VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i need help i need to convert mkv files to avi and i was trying to follow baldrick`s steps, i donwload the 4 applications that baldrick said and when i try to install VirtualDubMod theres a error that says it doesn`t find the file CORONA.DLL what should i do
    Quote Quote  
  2. Excellent tutorial Baldrick, but I couldn't get alltoavi to convert - or virtualdubmod to open - or MKVExtractGUI to demux an mkv file. So i adapted a way i found somewhere else on the web for converting rmvb to avi. Having found the fps of the matroska file from mediainfo, i created a simple avisynth script in notepad:

#ASYNTHER MKV 23.976fps
    DirectShowSource("%f", fps=23.976, convertfps=true)

and saved it as mkv23.976.AVST in the virtualdubmod template file.

Then i opened the mkv file in VDM using the template i'd created now shown in the drop-down at the bottom of the open file dialogue box, and it worked fine. Actually, if you abort the conversion, VDM produces a .avs file that you can use to open the mkv in normal virtualdub. I'm sure that it's possible to just write this script in the first place, but as i really haven't a clue about avisynth, this way was best for me. Anyway you can use virtualdub to rencode video and audio as divX/mp3 if you want. I hope this helps someone - it would've saved me a great deal of time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zadesu

So i've made sure the subtitles, video and audio codecs are properly installed.
    I then opened the file in VirtualdubMOD and began following the instructions in the first
    post of this thread.
    But when i came to this step,
    "Click Save WAV to convert it to mp3, ignore that it says WAV, save it as track2.mp3 "
    i got this error message instead:
    "No audio decompressor could be found to decompress the source audio format."
    I noticed that in the Stream List, the audio track is listed with "unknown wave format".
    If the codec for the audio was properly installed, why am i still not able to decompress it?

I'm very confused now... Can someone help pls?
    I get this exact same problem. I even tried to onvert the AAC with superAVconverter and it still wouldn't work.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK i've use the MKVextractgui thing to extract allt he files I need and i end up with the vid file as .h264 and I can't seem to do anything with it is there away I can use the file to make an avi? or is there no way to do that with h264?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    are there a guide how to use the MKVExtractGUI tools??
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Guide? Tick streams you want to extract and extract. No need for a guide.

As for .264 file to avi. No point really. For SAP compatiblity you would need to convert to XviD/DivX anyway so you may as well leave it as an mkv. If you really really want to do it though avc2avi can.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Could someone please tell me how to convert from this shitty MKV format? MKVExtract does NOT work. I am completely unable to extract the video from the MVK file.

Anyone who encodes into MKV should be SHOT!
    Quote Quote  
  8. I posted a method 5 posts back - have you tried it?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any tips for dealing with a Variable Framerate video? As stated before, the audio and video will be different lenghts if the video was Variable Framerate. Are there any hints, steps, guides, tricks, anything please, on converting Variable Framerate .mkv to constant framerate .avi and have the video/audio synch match up?

*edit* I changed the framerate in Vdubmod to match the audio. That put the video at 24.5 fps. Now the question is will 24.5 fps work for divx in a standalone dvd player? I know divx at 29.97 plays fine.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Bully9
    I posted a method 5 posts back - have you tried it?
    I get an AVI Filter error when I load using the script. It does create a small AVS file, but I get the filter error when I try to open that.

Down with MKV.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nothing wrong with mkv. It is just when people try and move from mkv to a less advanced container like avi. AVISynth3 should handle mkv's better via gstreamer anyway.

Setting the framerate to an average to match the audio will probably not result in constant audio sync.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So the steps that were stated in the first step work almost 100% of the time for ogg files. The mkvs, in my case at least, are more troublesome. I can successfully extract the srt and aac files using mkvextract, but the video will not extract. when it does extract, it is put in an avc format or an h264. alltoavi presents the same problem, however it gives me an mp3 and srt along with the h264 file. how can one convert this h264 or avc file to a useable avi format that can have the mp3 and srt files added into it using virtual dub?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mkvextract simply extracts. So if the mkv contains AVC, then you get AVC out. Only thing is that it extracts it raw rather than as an mp4.

