VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 63
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi Stevetx,

I recently discovered DVD Slideshow GUI while reviewing a list of posts in VideoHelp.com. I downloaded / installed version 0.66. The program is impressive. Following are my comments:

1. The function (button) to align text left/center/right described as 'combobox' in "Help" does not appear to be present in 0.66.
    This function has been removed thanks to the new subtitle way of showing/exporting descriptions. But I should remove the description of this function under help. Thanks.

2. It is easy to use alternate background jpg files.

3. The setup of individual slides for a slideshow is easy and fast (more so than prior used program).

4. Saving the Project works great and fully supports the potential need for change to the slideshow.
    Thanks.
    5. Preview sometimes is a problem. It apparently runs (the hourglass appears) but there is no display of a slideshow. After Preview apparently completes, DVD Slideshow GUI is locked up. CTRL-ALT-DEL was used to exit.
    Unfortunately Media Player Classic tends to "hang" in the memory and doesn't shut down properly, if more than 100 frames are used. I've been looking for alternative media players which are able to run these large avisynth scripts from a commandline, but I haven found anything yet. Let me know if anyone finds anything. The player can be changed under presets.
    6. Export to mpg runs faster than any prior used programs.

7. Export to mpg sometimes is a problem. After Export apparently completes, DVD Slideshow GUI is locked up. CTRL-ALT-DEL was used to exit. The mpg is okay.
    Same problem as above(The MPC thing). After rendering mpc is called to show the file.
    8. All created and saved slideshow mpg have played perfectly and look great regardless of normal end or lock up of DVD Slideshow GUI.

9. The quantity of slides used seems to affect performance and also lockup on occassion. An "exceptable quantity" will result from future uses. A lock up was experienced using about 100 slides. Making segmented slideshows (with a "resonable" quantity of slides) and then merging these mpg segments in VideoRedo works okay.

10. The only real problems are #5 and #7 above. When looking at Processes after doing CTRL-ALT-DEL, it looks like QuEnc.exe and/or mplayerc.exe were still open and using cpu. Thus, it is assumed they had not released control back to DVD Slideshow GUI placing it in somewhat of a wait mode. A restart "cleans the machine up," resulting in DVD Slideshow GUI working okay. However, when a lock up would return in somewhat of a random fashion (no specific thing seemed to cause the lock up), Restart was needed again to clear out the left open processes.

11. All in all, for a tool in development, DVD Slideshow GUI shows great promise - Looking forward to future releases.
    At the moment CTRL-ALT-DEL and removing mplayerc.exe after each run af mpc is the only solution, when working with large slideshows.

The other alternative is to use the 0.65 version, which has a completely different render code, using a lot of temp files.

Thanks for your notes and everything. Sorry about the MPC thing.

Have fun,
    Tin2tin
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had not thought about changing the player. So, your comment about doing so in Presets made me take a look. The first player I tried was the NeroMediaPlayer. It worked; however, it does not close automatically. NeroMediaPlayer is on screen so I closed in manually. Everything was fine with DVD Slideshow GUI - that is no lock up so far.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much for this excellent freeware. I am really impressed and enjoy using it.

I still don't manage two things, which I would like to seek advice for:

(i) Maximize photo in slideshow on screen (automatically). The photos do not use the full screen, but a frame appears around the photo, which is not wanted.

(ii) The aspect ratio does not appear locked. It appears that the aspect ratio of the photos changed after slideshow creation.
    Quote Quote  
  4. @ stevetx: I don't have the NeroMediaPlayer. It isn't freeware is it? But good to hear that it works for you. Does it even play when you preview slideshows in DSG?

@ dazipser: Under Presets type in '0' as 'save X' + 'save Y' values and click off the 'border' function. Now your image will be scaled down, so that it eighter meets the x or y edge of the frame. If your image doesn't fit the ratio, and your background is still visible, then you can use the animation/Pan-rotate-zoom tool. Zoom in and add a keyframe in the begining and end of the slide. (btw DSG's safe area function doesn't scale images up, only down)

Could you explain your (ii) remark a bit more detailed?

