VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

please excuse my lack of knowledge as I am new to this arena.

What I would like to do is edit VOB movie files, with the goal of cutting some scenes out of my movies to make them suitable for younger viewers. It would basiclly be like cutting commercials.

If I can't do this with strait VOB files, do I need to convert them first to AVI or MPEG2? I am familiar with DVDDecrypter, ripping the IFOs.

What would you guys suggest? Or point me to guides that would better explain this process. Is there any freeware that would do this?

Thanks in advance,
    Gage
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can simply change the .vob file extension to .mpg and then open the files in an editor that can work with mpeg files. Once you've cut bits out you'd need to change the file extension back. Whether a DVD would still play back OK or not I don't know as the length of the vobs would have changed. Try it and see.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

You could use dvd shrink. Go to open files and select the folder they're in. Then go to reauthor mode and select the main title (this will be a movie only copy - you could use a program like tmpgenc dvd author that will accept vobs after the shrink to make your own menus).

Then on the left side of the reauthor window with the main movie selected press the "start/end" button. This will let you select only the scenes you want to keep.

Though keep in mind this will lead to abrupt cuts from point a to b. You'd have to reencode the whole movie to throw in smoother transitions. There are authoring packages listed under TOOLS on the left of the screen <------

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are at least 2 free mpeg cutters listed in the tool section. But I have to say I have never been able to get them to work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to add transitions, Womble MPEG VIDEO WIZARD works directly with VOB files. It's a bit expensive, but they offer a 30day free trial.

TMPGEnc DVD Author is a great program for adding chapters and menus, but the editing stinks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Try VOB Blanker's Cut/Preview function. I've never tried to do more than one edit, so I think you might have to process every one of your edits one at a time.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes, I saw the guide on Womble MPEG VIDEO WIZARD, it was just the cash. If I have to make new menues and stuff then it probably isn't worth it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. After trying several trial programs I have decided that Womble MPEG-VCR is the absolute easiest for editing VOB or MPEG files. It doesn't even need to encode them again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    how about not censoring your kids - but bringing them up so they know about what is right and wrong and can make decisions for themselves -- or not watch the movie at all ..
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Richard_G
    You can simply change the .vob file extension to .mpg and then open the files in an editor that can work with mpeg files.
    This usually works with MP2 audio,most NLE programs will not accept an .mpg with AC3 or LPCM audio.My choice for freeware programs are DVDShrink or VOBBlanker.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gage8
    After trying several trial programs I have decided that Womble MPEG-VCR is the absolute easiest for editing VOB or MPEG files. It doesn't even need to encode them again.
    I use womble's MGEG Video Wizard (MVW) which costs a little more than MPEG-VCR but is by the same author and has a lot more features (When you buy MVW you get MPEG-VCR for free). I started with MPEG-VCR but found that simple cuts were a little too annoying to watch. MVW gives you a time-line that allows you to make the cuts look a lot nicer. For example, a lot of times I have found that I can replace a bad word with a different one from some other part of the movie (spoken by the same actor). Now, I can invite my friends to watch the movie and I can feel confortable that they won't feel like they are watching a "hacked up" version of the movie (it is similar to watching a TV-version of a movie where they clean up the language).

I also found that most of the "annoyance" of a straight cut was that the audio changes drastically (usually the background music). So I can fix the abupt audio change by adding additional audio on top of the existing audio to make it sound a lot nicer. If you're interested in the details of any of this, feel free to send me a private message and I can be a little more specific.
    Zakkkkkman
    Quote Quote