VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. I watch DVD's on my computer and have not had a problem until now...I tried to watch both "Resident Evil Apocalypse" and "I Robot" but none of my player programs (Power DVD & Windows Media Player 10) will recognize that there is a disc in the E: drive...I even went into the "My Computer" area to see if the disc was recognized but it says that the drive is empty (no media found)...i even tried DVD shrink I read about to see if I could put them on my hard drive to watch them as a file but still no media is recognized from these 2 discs...all my other movies play fine...any ideas???
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There are 3 possibilities

Defective discs

Dirty Laser Lens

Defective dvd drive
    Quote Quote  
  3. Not a defective disc
    Not a dirty laser len
    Not a defective.... Look and search and you'll find the coding on the Resident Evil is different. It should play on your standalone DVD player. It's protected and my PowerDVD couldn't recognize it also. Alot of people are finding their backup techniques needs to be altered.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Well it's not a Defective disc, Dirty Laser Lens or Defective dvd drive...like I had stated earlier all other DVD's will play...The discs will play in a PS2 and a DVD player (i tried both) but how can i get my computer to recognize the DVD's so I can make a backup copy of the disc? (I have a backup copy of all of my purchased DVD's)...and I do alot of traveling so I want to be able to put them on my (lap top) hard drive...I have DVD shrink but it will not work because it cannot see the DVD in the drive.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by monstercaper
    Well it's not a Defective disc, Dirty Laser Lens or Defective dvd drive...like I had stated earlier all other DVD's will play...The discs will play in a PS2 and a DVD player (i tried both) but how can i get my computer to recognize the DVD's so I can make a backup copy of the disc? (I have a backup copy of all of my purchased DVD's)...and I do alot of traveling so I want to be able to put them on my (lap top) hard drive...I have DVD shrink but it will not work because it cannot see the DVD in the drive.
    The fact that Irobot would not register as being in the drive could indicate a defective disc.

That was my point.

I had no problem with Irobot using PowerDVD
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Bazooka -

I would be very interested to hear if you can elaborate upon that, please.

I had experienced the same issue with several disks in the past - but could never determine what was producing this effect.

In some cases, some dvd's tend to want to install some Intervideo software when being read by a computer upon bootup of the disc. So I am curious if perhaps some means is being exploited (through this mechanism) to circumvent playing/seeing such a dvd in a pc environment.

While it would be helpful to me to understand more - I am sure others would benefit if someone could explain just what the real situation is here.

Thanks much.
    Whatever doesn't kill me, merely ticks me off. (Never again a Sony consumer.)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Like I stated earlier, alot of people have questioned and answered this same problem. Do a search and you'll find the answer. I've gotten my problem solved. You can do it with DVDDecrypter with a mod or use VobBlanker. Do a good search thru CDFreaks forum!

Happy Hunting.......
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are referring to Interactual's PCFriendly (or PCUnfriendly as many like to call) software, then stopping that from causing a problem with playback is as simple as saying "no, I don't want to install your garbage software" to it. I even disabled AutoPlay on my drives in order to get rid of it.
    "It's getting to the point now when I'm with you, I no longer want to have something stuck in my eye..."
    Quote Quote  
  9. I also played and backed-up i,Robot with no problems.As others have said disabling autorun fixes most problems with CD's and DVD's.
    I have found that when my PC won't recognize a disc I will reboot or run ISOBuster first.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Could you people quit speculating on what it could be and speak from personal experience? It's kinda bad news if you're talking about another DVD movie and what it could be. It's not a defective disc, DVD reader, dirty lens or DVD Software. It's a different code and you'll need to use VobBlanker or a mod PSL file attached to DVDDecrypter to be able to successfully backup RE2. Go to the forum and read -----> http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You asked, did you not?

Seriously, there are many ways in which this protection could be bypassed. You're just not being creative enough. Myself, I would simply use DVDShrink to select one of the two versions available and leave it at that. Nobody in their right mind watches Foolscreen or other modifications of the OAR anymore.