Have fun,
    Tin2tin
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are correct, the Nero Media Player is not free - it comes as part of the Nero retail package. I tried it for kicks just to see if it would work with DVD Slideshow GUI and it did - in the Export mode. For some unknown reason it does not work in the Preview mode and I am not going to pursue that.

Here is an interesting player to try - the DivX Player from divx.com works in both the Preview and the Export mode. The DivX Player is free and comes in the DivX package which contains both trial and free software (during installation of the package, you can select to install only the player if you do not need to mess with DivX stuff). In the past I have been able to play almost any video format with the DivX Player even though its real intent is the DivX format. It does not close automatically so manual close is necessary to get back to DVD Slideshow Gui control. After trying it several times, there was one occassion that it would not close via the "click X" but did close using the right click to get the pop up menu, then click Close, and then click End Now (shortcut Ctrl/Alt/Del). This has only happened once (so far) in the Preview mode. Export has always worked fine.

Hey, as I have said before, DVD Slideshow GUI is pretty neat. I am still trying to learn some of the mechanics and there is a lot there to learn. Thanks again for a great tool.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Theres a newer version of MPC here. I don't have time to test it though.

http://ffdshow.faireal.net/#mpc

Tin2tin

EDIT: Same thing
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded and installed the newer version of Media Player Classic. I renamed the older version before install of newer version. It still carries the same version number (6.4.9.0) as that downloaded with DSG. However, the new version size is 3.93 MB whereas the size of the older version is 5.42 MB.

The lockup behavior is still present with this new version. The work around with Ctrl/Alt/Del to close the process works okay and DSG is back in control.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did a few tests today during which I alternated between the DivX Player (DXP) and the new version of Media Player Classic (MPC). I got a lock up with DXP in the Preview Mode which had never happened previously. As noted in my previous post, I had gotten a lock up with the new MPC also. With Ctrl/Alt/Del, I observed that DXP was still present and using CPU even though I had closed it - this is just like MPC's behavior when DSG locks up. After ending the process, DSG was back in control and all worked fine.

This suggests to me that the problem might be somewhere other than the player; however, I know nothing about programming or how these things work and maybe the mechanism that is the trouble is the same within MPC and DXP. Its just odd that I can close the program (MPC or DXP) and when the lockup occurs, it still appears in process and DSG thinks it is not yet back in control.

Bottom Line - DSG is working fine for me and it is a great tool. I am not concerned about this lock up problem as it does have a workaround which doesn't stop my use of DSG.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much for the quick reply. My problem is that the aspect ratio of the photo changes when creating the slideshow. I tried the resolution of 3008*2256 pixel as well as 3008*2000 (which is the initial size which came from the photographer).

Thank you very much in advance for any help.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Amazing program!

Is there any way I can see the avisynth script that DVD slideshow generates?

I'd like to be able to customize the avisynth script that DVD slideshow creates. (For example I want to output to 352x240 mjpeg with Virtualdub.)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Never mind. I didn't notice the save as .avs.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Very nice program!

I like specially the "save as .avs" option, it allows me to feed the slideshow right into ffmpeg (the last versions support AVS input), and convert it to DVD output.
    Quote Quote  
  13. The new version can render flash(flv) ready to add to your blog or homepage!

Version 0.68

Changelog:

- Flash(.flv) NTSC & 16:9 ratio prefix added.
    - Animation access bug fixed.
    - Presets redraw.
    - Upscale avi when exporting.

- Export as .flv added.
    - Copy/paste flv code into your html page/blog.
    - Bugfixes.
    - Smaller avs files.
    - Memory leak fixed.

@ wzrlpy
    Thanks! Btw. DVDsGUI can render to dvd file formats either as .iso(burn as image) or DVD folders(burn as DVD data disc). Both DVD disks will play in your DVD standalone player.

Have fun,
    Tin2tin
    Quote Quote  
  14. I think I might have found (and taken the avisynth-function out) that caused Media Player Classic to keep running in the background after it was closed.

