VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Im not sure where to post this but, I am capturing my camcorder through a ATI TV wonder and the audio through sounblaster. I can only campture the sudio of course as mono, but I would like to be able to convert to stereo. Currently I use Ulead to capture and nero to burn my dvds. But I would enjoy it better if I can have the sound in stereo, can anyone help?
    Quote Quote  
  2. strange
    natively, the sound is stereo on a camcorder.
    would you mean that have sound on only one channel when you listen to it ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by early5533
    Im not sure where to post this but, I am capturing my camcorder through a ATI TV wonder and the audio through sounblaster. I can only campture the sudio of course as mono, but I would like to be able to convert to stereo. Currently I use Ulead to capture and nero to burn my dvds. But I would enjoy it better if I can have the sound in stereo, can anyone help?
    I think what you need is a balance adjuster. It can be located near the volume knob
    Quote Quote  
  4. My camcorder has just one rca for video and one for audio, that is why I only get the mono. Whenever I play back the video file or play the disc it is jsut one channel.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Load the video into Gold Wave, save it as a stereo wave 48000 file.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by early5533
    My camcorder has just one rca for video and one for audio, that is why I only get the mono. Whenever I play back the video file or play the disc it is jsut one channel.
    Hello,

In the future you can use a rca splitter. It can turn the one signal into two (still mono of course). Then use an opposite combiner to return it to your capture card.

When I get home I could take a pic of the two cables I'm thinking of.

The other option would be to use an audio program like audacity or a more advanced pro program to clone the one signal (still not stereo but at least it would be in both speakers).

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Tommyknocker
    Wouldn't this just output the same sound from both channels?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jyn999
    Originally Posted by Tommyknocker
    Wouldn't this just output the same sound from both channels?
    Hello,

Yes, you can't really make stereo from one channel. It would be really cheesy even if you could. You just want to be able to hear it out of both channels so it's easier to listen to.

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  9. That has been part of the problem, you tend to have to jack up the volume to be able to hear it descently, thanks for such a fast response, I will try out a few of your suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The cables you're looking for are as follows:

1. Single rca jack to dual rca jack splitter.

2. Dual RCA jack to stereo mini plug combiner.

That's it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When I really need a stereo image from a mono source, I use SoundForge. In the Acoustical Mirror section, you can convolve your audio using an impulse reponse. If the impulse is in stereo, it will covert your audio to stereo. The trick is to pick which impulse to use because it will "color" your audio. Sony has on their website various impulse reposnses for different spaces, but I like to use "Forest 25ms". It tends to color the audio the least and will still provide a true stereo file.

A discussion of impulse responses is a topic for another thread though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Here are the pictures of the two types of adapters you need to capture the audio in both channels (even though it's mono).

This one you hook up to the audio output on the camera:

This one you use to hook up regular audio cables from the splitter to the input jack on your video card:

Kevin
    [/img]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    EDIT - Sorry clicked quote instead of edit. Mistake post.

Kevin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can you choose which channel from the camera is sent down the line ? (There was a balance adjuster mentioned earlier). If so, you could push this across tot he right, record as mono, push it across to the left, record as mono, then bring them together in your audio app. It takes twice as long (because you have to record twice), but you will get the original (or damn close to) stereo track back.

Having said that, while most cameras record a stereo signal, the mic is so close to the camera and so small that there is rarely any real seperation, especially if filming from a distance.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote