from Meritline. They're A4 size and they're perforated so you just peel off the edges after printing. Very easy.

They have both glossy finish and matte finish ones. I like the glossy finish better but I switched to the matte finish because the ink from my old Epson printer would never dry on the glossy ones. (It's a weird finish - almost like plastic.) My new Canon printer does not have the ink drying problem, so I'll probably switch back to the glossy ones.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm trying to decide what sort of paper to get, and I found this eBay auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5105166352&fromMakeTrack=true
    The seller doesn't say what brand the inserts are. They look like they're already perforated or something. I'm reluctant to buy unless I know *what* I'm getting, but the price seems good: it breaks down to .16/page. Any advice?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Okay, I heard back from the seller. He says the labels are by Compulabel. Is that a good brand? Anyone have experience with Compulabel?
    Quote Quote