I've re-uploaded the whole thing with this little fix in under the same name.

(Be aware that working with very large slideshows it is advised to higher your virtual memory. For me previewing a 50 minutes long slideshow eats up 2 GB of (virtual) memory.)

Have fun,
    Tin2tin
    Quote Quote  
  15. Update:

- New buttons.
    - NTSC avi-sound fix
    - NTSC/PAL avi framerate check.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Made a new tutorial:

How to make a slide show with DVD slideshow GUI and burn a DVD-disc ready to play in a standalone DVD player with Img Burn.

(Actually I fixed som more bugs concerning the animation tool, and uploaded under the same filename)

Have fun,
    Tin2tin
    Quote Quote  
  17. Wow this thing has been a lot of work.

tin2tin, thanks for your work.

Was using .68 this evening(don't know why) and have started the .69 download.

Those scripts are massive. I think I'll use them to debug avsFilmCutter's lexer.

found a couple of creepy crawlies in .068 if they are still in .069 I'll let you know.

Thanks again,
    I like alot.
    Rob
    Quote Quote  
  18. Thanks man! I would like to hear about what you find.

I've uploaded a new version:

- Faster importer
    - Lager images in list
    - Avs slimmed
    - Faster preset redraw.
    - Animation tool bugs fixed.

AvsFilmCutter is a great tool - thank you too!

Let me know if you find som ways to lower the memory use in the avisynth script.

Have fun,
    Tin2tin
    Quote Quote  
  19. Testing version .70.
    These items seem to have multiple legs.
    • When exporting a script, “.avs”, if the file already exists, the file is not written.
    • Many lines in your scripts only use “0x0A” as a line terminator. Text editors like avsFilmCutter’s and Notepad++ do not seem to mind. Even WordPad from windows does the job of reading them, Windows Notepad shows a little box and if you turn off word wrap, the lines are a little long. Notepad, Notepad++, WordPad and editors like the one in FilmCutter insert two characters at line end (when the user presses enter) hex “0x0D” and “0x0A”. The line “Hello” should look like below.
      Code:
      48 65 6C 6C 6F 0D 0A
    • I can not add new slides to an existing project.
      Throws an error titled “Internal error”
      “Memory error (SIGSEGV) add() in file “DVD slideshow path”, line 1237: > wg_imagelist.Add(bmp[i])"
    I am not a script guru, just begining to understand what you are doing. If I see something I will share.

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  20. @ebobtron

When exporting a script, “.avs”, if the file already exists, the file is not written.
    Thanks, I'll check it out.
    Many lines in your scripts only use “0x0A” as a line terminator. Text editors like avsFilmCutter’s and Notepad++ do not seem to mind. Even WordPad from windows does the job of reading them, Windows Notepad shows a little box and if you turn off word wrap, the lines are a little long. Notepad, Notepad++, WordPad and editors like the one in FilmCutter insert two characters at line end (when the user presses enter) hex “0x0D” and “0x0A”. The line “Hello” should look like below.
    I'm using "\n" added to the string normally it will just result in a new line. I don't know what to do about this.
    I can not add new slides to an existing project.
    Throws an error titled “Internal error”
    “Memory error (SIGSEGV) add() in file “DVD slideshow path”, line 1237: > wg_imagelist.Add(bmp[i])"
    I saw this one some hours ago. I've fixed it and uploaded under the same name, so the 0.70 is fixed now.

Thanks alot for testing it!

Have fun,
    Tin2tin
    Quote Quote  
  21. @tin2tin
    I do not want to swear, ah, “hell”, I love to swear.

Try “blah blah string \r\n”
    Quote Quote  
  22. lol.

I'll give it a try.

Tin2tin
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by tin2tin
    lol.
    I'll give it a try.
    Tin2tin
    The adding slides thingy works how, great. Thanks.

Some more before bedtime.
      I do not understand the first 36 lines of your script, nor the part that ends with
      "imgout = imgout.converttoyv12()", "imgout" never gets used again.

Then you load some plug ins and do it all over again.

