VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Where do you store the bulk of your non-system data?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I ended up declaring WAR (wipe and reinstall) on my system this week because of some social infection. It only took me about 10min to back up all that I really needed to save because I don't keep much of my data on my desktop PC. The bulk of my files are stored on a separate server on the LAN here at home. I'm interested to see how other people store there files. Obviously everyone keeps their OS on the main drive, but I'm talking about Docs, downloads, music etc.
    Nothing can stop me now, 'cause I don't care anymore.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Would you add to your poll, 2nd hard drive and 3rd hard drive? I store my music, software applications & mpeg files on a 2nd, 3rd hard drive & external hard drive. I'm paranoid so I store them all over the place. I really need to start backing up my mp3's on dvd media. I have over 1000 mp3 files! Plus I got a 10 gb hd full of mp3's as well, it's collecting dust in the antistatic bag. I'm not organized as you can see!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    most of mine is on removable media and some on the 2nd hdd.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Depends, music on main hd and disc. My Documents on main hd, 2nd hd and disc. I record all my captures to disc in addition to the final movie. I have one particular file that is on main hd, 2nd hd, encrypted into a password protected folder on one of my websites, and has a copy on two discs. One here next to me and another at a relatives house.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    poll options are stupid. it all depends what kind of files.
    If someone downloads dvd isos or mpeg-2 files obviously theres only 1 or 2 options (dvd-r or hdd), what gmail or any stupid hotmail has to do with online storage? And after all - they are HARD DRIVES, just remote hard drives. I see no difference between storing stuff on a "3rd hdd of my fourth home networked computer", or on a gmail - same thing, only different connection speed.

So yes, it is stupid poll, since obviously there are only TWO viable possibilities of storing files - hdd or dvd/cd media.
    And if youve bother to include hotmil (2MB online) or floppy (1.4MB) then why not i.e. celpphone? My Moto V300 has almost 7MB of available space, why not include it? Its more reliable than any floppy or hotmail :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wish there was a choice that included both main and secondary drives.

All my important files get copied from secondary partition off main drive to second hard as a backup (jpg's mpegs, etc)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No need to get bent out of shape about a poll. If you have more suggestions for viable options, I'll be glad to add them. As far as Hotmail goes, there are people who actually PAY for Hotmail and get 2GB of space, not just the 2MB you get with the free account. SBC also offers 2GB as well as several hundred MB of additional storage space for whatever files you choose. Who said anything about ISOs or MPEGs? Yes, I do understand that for anything over a few MB the only physical options are HD and CD/DVD (or flash drive). The point of the poll was more so the location that people choose to keep their data and finding out how much trouble it is for people to get back up and running if say Window$ was totally corrupt or their main HD died.
    Nothing can stop me now, 'cause I don't care anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    All my files are on my main 160GB drive, which is also my capture drive and my video editing drive (no speed issues whatsoever ).

However, I back up my home files onto DVD-ROM with periodic refreshing. My important files (images, spreadsheets, web site files, etc.) also get written to the laptop and the Libretto too, as well as a CD-RW mini-disc I always carry in my attache case. And the irreplaceable files (snapshot scans, images and mini-movies from vacations) are also stored at work in my file cabinet on CD and DVD-ROM ...in case of a fire at home.

My work files get stored on the main drive, and backed up to CD-RW. And they are written on a daily basis to network mirrored triple-redundant raided drives with a daily tape backup.
    Quote Quote  
  9. All movie back-up are on dvd-r and the latest one i have done i keep for a while on a seperate h/d. Windows on own 60 gig, also have music on sep 120 gig h/d, Programs on sep 120 gig h/d, pics on sep 120 gig h/d and them another 120 gig where i keep all programs etc i have downloaded in case of reinstall is ever needed.
    Not bothered by small problems...
    Spend a night alone with a mosquito
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    just had to do a disaster-recovery, and used it as a motivator to clean up all the crap on the machine (still working on it, but it's better than it was...)

so now, system is on main drive, main partition, and all data is on a secondary drive, main partition. and I'm going to start being vigilant about backing up disk images weekly. and flossing.
    - housepig
    ----------------
    Housepig Records
    out now:
    Various Artists "Six Doors"
    Unicorn "Playing With Light"
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Well, at home I have 1 old box dedicated as home server - meaning it keeps all the users files. Each computer makes its own daily backup to this home server. Every other backup is on overwrite, thus I always have last 2 backups (of data, not windows or programs) .

Again - Im sure no one use gmail, or pay-per-use version of hotmail etc etc distant network locations to backup their files, unless it is really backup of just an address book and nothing else
    Quote Quote  
  12. My system is a total mess. I haven't done a reinstall in 2 years. I have files spread all over the place. I just do backups of my whole system al the time.
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Always have at least 2 drives in your computer. With the 2nd being the larger of the 2 drives.

When I have new stuff its on a folder on my desktop until I go through it all and move it to the secondary drive.

In an emergency I can copy the contents of my C: to my D: format the primary drive reinstall and not miss a thing.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Back up C: drive every two weeks on DVD and slave hard drive. If I get a virus or screw something up I restore from the slave (faster). If both drives go out or get screwed up, I have the DVD backup. Through the years I have backups of different configurations on different OSs. For example, I was once really interested in using a computer to do music composition using Sonic Foundry Acid and other tools. Now I am into video, but when the itch to make music hits I restore the old music configuration on Windows 2000 Pro and play awhile.

As for stuff like spreadsheets (Excel) and Word Documents, the old fashioned floppy is just fine and accessable under any configuration.

I take lots of digital pictures and I store these on CDs. I don't store the pictures on the hard drive because they take up too much space. When I need them they are easy to access from CDs and CDs are cheap.
    If it works, don't fix it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I try to keep my 10k SATA boot drive free from any files that don't need that sort of access speed. I remapped "My Documents" to my secondary HDD, a 250GB IDE drive, to keep all that default clutter out of the way. Since the Raptor is only 74GB I try to leave only apps and other system data. If anything it makes for a pretty quick defrag when the time comes.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
  16. My work files get stored on the main drive, and backed up to CD-RW. And they are written on a daily basis to network mirrored triple-redundant raided drives with a daily tape backup.
    Cap it sounds like that's a pretty fool-proof backup system (triple-redundant!).

Personally I have to store my files on my only internal hd, I wish I could put them on an external hd for quick transport. I also do monthly dvd+r backups.
    Quote Quote