We also cannot simply provide a complete solution without doing a bit of speculation and research. Be realistic.
    "It's getting to the point now when I'm with you, I no longer want to have something stuck in my eye..."
    Quote Quote  
  12. DvdShrink will just run in cycle...will not complete the initial read.....Try IT.....!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Nobody@home
    Could you people quit speculating on what it could be and speak from personal experience? It's kinda bad news if you're talking about another DVD movie and what it could be. It's not a defective disc, DVD reader, dirty lens or DVD Software. It's a different code and you'll need to use VobBlanker or a mod PSL file attached to DVDDecrypter to be able to successfully backup RE2. Go to the forum and read -----> http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

I think you need to do the reading - the OP in this thread would be a good start

I watch DVD's on my computer and have not had a problem until now...I tried to watch both "Resident Evil Apocalypse" and "I Robot" but none of my player programs (Power DVD & Windows Media Player 10) will recognize that there is a disc in the E: drive...I even went into the "My Computer" area to see if the disc was recognized but it says that the drive is empty (no media found)...i even tried DVD shrink I read about to see if I could put them on my hard drive to watch them as a file but still no media is recognized from these 2 discs...all my other movies play fine...any ideas???
    ALL commercial titles must be able to be played on all DVD Players (including DVD-ROMS) to be compliant. What you say about VOBBlanker is true, if you are trying to rip the disc. Mere playback or detection in My Computer/Windows Explorer is not (and should not be) affected by this new variant of copy protection.

That means that we're left with a defective disc, DVD reader, dirty lens or DVD Software, or possibly even an autorun (such as interactual) that is causing the issue.

There truly is nobody@home. At least he's not lying
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I had the same identical troubles monstercaper had. I used 4 different systems (DVD Burners) without success using DVDXcopy Express, DVDdecypter, DVDshrink. Now that's real world experience. What's your???????????
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I had the same identical troubles monstercaper had. I used 4 different systems (DVD Burners) without success using DVDXcopy Express, DVDdecypter, DVDshrink. Now that's real world experience. What's your???????????
    Choking when ripping is different to choking on playback. This user is talking about playback. The idea is that PowerDVD, WinDVD or any other Software DVD players play the DVD the exact-same way as a settop DVD Player (based on instructions found in the IFO files). These instructions tell the player to skip these intentionally unreadable sectors, thus not affecting the DVD in playback, only when ripping.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Look, we can continue this on and on and on...... go to this forum and read the problem with Resident Evil ... you haven't touched this DVD so it's alot of pure speculation on your part. It's getting tiring listening to Defective this and that... http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=119198

report your opinions once you've read anything in that post. I'm eager to here your real experience on this specific DVD.....
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nobody:

You seem to be under some illusion that the participants in this forum are under some obligation to help you. They are not. Every bit of help given in this forum is completely voluntary, which means that answers to unusual problems such as this can be somewhat slow in the coming. A bit-for-bit backup of a disc will not introduce new problems that weren't in the original disc (or the media it is being copied to). It's as simple as that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    report your opinions once you've read anything in that post. I'm eager to here your real experience on this specific DVD.....
    I've read quite a few threads here, @ doom9 and cdfreaks over the past couple of days FYI. From all reports I've read, there are intentional mastering errors included in the disc to make ripping programs choke. Your experience (and many others, I might add) validates this 100%, as you said you have tried DVDXcopy Express, DVDDecrypter, DVDshrink - all ripping programs. That is the part where you don't seem to be listening - your experience is purely based on trying to rip the DVD, and that is where VOBBlanker or DVDDecrypter with a PSL list can be used to overcome this. You have no argument from me in this aspect, as this has been proven and solved already.

However, playback using software DVD players on PCs is exactly the same as playing the DVD on your settop DVD player. This is a fact and part of the DVD specs - that's how DVDs are able to be played on both standalone DVD units as well as PC DVD units. There can be no questioning of this. This is the way DVDs work. This thread is solely about playback on the computer - nothing to do with ripping the disc at all. DVDShrink was tried as an afterthought - nothing more, nothing less.

Lastly, I am pretty confident this will not affect me as I live in Region 4, and it seems that Regions 1 & 2 are the main targets with any variants of copy protection.

Here's a (rhetorical) question for you ? How can it be that Resident Evil: Apocalypse can play flawlessly on your settop DVD player, yet you cannot rip it unless you resort to VOBBlanker or DVDDecrypter with a PSL list ?

