VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Follow a guide that doesn't use VDubMod. mkv might be similar to avi in the fact that it is a container format. It is however much more powerfull so you can't simply remux everything that is in mkv to avi.

Check out mkvextract for extracting streams. If the video is avi compatible, it will give you an avi. If it is VFR though, it won't be the length as the audio.

ogm to avi is much easier. ogm doesn't support VFR and the video is always compatible with avi.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm also having a perplexing problem. Up until September of this last year, I was originally able to use VirtualDub, Lame MP3, and the Ogg tools as instructed by the OGM to AVI guide to convert my OGM files to AVI. I remember succeeding because I have a number of converted OGM files. All of a sudden, however, VirtualDub now refuses to recognize the OGMs at all. I constantly get an error/warning message after trying to open both the OGM video file and even when I've tried using OGM Demuxer to turn the OGM video into an AVI. VirtualDub will still not open the file correctly in either case. The error message reads: "Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'XVID' (unknown). VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. Direct Show codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable. Only 'Direct stream copy' is available for this video." What exactly does this mean? I vaguely remember having to download a 4th tool to get it to work, and I remember that it was NOT the matroska package but I can't remember what it was. I have received the MKV outdated message when VirtualDub first starts up, but I wouldn't think that would effect OGM files.

Anyone know what might be wrong? VirtualDub's screen is supposed to turn black once it's opened the video file. That I do remember. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Would I be better off using OGM to AVI as well? Not sure.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Is there anyway you could give me a step by step of what to do cause I downloaded the MKVextractgui but it says its missing a mkvomerge.exe or a mkvextract.exe.
    How do I get it or what do I do Im totally clueless here please help me.

Originally Posted by celtic_druid
    Follow a guide that doesn't use VDubMod. mkv might be similar to avi in the fact that it is a container format. It is however much more powerfull so you can't simply remux everything that is in mkv to avi.

Check out mkvextract for extracting streams. If the video is avi compatible, it will give you an avi. If it is VFR though, it won't be the length as the audio.

ogm to avi is much easier. ogm doesn't support VFR and the video is always compatible with avi.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Oh by the way its a show that I cant seem to find in english except for the one file i have.
    If I can find a different anime than I wont even bother but I have re- coded all the other ones except for this one file and thats why I want to know how to fix it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    god a day's wait to post is excrutiating when you'd love an answer.

anyhoo, i managed to follow the intructions for converting my mkv file to mpeg then i can convert to divx and burn, but it only let me do it the one time and then wehn i was doing the first couple of steps the second time it said my demo had expired but it wouldn't say the demo of what ?

i downloaded so many different things i'm not sure what's expired, and why would it expire after 1 day and 1 try at it.

weird !
    and help please !

thanks alot !

michael.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @NightwolfFUS, you need to install XviD.

@fruity kitten, MKVextractgui as the name implies is simply a GUI. It requires mkvtoolnix.

mkv->mpg->.divx? Makes little sense.
    Quote Quote  
  7. you would honestly be better off going like mkv>avi+audio tracks and subs>dvdr this way you can retain everything and still have the switchable subs...this way is also a bit more accurate to the original, most likely.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by celtic_druid
    @NightwolfFUS, you need to install XviD.
    Thanks, celtic_druid! That worked. I realized last night finally that it was Divx/Xvid that I was missing. The thing is, I remember older versions of the Divx codec allowing VirtualDub to open the OGM files, but this time, it didn't so downloading the Xvid worked just the same. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  9. @fruity kitten, MKVextractgui as the name implies is simply a GUI. It requires mkvtoolnix.

mkv->mpg->.divx? Makes little sense.
    I just wanted to say was thank you. I got it to work so I dont have problems anymore.
    It took me a bit to figure it out but non the less I got it and I am very grateful.
    So I thank you again celtic druid
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Guys, a new program just came out for batch converting OGM/MKV to AVI with subtitle and audio:

http://alltoavi.sourceforge.net/
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello ALL

THanks for this method .. and explaination

but i had some proplems ..
    1. after i choose "FULL PROCESSING" mode
    i choosed Commpression And Selected the same option that you've done
    but .. when i wanted to save it as a WAVE

THE message Appeared

hmm ...
    then i tried to save it as AVI directly .. but the message Appeared

PLZ help me quickly
    plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your audio is aac and I don't know of any working ACM aac decoder. Not a good idea really anyway.

Could be that you are just missing a decoder for the video, could be that it really isn't compatible with avi.

As I already said VirtualDubMod's mkv support is out of date. Fact is that VfW/ACM really aren't equiped to properly handle mkv's advanced features so VDubMod or any VDub based app will probably never handle mkv properly.