For converting a nativce AVC mkv to an avi for a SAP I would suggest converting the mkv rather than demuxing the video.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by celtic_druid
    Setting the framerate to an average to match the audio will probably not result in constant audio sync.
    No it didn't match right on all the way through the vid but the subtitles did because they are displayed for a few seconds anyway, so there was some give and take for the subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much, Baldrick, for this tutorial. It perfectly works for me. Thanx!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is a nice software. you just drop an OGM or MKV in it and presto you have a nice AVI on the other end. It also can deal with those annoying AAC audio you sometimes get in MKVs. And it supports h264

http://alltoavi.sourceforge.net/
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by azumi_yo
    This is a nice software. you just drop an OGM or MKV in it and presto you have a nice AVI on the other end. It also can deal with those annoying AAC audio you sometimes get in MKVs. And it supports h264

http://alltoavi.sourceforge.net/
    This is a very handy piece of software, it works quite well for the most part, but there are still some bugs in its ability to deal with h264 video and aac audio. If you use it for an mkv that has either of these, make sure you play it back before you burn it, it more often than not turns out with corrupted subs and no audio. If you do encounter this problem, I suggest that you use mencoder directly on the mkv and then add subs using virtualdub.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Does anyone know of a tool for extracting vobsub formatted (.sub) subs from an mkv? mkvextract just says its an unsupported format and skips it. Virtualdubmod gives me the same error if I try to use that to extract the sub stream. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You must be running an old build of mkvtoolnix.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The guide is really great and I like it.
    But it did not show how to add sub-titles.
    And I tried to use the same last guide to add sub-title of my .mkv file, but the result shows that no subtitle is added.

I've also use vobsub (drag & drop), but it says, "Couldn't load C:\XXXXXX\XXX\XXXXXXXXXX\XX\video.srt."

Is there any other way to add sub-titles?
    Cuz I need to convert the .avi to .mp4.

Thx
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the avi is MPEG-4 or AVC (need to be demuxed to raw first) then you can remux together with the srt using mp4box/yamb.

No good if you want/need hard encoded subs. In which case you could use AVISynth with textsub().
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Erm... my apologies if I'm not clear.

My objective is to get the .mkv file converted into PSP .mp4 w/ sub-tile (The Subtitle compress with the video.)

First by converting .mkv (with the sub) compressed to .avi, then using PSP video 9 to convert to .mp4

I'd used virtualdubmod 1.5.10.2 and followed out the guide:
    Video.avi
    Sound.wav
    Script.srt

I'd first joined the Video, Sound & Script together with virtualdubmod. The result is there is Video & Sound, but no Script.

The I tried joining them together 1 by 1: (Video + Sound) then added the Script. Still, the same result: Video+Sound, No script.

I'd used Vobsub as recommanded, using Submux then mux the (Video+Sound) with the Script.

It sound a msg saying. ""Couldn't load C:\XXXXXX\video.srt."

That's what I'm trying to say.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PSP video 9 uses ffmpeg right? ffmpeg supports mkv's directly. No subs though I guess.

Muxing the sub won't help. Submux is more likely to ruin the avi. If you want to mux subs to an avi, I would suggest AVI-Mux GUI. Won't help though as I said. Anything that can handle the subs mux, will handle them externally. Textsub for instance will require that they be external.

ffmpeg supports AVISynth input so you could frameserve. Something like
    video = avisource("demuxed.avi")
    audio = wavsource("demuxed.wav")
    audiodub(video,audio)
    textsub(demuxed.srt)

alternatively just:
    directshowsource("original.mkv",fps=?)
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, PSP video 9 can straight away convert .mkv to mp4 straight away, but it does not have the option to mux the subtitle in yet.

well, AVI-Mux didn't work. But what you mean by using Textsub 'externally'?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I mean that as per above; textsub requires an external subtitle. If you were to mux the sub into the avi, then it wouldn't be able to load it. AVI-Mux GUI does work though. Just that like I said, not much point. Only advantage is that you get a single avi rather than an avi, plus sub files.

Not a matter of muxing subs. If it was you could have gone with my original suggestion of using mp4box. But PSP's don't support MPEG-4 ttext subs.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well, let's get started: the mp4box.exe execute by itself.

Does it need other programs to run it?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Generally it is statically linked, so yes it executes by itself and it doesn't need anything else to run.

As I said though PSP's don't support ttext subtitles (at least not as far as I know). mp4box I believe also supports Nero style vobsubs, but then I really doubt that PSP's can handle those.

Muxed subs are only of use if the player can handle them. If not, then they get ignored and you may as well have a file without subs.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now I'm getting confused.

Cuz the mp4box.exe opens a DOS window then it disappear.

It does not start a installation

Should it be placed in Folders?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is a commandline app and there is no install. What you would want is yamb, which is a GUI for mp4box (that's why I originally said mp4box/yamb).
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Got it, so I'll put the mp4box.exe file into yamb.

I've mux the (video+sound already together) with the subtitle file.
    I've double click the mp4 file to play using QuickTime, and it display an error msg: 'Error 2010 : the movie contains some invalid data'

something is went wrong

Sorry to trouble again.
    Quote Quote