Some kind of alternative minimum script ??
    • 2. Not a bug, just a pain in the a**.
      When completing work on a selected slide a page or so down the whole d*** thing redraws and we are back at the beginning. The slide last selected is still highlighted just three pages down, or where ever it is. Becomes a lot of work to tweak the numbers.
    • 3. I am tried, so this is a whine.
      Love your little installer, but 13 Meg, gee whiz.. Wish avsFilmCutter had an installer (I am lying).
      With your numerous updates, well downloading AviSynth again. (I still have a dialup connection)

Just off the top of my head.
    I would say tomorrow, but ’tis morrow already.

Later dude.
    Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I gave v0.70 a try. The interface is very good. After importing 70 pictures and modifying animation to several pictures, the app generated an access violation when scrolling in the client area. After restarting and importing 10 pictures and modifying animation, the preview is not accurate. Four second show time requests play for nine or more seconds. Please get the timings right.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Thanks guys for finding those bugs and such.

1. Sometime ago DVDsGUI saved resized images as temp files and two scripts was used. Now everything is done in one go. But I haven't cleaned up the code of the two different scripts. Well until today - that is. Imgout is the variable where all the images are stored before making transitions and animations.

2. I've fixed that...

3. ...in this(0.70b) test version which must be placed in the DVDsGUI folder and run from there. (no installer and 1.3 MB )
    And replacing the vsfilter.dll in the bin folder with this, should make Media Player Classic shut down properly.

4. I need a little more explanation to finde that access violation error... was it written in the player this error?

5. The preview is not and will not be in sync as stated in the help-files.

6. The DVDsGUI timing is sligthly off - but not as much as you write - the duration in Media Player Classic is the one to believe.

Please report back if MPC still hangs after replacing the vsfilter file.

Thanks.

Have fun,
    Tin2tin
    Quote Quote  
  26. New version 0.71

- Export .all (m2v, ac3, ssa, txt in one go) added.
    - Fps check when importing avi
    - Import avi length
    - Ensure selected is visible(after slide settings)
    - New vsfilter(fixes MPC hang)
    - Animation space for border
    - Version check when loading
    - Export cleanup
    - Avs save bug.

Get the whole pagage at the homepage here or just the gui only.

Have fun,
    Tin2tin
    Quote Quote  
  27. @tin2tin

Thanks for the separate GUI release, makes the check out faster. Throws an error on start with the prior “new.ini”, presets are rather screwed too (delete “new.ini” from folder if using just the GUI, DVD Slideshow will remake it).

I confirm that the AVS export bug is gone, thank you.

Question, does the \r\n thing work or should I keep looking for a solution?

Sorry I have gone a little quiet, I am in the middle of a major DVD production; thanks to you, I know how to do it.

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  28. Hi Ebobtron,

Thanks for checking the new release. Yes, you're right the “new.ini” has changed a bit in this version. This problem is not in the installed version. Your way to solve it is the way to do it.

I confirm that the AVS export bug is gone, thank you.
    Great thanks!

Question, does the \r\n thing work or should I keep looking for a solution?
    I haven't looked into that yet - sorry. \r is surported in wxbasic - so I can give it a try.

Sorry I have gone a little quiet, I am in the middle of a major DVD production; thanks to you, I know how to do it.
    Great. You should be aware that this update is not able to load old dsg files. (That's why you got problems with the new.ini).

Have fun,
    Tin2tin
    Quote Quote  
  29. Oh, I somehow managed to break the import af avi files in the previous version.

I think, I've fixed now and tried to make proper line breaks, when exporting avs files(for Ebobtron ).

The pagage on the homepage is updated with the two things: here.

Or just overwrite the DVDslideshowGUI.exe file with this gui-only file: here.

Have fun,
    Tin2tin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @tin2tin

Is there a way to import pictures with transparencies into DVD slideshow GUI? I tried to use PNG files with transparent edges but the edges appear white.

The pictures that I am using for my slideshow has rough edges. I do not want to crop off the edges.
    AV1611TRIEDTRUE
    Quote Quote