VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    In my quest for perfection, I have tried the 6 following sprays:

1- Krylon Preserve-it (gloss)
    2- Krylon Triple thick clear glaze (extreme gloss)
    3- Krylon crystal clear gloss (1301)
    4- Krylon satin finish (1313)
    5- Patricia Nimocks Clear acrylic sealer gloss
    6- Patricia Nimocks Clear acrylic sealer mat

I have printed 7 disks. Same image. (I wanted one unprinted, to compare)
    I have put one light coat, waited 1/2h and added another light coat.
    Let them dried for the night.

The winners? Without a doubt, both Pat Nimocks rocks

Serious, I was about to stop using spray, because I was not satisfied with Krylon's product. All Krylon shows texture. It's ok, but not enough IMO. You can always see that a dude has put spray. Like I say, it's ok, but not professional. I was particulary disapointed with the satin: the surface, although not too glossy, is a total mess.

Both Nimocks impressed me enough to post here today. I seriously recommend that you give it a try! This stuff rocks. (found it at Walmart)
    The gloss one has no bump, not too glossy, but enough. IMO, a pro look
    Quote Quote  
  2. I've heard good things about the Nimocks too, but I can't find it around here. I've been using Crystal Clear gloss and its looks just fine to me. If put on too heavy though I know what you mean about the orange peel like texture. And yes the satin is nasty looking.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the hard R&D Rick..!

I too have been using Krylon products, in particular the 1305 U.V. Protectant, and found the pebbled-finish less than perfect. The real deal-breaker for me is the fumes. I tried the "Low Odor Gloss" finish from Krylon and while considerably less toxic, it will make the ink run underneath it if you're too heavy on the coats...

I'm off to Walmart to try a can (hopefully they have) of the P.N. Gloss; I don't imagine it could stink worse than the Krylon fast-dry products...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Umbearto,

I did not test the odor level. I cannot say if the "Pat" sprays are better or worse. I've used many sprays in this test,... odors got mixed. You know..

I took photos. (I do not have a scanner)
    I will upload them if they are usefull. The flash was on and I have the feeling it's not the best picture. Anyway, I will certainly post some pictures by the end of this week.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Anybody in Oz know where the Patricia Nimock sprays can be bought?

Or any other good sprays for that matter?

@ RickTheRed - Excellent research, much appreciated.
    Just gotta find the stuff now...
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There is only one thing left to say:

Let Us Spray
    Quote Quote  
  7. don't forget proper safety precautions

wear a mask and spray in a properly ventilated area

i'll have to check out this spray - not necessarily for dvds but for other applications as well

thanks for the tip
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not to mention making sure that the spray doesn't end up on the underside of the disc...

Prevention methods I've read include laying numerous discs on an unwanted towel (let it dry before putting more on!), putting a disc into a jewel CD case lined with tissue paper etc.

P.S. @ freestyler - Please tell me that your avatar is a true likeness... (As opposed to the hotdog you usde to have!).
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by daamon

@ RickTheRed - Excellent research, much appreciated.
    Just gotta find the stuff now...

Found a lot of online places at Google. Here's an example.....
    Hofcraft.com has it for $4.06
    Quote Quote  
  10. hi,
    i'm quite satisfed with krylon spray but ill try this Pat Nimocs, nice job

for underspray problem, used cd/dvd spindles is the one I use ,it protects the underside the outer and inner edge of the dvd/cd, just cut the spindle stem leaving about an inch so not to get in the way when spraying, works for me.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I too have tried many, many different brands of glossy coat and NONE have been satisfactory. I will try this one just to see how much trouble it is to get a glossy finish.

The only product that I've been satisfied with is the Plasti-Dip clear. It's a multi-purpose rubber coating for waterproofing paper maps, etc. and it also has a non slip surface. It's made by Performix (plastidip.com) and does a great job of putting a non-slip, rubber coating on the labels without any runs, drips, etc. One coat is all that's needed and it dries in about 10 minutes at most without lifting the paper labels. When you want good protection but don't want to have to setup some elaborate spray booth to spray three or four coats of clear, you might want to try this out. Personally, I prefer the look of this coating to the glossy and it's quick, easy and fool proof.

The way I've found to coat my discs without getting any on the burned side is simple and easy. I've coated over 270 so far and have never had a problem.

I us a 25 disc cake box, put a rubber band around the shaft about 1/2 of an inch from the end of the spindle. I then place a coaster-disc on the shaft, resting on the rubber band to hold it up. I then place the disc I want to coat on top of the coaster and place the cake box on a table or ground. Spraying straight down with the Plasti-dip, (it only takes a small amount of this stuff and only one coat is necessary), it has never failed me. Keeping it up at the end of the shaft with the coaster as a shield, there has never been any blow-back on the burned side of the disk. I can take the coated disk off immediately or just cover it with the cakebox lid to protect it until I'm ready to use it. Every other method I've tried would either be too involved or get some coating on the disc and ruin it. So far, so good with what I've been using and doing.

Something new to try....
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When the manufacturers put the dye on the blanks they put a small amount on and then spin the disk. It leaves a smooth, even coating. Well, at least it works for Taiyo Yuden!

I don't know if you could do that with clear sealer at home. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to set something up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Goober57
    Thanks for that.

What keywords did you use? I too tried Google and obviously didn't use the right ones...

