VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was working on topologilinux earlier today and everything was fine. Topo is a special flavor of linux (based off of slackware) that runs off an image file on your ntsf partition, and boots into that file and runs like a regular slackware install. It has been working great for the couple of months that I have had it. I haven't made any big changes today or anything to it, I was just in windows, rebooted and it said that the root filesystem contained errors and needed to be scanned, so I let it do that. But then it had to reboot and it always had to scan the filesystem, I let it do this 3 or 4 times. Here is a screenshot:

I then tried this command which it recommended, my filesytem is ext2: e2rsck -v -y /dev/loop7, which did a bunch of scanning, which you can see here but ultimately didn't work either.

Why is it doing this? There is no reason for it as far as I can tell because I haven't made any changes today, just usually internet surfing and things. What can I do to correct this?
    Thanks alot!
    Garibaldi
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    is the the blueish/blackish screen of death? im sorry i had to :P
    PhenII 955@3.74 - GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3 - 2x4 Corsair Vengeance@1600 - Radeon 5770 - Corsair 550VX - OCZ Agility 3 90GB WD BLACK 1TB - LiteOn 24x - Win 8 Preview - Logi G110+G500
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You may have to reinstall.

I read that there is a linux virus on the loose.

Maybe you got ahold of it.

I am sorry but that is all I can think of.

If you did not change anything, then that would be the only logical explanation.
    Quote Quote  
  4. is the the blueish/blackish screen of death? im sorry i had to
    That's funny because I changed my linux screensaver today to a screensaver which displays the blue screens of death from other oses as the screensaver. Ironically that is now happening to me!
    Any ideas of what this is?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't think it will hurt it, I'd recommend booting back into Window$ and running a check on the drive, there may be some errors that Linux can't access.
    Nothing can stop me now, 'cause I don't care anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You may have to reinstall.

I read that there is a linux virus on the loose.

Maybe you got ahold of it.

I am sorry but that is all I can think of.

If you did not change anything, then that would be the only logical explanation.
    Are those some of the symtoms? I did make a backup of my image file a little while ago.. it doesn't have my updated nvidia graphics driver but other than that it is pretty much okay. If I decided to revert to that is there any way to prevent the virus from infecting that one?

Also is there a way to get rid of the virus? I can open the image file in windows so could I maybe change some things to fix it?
    Quote Quote  
  7. If you don't think it will hurt it, I'd recommend booting back into Window$ and running a check on the drive, there may be some errors that Linux can't access.
    How could I do that in windows? Its an image file (base.img). Is there a special app for scanning linux drives in windows?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Shouldn't need to do anything special. Just run a check on the drive the image is on. You can do this either through Disk Management or just right clicking on the drive and clicking Check Now on the Tools tab.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Shouldn't need to do anything special. Just run a check on the drive the image is on. You can do this either through Disk Management or just right clicking on the drive and clicking Check Now on the Tools tab.
    Hmm.. sorry I cannot find what your talking about. I tried right clicking but there is tools menu. I can't scan it in disk defragmenter either. Like I said its an image file in C:\tlinux5\ called base.img. Thanks for your patience.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know about your questions.

I am going to have to do some research.

In the meantime, I suggest you restore from the backup you did.

You can fight off viruses in linux using bitdefender.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Alright, I was able to open the file in e2fsexplorer in windows and it appeared to be fine. This is just so odd. I then rebooted and what do you know, it boots up fine! This is such a strange thing! I wonder why that happened. It looks like this was a false alarm.

BTW, I was thinking about that linux virus that bazooka was talking about. Is there some good antivirus and firewall software for linux? and do you have a link?
    Thanks once again for the help!
    Garibaldi
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Garibaldi
    Alright, I was able to open the file in e2fsexplorer in windows and it appeared to be fine. This is just so odd. I then rebooted and what do you know, it boots up fine! This is such a strange thing! I wonder why that happened. It looks like this was a false alarm.

BTW, I was thinking about that linux virus that bazooka was talking about. Is there some good antivirus and firewall software for linux? and do you have a link?
    Thanks once again for the help!
    Garibaldi
    You could try BitDefender for viruses.

www.bitdefender.com
    Quote Quote  
  13. I downloaded and installed Guard Dog, and it asks if I want to apply the settings, which may disrupt my current network configuration, I hope I can still access the internet after this.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Linux usually has it's own built in firewall.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Linux usually has it's own built in firewall.
    I'm running Slackware (I don't know if the configuration would be similar to Fedora Core or not). Do you know where that would be and how to activate it?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    In Fedora, it is in the start menu.

I believe it is in the system settings.

Look for security.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Garibaldi
    Shouldn't need to do anything special. Just run a check on the drive the image is on. You can do this either through Disk Management or just right clicking on the drive and clicking Check Now on the Tools tab.
    Hmm.. sorry I cannot find what your talking about. I tried right clicking but there is tools menu. I can't scan it in disk defragmenter either. Like I said its an image file in C:\tlinux5\ called base.img. Thanks for your patience.
    When you're in Window$ and you right click on the drive then click Properties, there's no Check Now option on the Tools tab?
    Quote Quote  
  18. When you're in Window$ and you right click on the drive then click Properties, there's no Check Now option on the Tools tab?
    I'm now having this boot problem now again! I see what your saying now though, scan my windows partition! I reached this same conclusion by looking at the error message because it said NTSF filesystem and /dev/loop7/, which is where I believe it mounts my windows fs. I'll try running a boot time scan disk and see if that helps!
    Quote Quote  
  19. I tried the full boot time scan disk, it went fine but the result is the same, what is this problem!??
    Quote Quote