It was fine a couple of years ago, but basically I would forget about VDubMod for mkv's since most of the mkv's are probably now native AVC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeah well even my alltoavi(well its actually a mencoder shell) does not do H.261, well it does support it but my feedback of errors while converting a H261 or H.264 is like pretty much 80%

my advise is just watch it as it is and curse the ppl who released it with a strange format XD
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't call H.264/AVC a strange format.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ah well not really a strange format but its just MEncoder cant really convert it..
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the subtitles doesn't seem to work when I demux it.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I converted the mkv to avi but the video plays in different time of audio i hear the audio in wrong time what should i do, someone told me to check the interleaving but i dont know what to do ?

and how to know the different length between video and audio to know how long to correct ?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the mkv is VFR (Variable Frame Rate) then the audio and video aren't supposed to match when remuxed to avi. Since avi doesn't support VFR, the video length changes.
    Quote Quote  
  19. So what to do before it was coverting correct now the audio always delay about 7 seconds
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well if the source file is CFR, then there is no problem.
    Quote Quote  
  21. this guide worked great. i managed to separate everything and put it back together, but my audio is slightly off which makes watching it annoying. Any way to solve this problem or guides that tell me how?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there. I'm new with this video conversion thing... I followed your instructions (to convert mkv files to avi files with subs) but whenever I try to save the audio to mp3 format, I keep getting this message:

Error initializing audio stream decompression:
    The requested conversion is not possible.
    Check to make sure you have the required codec (Microsoft Audio Codec)

I've tried looking it up but I can't seem to find this codec. Please help.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Believe I already covered the above. You audio would be aac or something else that can't be decoded via ACM. Could also be wavepack, vorbis, etc. Mkv supports numerous audio formats.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    this guide is great and thanks heaps! but is there a way to convert a big bunch of ogm files to avi? cos with this guide, i can only convert one ogm file at a time, unless i'm missing something...
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use mencoder
    for %%f in (*.ogm) DO (mencoder.exe -ovc copy -oac mp3lame -aid # -noskip "%%f" -o "%%~nf.avi")

I'm sure there would be other guides though.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by celtic_druid
    Well there ya go. It does use aac, 6 ch he-aac in fact. I very much doubt that there is an ACM decompressor that can handle that.

Try decoding with mplayer or use mencoder to remux the video and re-encode the audio in one go.
    i have the same sound fomat detected! nevertheless, i got the acc converted to wav, then to mp3, but the result of putting the video n audio together,,,,,,,well the timing was off!

pls advice
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If your mkv is VFR (Variable FrameRate), then it will loose sync if you assume it is CFR and avi supports CFR only.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AAC anyone?
    I have some mkv files that have aac encoded audio. I installed an aac decompressor I got from freecodecs.com which allowed Goldwave to open and convert the demuxed aac files to mp3, all of which went without a hitch. The trouble is when I remux the re-encoded mp3 files to the extracted avi file you'd need a calendar to measure how outta sync the audio is from the video. Is this just a matter of trial and error with the skew tool? I hope not, a major pain. I should mention Vdubmod complains, when I open the mkv file, about possible vbr issues, but doesn't say whether it's the audio or the video.
    Thanks,
    >>>--Tiribulus->
    PS, I didn't see the post above before posting mine. It looks like I'm in the same boat as this guy except I went straight from aac to mp3.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I want to convert my ogm into an avi it won't work. It was doing fine up until a mouth ago. VirtualdubMod keeps crashing then gives an error that it was because of this xvid.dll thing. So I tried to reinstall everything even xvid but nothing works. It won't convert anything. I really need to get some files converted so I can have more hard drive space. HELP PLEASE!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone,
    Hope someone can help me with this.
    Been at it the whole day googling for solutions but couldn't find any.
    I'm not a techinical person so pardon my noobness.

I'm trying to convert a .mkv file to .avi, which i then wish to split up so i can upload to youtube in parts.
    When i run MatroskaDiag on the .mkv file, this is what i get:

Track 1 : Subtitles
    - Codec : SubStation Alpha (S_TEXT/SSA)
    - Possible filter : VSFilter/DVobSub
    - Installed : yes, in C:\Program Files\Matroska Pack\VSFilter.dll (1.0.1.2)
    - Link : http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli
    - Language : English (eng)
    Track 2 : Video
    - Codec : Microsoft VFW compatibility mode (V_MS/VFW/FOURCC)
    - Fourcc : XviD MPEG-4 codec (XVID)
    - Possible filter : Xvid
    - Installed : yes, in C:\WINDOWS\system32\xvid.ax
    - Link : http://www.xvid.org
    - Possible filter : ffdshow
    - Installed : yes, in C:\Program Files\ffdshow\ffdshow.ax (1.0.2.1998)
    - Link : http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow
    - Language : Japanese (jpn)
    - Pixel Width : 640
    - Pixel Height : 360
    Track 3 : Audio
    - Codec : AAC Low Complexity (A_AAC/MPEG2/LC)
    - Possible filter : CoreAAC
    - Installed : yes, in C:\WINDOWS\system32\CoreAAC.ax (1.1.0.642)
    - Link : http://coreaac.corecodec.org
    - Language : Japanese (jpn)
    - Sampling Frequency : 48000
    - Channels : 2
    Attached file : l_10646.ttf (316.39 KB)
    Attached file : LACUI___.TTF (57.98 KB)

So i've made sure the subtitles, video and audio codecs are properly installed.
    I then opened the file in VirtualdubMOD and began following the instructions in the first
    post of this thread.
    But when i came to this step,
    "Click Save WAV to convert it to mp3, ignore that it says WAV, save it as track2.mp3 "
    i got this error message instead:
    "No audio decompressor could be found to decompress the source audio format."
    I noticed that in the Stream List, the audio track is listed with "unknown wave format".
    If the codec for the audio was properly installed, why am i still not able to decompress it?

I'm very confused now... Can someone help pls?
    Quote Quote