VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Can some members please post their experiences and opinions on some of the different macrovision removers.... are Sima's the best?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I found out by accident that the Dazzle Hollywood DV-Bridge strips out macrovision so you can record directly onto your desktop dvd recorder. You can pick one up for about $150... possibly cheaper on ebay.

The added bonus is that it converts any analog video and audio signal into DV format AVI to your computer via firewire cable.

You can actually use it in pass-through mode, feeding s-video into the unit and s-video out of the unit (mv free) to your recorder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use an ADVC-100 in the same manner. S-video in from VCR and s-video out to the DVR. Works great.

wwaag
    Quote Quote  
  4. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The best macrovision remover is a TBC. The other, cheaper alternatives are just filters and usually affect the video quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TBC are the best, but from a budget standpoint stabilizers & clarifiers are great!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Easiest solution is to simply copy them on a PC with dvdshrink or dvddecrypter. No need to do the dvd recorder route.

I do have, however, an Apex 1500 dvd player, which is macro free & my dvd recorder accepts that feed.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by telemike
    http://www.dimax.com.ua/English/dvd_recorder.htm
    I second this.
    That's my opinion, and if you don't like it, I'll change it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LiteOn 5001 price should drop below the prices of TBC & stabilizers, soon.

I used 5001 to copy my collection of MV'd tapes.
    Like how much sharpness do commercial VHS tapes have?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Easiest solution is to simply copy them on a PC with dvdshrink...
    Yes and copy all the bells, whistles and extra features along with the movie.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have the have the www.facetvideo.com box works fine only one thing it also rip's out the closed caption subtitles. You can hack some DVD players to turn off macrovision. I know alot of the cheeper DVD player you can do this with. My APEX DVD player I can flash the firmware to make it region free and turn of the macrovision.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Tvone AVT-8710 TBC in line between my JVC SVHS and my LiteOn 5005.
    Super Unit, works as advertised!

The Devil`s always.....in the Details!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Capmaster
    The best macrovision remover is a TBC. The other, cheaper alternatives are just filters and usually affect the video quality.
    8)
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    With the Video Filter http://home.cfl.rr.com/filter you can specify either "Copy Always" or "Copy Once" recording. This is the only unit in the market that generates CGMS code instead of simply removing it. If, for example, you have an HBO program which is encoded with "Copy Once" command, you can simply place the video filter in the path and set it to "Copy Always". In the future, if HBO or any other programming wants to prevent you from recording by setting "Copy Never" flag, you can change it with the video filter. You control the recording process, not the programming.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by handyguy
    Easiest solution is to simply copy them on a PC with dvdshrink or dvddecrypter. No need to do the dvd recorder route.

I do have, however, an Apex 1500 dvd player, which is macro free & my dvd recorder accepts that feed.
    Except when you need to copy from a VHS tape....
    Quote Quote  
  15. Ah for vhs, use something from:
    http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/aitrad.htm

They have stuff in their dvd section for $39.
    http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/DVD/decoder.htm

I ordered from them before, shipping was pretty reasonable & the package came on a sunday in California....
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by handyguy
    Ah for vhs, use something from:
    http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/aitrad.htm

They have stuff in their dvd section for $39.
    http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/DVD/decoder.htm

I ordered from them before, shipping was pretty reasonable & the package came on a sunday in California....
    $39 is a lot more like it! How well does it work from VHS to DVD? I have several movies that I want to back up that way. I tried the Sima one for $129 and it worked on all but 2 movies that had the "flashing" encoding and weren't very watchable....
    Quote Quote  
  17. I never tried it so I don't know how it works.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Depending on the shipping, it could be worth the gamble. Someone enterprising should order a few and sell them on eBay....
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by zleepy
    LiteOn 5001 price should drop below the prices of TBC & stabilizers, soon.

I used 5001 to copy my collection of MV'd tapes.
    Like how much sharpness do commercial VHS tapes have?
    I'm sorry for the newbie question, but will the LiteOn 5001 record MacroVision VHS tapes without the necessity of any kind of MacroVision remover? Will any of the other LiteOn models do this?

Also, the Red Pro linked to above looks very interesting. Does anyone have any experience with this?
    Quote Quote  
  20. I think you have to flash the LiteOn with hacked firmware to kill the Macrovision detection. Do a search for LiteOn firmware for more info....
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    macrovision remover -

_ttp://www.sonel.co*
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    vksjd2000

The 5001 is also sold as Daytek and Gateway.
    The later may now have an upgraded chipset and no longer hackable.

The hacked firmware and info is HERE:
    http://f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/smartblue@sbcglobal.net/rlst?.dir=/&.src=bc&.done=...c=bc%26.view=l

People are at work on the iLO DVDRHD04 (Hard Disk model) firmware.
    If you want a more versatile DVDR to dvdr TV shows as well as copy your mv'd VHS, this model looks good.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Video Filter
    With the Video Filter http://home.cfl.rr.com/filter you can specify either "Copy Always" or "Copy Once" recording. This is the only unit in the market that generates CGMS code instead of simply removing it. If, for example, you have an HBO program which is encoded with "Copy Once" command, you can simply place the video filter in the path and set it to "Copy Always". In the future, if HBO or any other programming wants to prevent you from recording by setting "Copy Never" flag, you can change it with the video filter. You control the recording process, not the programming.
    I am very confused on your statement of "specify either "Copy Always" or "Copy Once" recording". As far as I understand the VIDEO FILTER product it is ONLY a hardware function. Their web page does not reference any functions like you have described.

So tell me more, what am I missing? The product looks very interesting.

Thanks for your feedback
    Quote Quote  
  24. Zleepy, thanks for the info. and the links. Both the LiteOn and the ILO only record in mono, though, right? Are there any MV hackable recorders that record in stereo, or is better to get some kind of MV removal device?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Only its TV tuner is mono. The audio inputs are stereo and records in stereo.

So if you want to record TV in stereo, use the vcr fed into the AV inputs.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Thanks for the info., zleepy!
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    joepic,

The Video Filter comes standard as "Copy Always". Some units, like the Panasonics, may only respond to "Copy Once" commands. depending on the type of media being used. In any case, you can order either one. If you have a brand other than Panasonic, I recommend using the Copy Always version. The filter actually generates the CGMS code, independent of what the source video signal has. This way, you have control over what type of code to send to the recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  28. "Someone enterprising should order a few and sell them on eBay...."

I saw them there before. I don't know if Ebay lets you do it anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Someone I know sold some hacked Apex DVD players a while back, but then he got a notice that Macrovision had complained and he had to stop. However, that same day he's sold the last one, so it didn't matter.

As far as this thing goes, however, if it's a "video stabilizer", rather than something to make illegal copies, which I know no one here would ever consider doing anyway, then it would seem to be completely legal to me. Besides, is it illegal to copy your own VHS tape to DVD if it's strictly for personal use?
    Quote Quote