Carpe diem.

Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by daamon
    Originally Posted by Goober57
    Thanks for that.

What keywords did you use? I too tried Google and obviously didn't use the right ones...
    I typed Patricia Nimocks sealer, but only after I saw Rick's post. I wasn't searching for other brands.

I have used Zinsser sealers for posters but I'm not sure they would work on your discs.

I don't spray my discs because I've had some problems with unbalanced discs that wouldn't play properly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Cheers Goober57 - much appreciated.

Carpe diem.

Quote Quote  
  16. I looked through the box of 18 different products I've tried and the Patricia Nimocs was one of them. Can't remember what the results of the test were but evidently it wasn't what I felt looked good and was easy to use. Hope the rest of you have better luck.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The nimocs does not create the orange peel surface look. That's why I like it. The finish is very good. Even surface. I was never able to get a smooth even surface with Krylon. And I am telling you, I was spraying very little from 12-14".

For me, I am now satisfied enough with the Pat spray to say that my quest is over.

@Captain:
    Maybe I will find your Plasti-Dip in two months and come back on this forum to say that the plasti-dip rocks :P I dono.

I will try something to take photos this week end. The ones I`ve shooted are not good,: I must take photos without the flash.

don't forget proper safety precautions

wear a mask and spray in a properly ventilated area
    I do not wear a mask because I do not spray 100 discs a day. However, the regular masks are only good for dust. If you really want not to breath the vapor, then you must buy a $$$$ mask.

So I spray, I open the window and I leave the room with the door close and I'm a happy sprayer :P .
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by daamon

I found the Krylon ones at Spotlight after searching many craft stores, & department stores etc. They have a few other brands there too but I didn't take notice of the names.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks skeg64.

Originally Posted by RickTheRed
    So I spray, I open the window and I leave the room with the door close and I'm a happy sprayer :P .
    Of course you do - you're as high as a kite from the fumes!!!

Carpe diem.

Quote Quote  
  20. You might not like it Rick as most everyone would prefer to have a high gloss finish. However, if you don't mind a good looking matte finish, it will certainly make life easier.
    The reason I didn't stay with PN was probably because I'm spoiled just having to make a quick shot and I'm done.
    Glad you're happy with the spay. I'll have to give it another try.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Captain315
    You might not like it Rick as most everyone would prefer to have a high gloss finish. However, if you don't mind a good looking matte finish, it will certainly make life easier.
    There was one PN matte in this "not official" test.
    Result was very good. Really.

I will definitively use both, depending on the project.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thumbs Up on the P.Nimock Gloss Spray..!

I picked up a can at the local Wallyworld $5.99CND and tried it this afternoon. It's very easy to get a nice, clean, smooth finish with 2 light coats as Rick suggested.

It's pricey for the little 170gm can, but seems to take very little material to get the job done.

Highly recommended, when only the best finish will do...
    Quote Quote  
  23. Why are you guys bothering with this anyway? I have many many many printed discs and never a problem.. what are you guys using these for drink coasters too?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Short run commercial projects mostly chunkT. I have no control over how the discs will be handled once they leave, so I go the extra mile to present the best looking, durable product I can.

Coated discs shed dust and fingerprints, deepen colors and increase contrast. Does everyone need to do this, no.... But when image is everything....yadda
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by Umbearto
    Short run commercial projects mostly chunkT. I have no control over how the discs will be handled once they leave, so I go the extra mile to present the best looking, durable product I can.

Coated discs shed dust and fingerprints, deepen colors and increase contrast. Does everyone need to do this, no.... But when image is everything....yadda
    Ahh gotya.. good call then!
    Quote Quote  
  26. I do it for my own personal use. I use the Pam Nimoks gloss sealer as well and it works wonderfully. One coat sprayed in short bursts from 14-18" above disk and it's good to go after 15-20 min dry time. I just take a brown paper grocery bag and rip it apart and use this to spray the disk. I have not had a problem with getting sealer on the underside of the disk at all. For me I like the look of the gloss better, and I know the disk will be preserved. I don't print a ton of cd/DVD's per day. usu 2-3/week so it's not a big deal to take 35 seconds and spray the disk after I print it. I found it at Wal-Mart in the craft section for like $5 a can. Well worth it. Beware it stinks to high heaven and will prob give you a good buzz if you don't have a window open. I usu go to my basement and open a window. Ohhh yeah and the chick behind the counter carded me before I could buy the stuff haha.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Better yet go http://www.folkartpaint.com/retailHome.asp and type your zip code in.. found like 10 places withing 5 miles that carry it when I went to Wallmart they had nadda.. I go get some tomorrow!

Good hunting.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Hey folks,

For those that spray I found a great way to spray and not get it on the read side of the disk. It's called Saran or Plastic Wrap. I lay a flat piece a little large than the disk out on newspaper. Then with slight pressure I press the disk onto the plastic wrap. Finally I spray away. It's worked like a charm so far.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Man you guys arent that coordinated if you cant even spray on the right side of the disk and are having to saran wrap your disks ahha... geeze.

I tired this out still gives the orange peel effect but doesnt seem as big effect as the krylon.. so..
    Quote Quote  
  30. Anyone try Rust-Oleum clear gloss?

I just picked up a can to see if it'll work.
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote