VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am having problems with capturing thru my generic (I don't remember what brand, and there are no markings on the card) firewire card.

Windows see's the card in Hardware Manager, and it says everything is working properly, but when I connect a camera and power it up, nothing happens.

I am trying to capture in Vegas 5.0, and have tried two different Panasonic cameras. The cord I am using is brand new.

Any ideas?

The last time I captured using one of the cameras I used a Creative Audigy IEEE1394 input and it worked fine, but I no longer have that card, and have formatted my HD since then, thus losing any drivers that may have been there.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This topic is on DV file transfer and not capturing. Moving to DV forum ....
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm not familiar with Vegas but I have a Panasonic camcorder (PV-DV52) and a generic firewire card and experienced the same problem when I was using VirtualDub. Problem was solved by installing a Panasonic DV codec on my system, and being you mentioned this was both a new card and a re-formatted drive, this might do the trick for you.

You can download the free codec at http://www.freecodecs.net/Video_Codecs.htm - scroll down for the "Panasonic DV Codec" - and follow the install instructions.

Good luck, hope that works for ya!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You don't say what OS you are using or any computer info. Filling out your computer info helps immensely.

The Panasonic DV codec is for playback. Have you tried WinDV or DVIO? These are two transfer programs for DV to computer transfers. The DV drivers are part of the OS in XP.

With no other information given, I would just replace the Firewire card.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Make sure that the camera is in playback mode
    The distance between genius and insanity is measured only by success...
    Quote Quote  
  6. You don't say what OS you are using or any computer info. Filling out your computer info helps immensely.

The Panasonic DV codec is for playback.
    Yeah, no problems with XP and the Panasonic, and I know it's not *supposed* to need a codec for transferring ... but ...

I had a copy of Pinnacle Studio 8, on Win98SE, generic firewire card, and when I went to do a DV capture -- not a conversion, just a straight capture -- it wouldn't work, just give me a big fat error screen saying "No device found, check your cable, make sure your camera is turned on, blah blah blah."

Card showed up as good in the system, thought maybe I had to use a "genuine Pinnacle card" for things to work, but, just for the heck of it, I downloaded and installed the codec -- and voila, Pinnacle Studio 8 was happy.

I'm not saying this'll work for Vegas, and okay it might just have been a coincidence, but a free download of a small codec seems worth a shot, don't you think? He can always buy a new card if that fails.

And I know VirtualDub uses VFW so it can't capture DV natively (i.e. without a codec) so sorry for the misdirection on that one; again I have no experience with Vegas so this is just my experience as something to try.

Other thing to try --

* Turn PC off, plug in firewire cable, connect to camcorder, turn on camcorder (in playback mode), then turn on computer -- even now, there are times when my camcorder won't appear as a functioning device on my DV card unless it's turned on before I fire up the computer. Other times I just plug it in and no problems.

I know there are a lot of things that *shouldn't* affect other things on your PC, but my experience is, try everything, grasp at straws, sometimes you get lucky.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Sorry for the lack of PC info guys.

I'm running Windows XP SP2 on a Athlon XP1600, 1024MB memory, Radeon 9600XT with Video in and out.

Any time I go into capture, I get the video input for the Radeon, but no firewire option.

I downloaded the Panasonic Vid Codec and installed. Still no luck.

Downloaded VirtuaDub and had no luck with it either.

A new card isn't in the budget until after Christmas, so if you guys have any more ideas, the help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm running Windows XP SP2 on a Athlon XP1600, 1024MB memory, Radeon 9600XT with Video in and out.

Any time I go into capture, I get the video input for the Radeon, but no firewire option.
    Well ... crap.

Hmmm ... well, based on your OS, the native drivers should find that camcorder, assuming the card is good. One way to check that, see if the OS recognizes the camcorder even if Vegas doesn't --

Open "Control Panel" in Windows, then select "System,' then the tab for "Hardware" and the button "Device Manager."

In the "Device Manager" window, you should have a listing under "IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers" *and* beneath that, there should be an "Imaging Devices" button, which you can expand and there should be an entry for "AVC compliant DV camcorder." If you have a scanner, that should also show up in the "Imaging Devices" section, just for comparison.

So if you plug your camcorder into the card, turn the camcorder on, and Windows doesn't automatically pop an entry for a camcorder under the "Imaging Devices" tab -- then you've either got a bad cable or a bad firewire card. Or possibly a dead connection on your camcorder but let's hope that's not the case.

If "AVC compliant DV camcorder" *does* appear in the Device Manager list, then the card is good and you've got something wrong with your Vegas install. Which, if this is the (lucky) case, I'd go to their site and see if there are any updates available for the software, that might do the trick.

And have you tried WinDV or DVIO as suggested by redwudz? If your camcoder shows up in Device Manager, then definitely download either or both of those programs and see how they work.

Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you recently installed SP2? If so, was your camera detected before that?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Camcorder doesn't show up under imaging devices. I'm assuming it's the card, because I've had problems with it before, and the cable is brand new.

Tried 2 different cameras, so I'm ruling that out.

Yes, I did just install SP2, but I don't think I've ever gotten this card to work, although it has been a long time since the last time I tried.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try uninstalling SP2, via Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs. Reboot. Worked for me.
    Quote Quote