VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    The only way I can think of is to first demux to elementary streams with TMPGEnc, and then use IFOEdit to make a titleset with the streams, and then trash all the little extra junk files that IFOEdit makes (because I don't need those), and voila, there is a VOB!

But, is there something out there that can directly convert from mpg to vob? This should be quick and easy, since it's basically just remuxing.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Those little files ifoedit makes aren't junk. They're there so the vob's can be burned to disc and played on a tabletop. Programs like SonicMyDVD and Nero Ultra can make vobs from an mpeg.
    Why would you want to make a vob anyway, if all you want to do is play them on a computer? Mpegs should play just fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ahhhh.....but I *don't* want to play them on my computer....and I *don't* want to author them as DVD (thus the little ifo and bup and menu vob files are useless to me),,,,,,,Ha Ha

No, I want to just burn them on DVD as is, and play them in my standalone DVD player using the file browser...but GUESS WHAT....my standalone will only play AC3 audio in an mpg if it has been packaged as a VOB...It doesn't even have to have the VOB extension (I can rename it back to mpg)...but there is something about the VOB packaging that makes it work!

So, how do you do this in Nero Ultra? (I don't have Sonic)

By the way dvdauthorgui can quickly make vobs, too, but again it requires elementary streams.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can't think of anything easy. You know, VOBs are made of mpeg2s and AC-3s arent't they? So, first of all you'll need an mpeg2 and an ac-3 file, I guess - to make your VOB file. I'd suggest you use DVD Architect to author a simple DVD with no menus at all; it'll be a single movie DVD, in thesis. Select prepare (not "prepare and burn"). At the end of the process you'll get your newly created folder with many splitted VOBs. Open DVD Decrypt and selecting IFO mode, try ripping VOBs with no 1GB limit. I haven't tried that yet, but I guess it works.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by LisaB
    The only way I can think of is to first demux to elementary streams with TMPGEnc, and then use IFOEdit to make a titleset with the streams, and then trash all the little extra junk files that IFOEdit makes (because I don't need those), and voila, there is a VOB!
    I think that's probably the easiest way to do it. Most authoring programs I've seen want to create the whole shebang - I can't think of any ordinary circumstances where you would only want to create VOBs separately, and so that's probably why no software can do it yet

Although for some reason, Rejig springs to mind .... but could be a wild goose chase...
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Jimmalenko is right. Even Sonic, Nero, or Toast 6 Titanium(which I use on a mac) will make ALL the files necessary for a tabletop dvd. The ifo's and bup's and menu(if you get that, too) doesn't take much room and 99% of people coding to dvd need those. As a Mac user, I run Virtual PC (Win98) to use ifoedit, because there is no comparable program in OS X for that purpose(except TFDVDEDIT, which costs $700!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I found my solution...and I was using it all along!

TMPGEnc DVD Author!

This is a great multi-title authoring app....multi-title is the key, because you want each mpg converted to it's own vob, something you won't get in most authoring programs.

All I have to do is create a new title for each of my mpg's, and I don't even have to demux the mpg's!

I've always used TDA to author my DVD's, I just never thought of it as a batch mpg to vob converter!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TGIF guys :P

Hmm..

I want to do something very similar to what you're doing. Play separate VOB
    files (burn them to DVD) ..if I have say, three VOB files, I want to burn them
    to a DVD disk and be able to play them.., much like the old'er days of playing
    MPEG-2 files burned to a CD-R ( he good old days hehe.. ) but now I want
    them on DVD's ..as VOBs.

* Can ifoEdit burn Titles too, like TMPG's DVD Author app can ??
    * If so, then how ??
    ... ie, if I have three VOB files. I don't want to MERGE them into one VOB file

Thanks,
    -vhelp
    Quote Quote  
  9. i've made a single vob file of a movie once using dvdlab pro. Which i then turned right around & compiled into a dvd. Well mu point is dvdlab pro can do all types of stuff with vob's mpeg's. Try that maybe that'll work for you also.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I was wondering why someone didn't mention TMPGenc Author 1.6. I find it to be a great app.
    Quote Quote