VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Fantastic guide, and still relevant for what I wanted to do. I had a faulty VTS_01_1.VOB file on many disks, due to the way the disk menus had been created by a video->dvd recorder. I was able to convert all of the .VOB files on the disk, but the VTS_01_1.VOB just wasn't working (too much rubbish before the navigation pack), this guide has done the job (plus Vobedit and Ifoedit of course!). Many thanks, jimmalenko.

Drew
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No worries

It still amazes me that this method, whilst pre-historic now, still works as good as it always did.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi, thanks for all the great info here!! I'm trying to follow your guide to rip DVD-R's of VHS tapes recorded on a standalone Toshiba DVD Recorder so I can add chapter locations and reauthor to DVD+R. I'm ripping with DVD Decrypter in IFO mode, then demuxing the resultant VOB file in VOBEdit.

The problem comes with having to locate times in the m2v file for chapter locations: no matter what I use to play it (WMP, RealPlayer, GOMPlayer, Machete Lite, DVDAuthorGUI Visual Chapter Creator), the total time is completely wrong, showing at 1:21:48 for a 2 hour VHS, and the time locations are inconsistent. For example, the point where I want my first chapter location can range from 00:46 seconds to 00:54 seconds, depending on how I approach it (playing from beginning, using location slider, FF / REW buttons, etc). I tried this on two different Win XP machines and the times are inconsistent on both.

Guessing it had to do something with the framerate, I tried running it through pulldown.exe from command prompt (no settings); the resultant file had the same total time and location inconsistencies, but looked worse (vertical lines appeared during moving text sequences, etc). If anyone knows settings to use in GUIpulldown.exe to correct this problem, please let me know.

My other guess is that it has to do with the MPEG-2 decoders? When viewed in WMP, properties say GPL MPEG-1/2 on one machine, and CyberLink Video/SP on the other.

My only other idea is if I can find a program that shows frame numbers as it plays, incase those are consistent, I can use those to create a Celltimes.txt file for IFOEdit to author... but I haven't found such a program.
    Last edited by dogpapa; 8th Aug 2011 at 12:35.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dogpapa View Post
    demuxing the resultant VOB file in VOBEdit.
    Un-necessary most of the time. Download a trial version of a real "authoring" program, much easier.

Originally Posted by dogpapa View Post
    Guessing it had to do something with the framerate, I tried running it through pulldown
    VERY un-necessary. Wrong tool for non-existent problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    This guide probably isn't the best/easiest/fastest way of doing what you want to do. However, it can do it.

Sounds like the indexing of your M2V is out of whack. Can you use the original DVD to work out the time codes for chapters then see how it goes using them ?
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks Jimmalenko, and you were right on both points!

I Googled all day and didn't find much about timing problems with M2V, but alot with VOB's. One person said VideoLAN VLC Media Player worked for them, so I downloaded it and tried a test with a 10-minute music video DVD. I DVD Decrypter'd it in IFO Mode and opened the VOB in VLC and it played fine, showed the correct total time, consistent locations as I scrolled around... all without demuxing! So it seems I can use VLC to get my chapter times straight from the VOB before authoring.

Now I'm trying a similar test with a 2-hour DVD, which I know there are issues with VOB's over 1GB. When I Decrypter'd in IFO Mode (one big VOB), VLC didn't show correct timings of the VOB. Thinking it was due to the file size, I Decrypter'd in File Mode (consecutive series of <1GB VOB's), and VLC didn't show correct timings on any of them, however I tried opening the IFO file, and it began playing the entire movie as if it was one consecutive file, with correct timings! I went back and tried the IFO for the big VOB, and it couldn't open it all.

So as it stands, I'll Decrypt in File Mode and open the IFO in VLC to get my chapter times, and then Decrypt in IFO Mode and author from the big VOB.

I'll post the final process, including authoring, when I get all the bugs worked out.

...I LOVE the fact that this is all with FREE programs!
    Last edited by dogpapa; 9th Aug 2011 at 13:53. Reason: correction
    Quote Quote  
  7. OK, so I authored in DVDAuthorGUI using time locations from playing the File Mode Decrypted VOB's in VLC Media Player as chapter times. Then I opened the authored DVD folder in VLC to check it, and the chapter times shown AND footage locations were all later than I specified: chaps 2, 3 & 4 were authored at 01:05, 05:58 & 11:20, but when I skipped to those chaps in VLC it brought me to 01:13, 06:14 & 11:49 (starting off by 8 seconds and getting progressively later).

Thinking it might still be a Windows thing, I burned to DVD and popped it into my DVD player. When I skipped to those same chapters, the footage locations were the same wrong ones as in VLC, but the timings shown onscreen were EARLIER -- 00:54, 05:41, 10:55!

So, I wrote down those times, plugged them into DVDAuthorGUI, reauthored, burned and put it in the DVD player. Now the chapters were exactly right at the beginning, and just drifted a bit earlier towards the end of the disc: chaps 13, 14 & 15 authored at 1:29:15, 1:39:44 & 1:48:16, the DVD player had them at 1:29:10, 1:39:38 & 1:48:09. I wonder if that's due to inaccuracy with the authoring or burning programs I used, or my hardware?

Anyway, I'm down to a max 7-second difference for a 2-hour DVD, but I'd like to get it just right, if possible.

So it seems my chapter time problem wasn't so much about the Decrypting method, but that there's a significant discrepancy between recorded DVD timings on a PC versus an actual DVD player... and then a small one from DVD player > PC > DVD player.

If anyone has any ideas about this, please join in the conversation.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi jimmalenko,

Thank you for the guide, but I'm having problems following it. Could you please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

In the 2nd field where I locate the audio file, I only see "VTS_01_1.c0.mpa" and nothing else (no AC3 files).
    Then after pressing OK, first I get an error message (see screenshot) and then another error message saying "Too many frame drops!"

Please advise me on how to fix this issue. Thank you for your time!!

L
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	01.PNG
Views:	323
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	8115  

Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by dogpapa View Post
    chaps 13, 14 & 15 authored at 1:29:15, 1:39:44 & 1:48:16, the DVD player had them at 1:29:10, 1:39:38 & 1:48:09. D player.
    If anyone has any ideas about this, please join in the conversation.
    It's a difference between how the timings are determined. The first set you gave are drop frame timing (29.97fps) (and are the 'real' times) while the second set are non-drop frame timings (30fps). The difference amounts to a little over 7 seconds by the end of a two hour movie. Therefore you can't take the times from the DVD player and then plug them into DVDAuthorGUI.

If this is a retail DVD you should be able to get the times in a format at least close to the one DVDAuthorGUI will accept and then edit it a bit from there. For example, PGCEdit can give you the chapter times in a number of different formats, as can DVD Decrypter. And you then shouldn't have the problem. And if this is a retail DVD, why are you using DVDAuthorGUI in the first place? When there are much better ways to stick a reencoded DVD back into the original one?

And if this is a music video compilation DVD you're making, I can explain a much better way to get the job done where you don't even have to mess with chapter timings.
    Last edited by manono; 11th Aug 2011 at 23:38.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    It's a difference between how the timings are determined. The first set you gave are drop frame timing (29.97fps) (and are the 'real' times) while the second set are non-drop frame timings (30fps). The difference amounts to a little over 7 seconds by the end of a two hour movie. Therefore you can't take the times from the DVD player and then plug them into DVDAuthorGUI.
    MANONO, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT EXPLANATION!! I had a feeling it had to do with frame rates. I can deal with 7 seconds after 2 hours... or I'll create an Excel formula to convert non-drop to drop for the author.

Originally Posted by manono View Post
    If this is a retail DVD you should be able to get the times in a format at least close to the one DVDAuthorGUI will accept and then edit it a bit from there.
    It's not, it's a VHS tape recorded straight to DVD-R with a standalone DVD recorder, which results in one very long chapter... hence the need to create chapters and reauthor.
    Quote Quote