... anyway, I've said my piece, and I know I'm right.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. It's a problem with playback alright and not imagined when using PowerDVD for playback. Was able to manually use PowerDVD and bypass the opening scene, otherwise as monstercaper says, it will display "No Disc". You can't figure it's a problem, you're totally no in the same ballpark.....nuff said.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Let's say for the sake of argument that you're not making it up.

There are still a number of questions that need to be asked in this deal.

1) What version of PowerDVD are we talking about here? There are numerous versions, some of which have different capabilities and incompatibilities.

2) What DVD-ROM drive are you using to play back the disc? Contrary to what is implied here, some discs refuse to play back on certain drives due to programming quirks. Mickeysoft has taught us to accept this as normal.

3) What OS are you using?

4) What firmware does your drive have?

And so on...

Oh, I forgot:

6) Do you expect us to hold your hand and read your mind through it all? Sorry, it don't work that way. You have to be able to give enough info to make the problem clear. So far, all I have seen from you is variations on "it doesn't work!".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "My Computer" (Windows Explorer) does not read UDF-only mode discs on many versions of the OS. It does not have to. The DVD player software WILL read the UDF data on the disc. So that's a terrible test to "see if the disc has data" on a computer. If you want "see if the disc is there" then you need to use DVD player software. PowerDVD and WinDVD are suggested.

Nobody@home, I have no idea what you're going on and on about. Ripping is not playing.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Nobody@home, I have no idea what you're going on and on about. Ripping is not playing.
    That makes 3 of us

@Nobody@home:
    I followed the link that you provided .... and guess what ... the title of the thread is:
    DVD movie Resident Evil: Apocalypse, Cannot be RIPPED

Please think long and hard before you say something stupid
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please think long and hard before you say something stupid
    Now that would definitely be a first.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I am totally shocked that some of you haven't read I had the identical troubles reading/playback on RE2 just as the OP said. Ripping is what his intentions were and I mentioned the problems others have had making backups. I used PowerDVD ver 5 with WinXP. Autoplay generated a no disc problem till I manually moved to start the movie. I eventually tried several DVD burners and came up with identical troubles on playback. Then I moved it to a Philips 642 and voila, it worked normally. Now if any of you can speak straight from experience as I have had.....maybe you might have some credibility. I don't know about your experience with RE2....or all some of you just speculating? Somehow I had the same identical problems monstercaper had. Now tell me something Stupid?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1) I don't know how many times you're going to be told this before it registers, but here it goes: PowerDVD does not rip. You also do not appear to be cosignant of what AutoPlay means.

2) "I eventually tried several DVD burners and came up with identical troubles on playback" a) Consistency? Is it a ripping problem or a playback problem? Make up your mind. b) "Several DVD burners" means nothing. Model numbers/names...

This is proving an exercise in proving that the biggest fool is he who thinks he knows everything.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ripping is what his intentions were
    Wrong .... again.

I WATCH DVD's on my computer and have not had a problem until now...I tried to WATCH both "Resident Evil Apocalypse" and "I Robot" but none of my player programs (Power DVD & Windows Media Player 10) will recognize that there is a disc in the E: drive
    I *still* only see the word "watch" .... twice .... and I see two software DVD Players mentioned ...
    Can you show me where the word "rip" is, or where ripping software is mentioned ???

It's all there up above in black and white, and can be found in the DVD spec also.

On that note, I'm out.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  27. i even tried DVD shrink I read about to see if I could put them on my hard drive to watch them as a file but still no media is recognized from these 2 discs...all my other movies play fine...any ideas (per monstercapper) Just to watch.....
    Quote Quote  
  28. Special for you Jim :

Well it's not a Defective disc, Dirty Laser Lens or Defective dvd drive...like I had stated earlier all other DVD's will play...The discs will play in a PS2 and a DVD player (i tried both) but how can i get my computer to recognize the DVD's so I can make a backup copy of the disc? (I have a backup copy of all of my purchased DVD's)...and I do alot of traveling so I want to be able to put them on my (lap top) hard drive...I have DVD shrink but it will not work because it cannot see the DVD in the drive.

Per monstercapper
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Special for you Jim

desperate much ?
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And now, friends and neighbours, has arrived the noob who thinks repeating the same info over and over will make it any more corrrect or helpful. *sigh*
    Quote Quote