VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a new JVC X-VN-312 DVD player, my first DVD.

Every disc That I've bought has played OK (with the exception of the "extras" on one, with which the "enter" button merely moved the cursor along to the next item, and didn't play the section) but a good 50% of the DVDs from our library and a video store don't load.

The display either says "no disc" or "cannot read disc".

One DVD would play up to 9 seconds, then just locked with the laser hunting with a clicking noise, every time.

All the discs were properly cleaned although mostly fairly scratched.

Is the JVC particularly prone to read errors? The girl at the store said that the cheapest players are the best for being able to play abused discs.

TIA
    Datastream
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Datastream
    The girl at the store said that the cheapest players are the best for being able to play abused discs.

TIA
    The girl in the store is wise (grin). I've seen numerous comments in numerous threads stating as much and, two years ago, bought an APEX AD-1100W based on the suggestion it would play anything with a shiny surface. That assessment is a close one. I have burned raw MPEG1 files to a CD-R and it will play them just like a VCD (grin). You just have to click on the menu that comes up and select the MPG file.

But back to your question. If you're only watching rented or purchased DVDs and you're experiencing problems (especially on the new purchased DVDs), that sounds like you got a bad player. Not that the brand itself is bad, it's not. But the particular unit you bought may be bad. If it's recently purchased, take it back to the store, tell them the problems you're having with it, and see if they'll do an "exchange". An exchange might do the trick.

Click here to read comments by those who own your particular model. The reviews are largely positive but not all positive.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.

One weird thing was a video store movie which would not play beyond 9 seconds or not read in the first place and the disc was spotless. We exchanged it for the same movie, the disc was scratched to hell - and played flawlessly!
    Datastream
    Quote Quote