VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hblackorby
    Does anyone have any ideas about capturing full-res stills from a Blue-ray disc?

Originally Posted by shill66
    One of my most popular websites is a gallery of screen captures. I've just begun buying Blu-ray discs and have an LG combo drive, and I need to find a way to get screen captures from Blu-ray discs. The basic question is how can it be done?
    Seems to me the capturing options should be about the same as for regular DVD (print screen and crop, the little camera icon in Power DVD, etc.) but I could be wrong...

Search Comp PM
    Recent versions of VLC have an excellent frame grabber that follows deinterlace settings.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    accidentally came across a one day free offer of Topaz Moment (like divx had some time ago)-downloaded and checked it out-allows use of some post processing and has a super resolution option while capturing-seems to be based on MPC-list price $39.99
    I got it free-so i like it. Handles almost all formats.

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PrintScreen and PowerDVD won't make a still capture at full resolution. They'll only capture at 72 DPI screen resolution. When playing regular DVD's, this isn't a problem. You can get a still capture through Blue-Ray through Print Screen, but it's at the lowest-resolution possible (72 dpi).

Blu-Ray is much higher than regular DVD's, and so I was hoping to get a higher resolution still capture. I think I'll try out Topaz Moment. It looks like it might do exactly what I want.

Originally Posted by olyteddy
    Seems to me the capturing options should be about the same as for regular DVD (print screen and crop, the little camera icon in Power DVD, etc.) but I could be wrong...
    Harold Blackorby
    St. Louis, MO

Search Comp PM
    Here is a VLC cap from 1080i using single field quarter resolution 960x540 "discard" mode under "video" "deinterlace". You can cap at 1920x1080 using any of the other deinterlace methods.

Here is another off air cap at 1280x720p.

Click on picture for full resolution window.

VLC is very easy and versatile for screen cap. The only things it won't do are frame average or multiframe cap but those can be done in your editor.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hblackorby
    PrintScreen and PowerDVD won't make a still capture at full resolution. They'll only capture at 72 DPI screen resolution. When playing regular DVD's, this isn't a problem. You can get a still capture through Blue-Ray through Print Screen, but it's at the lowest-resolution possible (72 dpi).

Blu-Ray is much higher than regular DVD's, and so I was hoping to get a higher resolution still capture. I think I'll try out Topaz Moment. It looks like it might do exactly what I want.

PrintScreen will capture at whatever resolution the screen is displaying. If the screen is 640 X 480, that's what it captures. I just now pressed it and pasted the result in IrfanView and sure enough, it pasted 2304 X 800 (the combined resolution of my two side by side screens). Therefore, if you are displaying BlueRay at full resolution (whatever X 1080), the screen cap will be full resolution. Screens don't even have 'DPI'...Just dots.

7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Screens don't even have 'DPI'...Just dots.
    Of course screens have DPI. It's related to the size of your monitor and your current resolution settings. If you have a 14.5" x 12" of actual screen space, and your resolution is 800 x 600, then your DPI is 55 DPI (dots per inch of monitor space). At 1024 resolution with 14.5" of screen space, your DPI is rougly 72 DPI. This is exactly why increasing your resolution makes everything smaller. The "dots" get smaller increasing your resolution and increasing your DPI. The Inch portion is your physical monitor size. And, because everything in the computer is related to pixels not true inches, everything (windows, text ,icons, images, etc) get smaller visibly.

In print, the Inch portion represents one inch of print space and how many dots got printed onto the paper in that inch. Monitor resolution is no different, except dots=pixels and pixel size can be dynamically adjusted with your resolution.
    Harold Blackorby
    St. Louis, MO

Search Comp PM
    Well yes, however the DPI of the screen is irrelevant to the capture. I should have said 'Sreen CAPTURES don't even have 'DPI'...'

9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I have read through the thread and seems like image grabber 2 is the choice to capture screenshot for newbie. I have about 300 wmv files (about 60 mins each) that i need to capture a screenshot about every 10 mins. Is there a software that I can use to batch this instead of clicking/capturing 1 video at a time? How about a command line tool to does that? Also, for getting the exact length of a wmv file, I know media info does that, again.. is there a command line app that I can do that with?

Thanks a bunch

Search Comp PM
    I thought I would add to this thread in that I hadn't seen mentioned that Media Player Classic does very good contact sheets. Starting with version 6.4.9.0, load a vid, goto file and click save thumbnails. The resulting save as screen is pretty self explanatory.

Search Comp PM
    You're mistaken.

BMP is an uncompressed image. JPEG is compressed.

The BMP is not worse than the JPEG, but neither is a JPEG necessarily worse than a BMP (if compressed well).
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS

12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just wanted to say you can use Video Thumbnails Maker to make caps from your video.

13. Dvd software like powerdvd has a screen shot abiltiy built in. For powerdvd there is a little camer icon that will save it to .bmp format.

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning.
    / Moderator Baldrick

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by shumaher
    Dvd software like powerdvd has a screen shot abiltiy built in. For powerdvd there is a little camer icon that will save it to .bmp format.
    Yeah, but it's all blurry and color is off.

Use VLC or VirtualDub for the best grab.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS

15. Member
    Search PM
    imovie. Try mpeg streamclip, handbrake or avidemux.
    Last edited by leomileman; 15th Apr 2012 at 22:11.
    leo mileman

16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I need help here.

I'm trying to capture still images from DVD using VLCPlayer and Topaz Moment, as well as other software, but the output is pretty small, around 720 * 576 pixels.

I tried switching my monitor resolution to a bigger one like 1280 * 1024 pixels but it's still the same.

Any tips? The DVD is very high quality but the resulting captured image is so small!!!

Thanks,
    Xeon

17. You can open the movie file in photoshop cs3 or cs4, guide it to the section you want to capture as a still. Then go into the layer section and "flatten image" and then just save the file as a jpeg. Hope that helps.

Rodney
    I am a filmmmaker in the U.S. and just wanted to participate in the forums. Thanks, Rodney

Here's my website in case you wanted to view.
    www.rodwashere.com

18. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can hire a professional artist and have him/her paint an image of the screenshot.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by scustalow
    I would like to just do a screen capture from windows media player is this possible?
    yes but you need to turn off video overlays or it wont work right.

20. To capture pictures from any Dvd or Video file you do not need any program or software. You can do this by using your keyboard and press the button ' prt sc' or 'fn' + 'prt sc' . Next what you need to do is go to Accessories and open the 'paint' program, press the button 'ctrl' + 'v' , the picture you captured from the dvd or video clip will be displayed here...hope this information is useful.

21. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nic531 View Post
    To capture pictures from any Dvd or Video file you do not need any program or software. You can do this by using your keyboard and press the button ' prt sc' or 'fn' + 'prt sc' . Next what you need to do is go to Accessories and open the 'paint' program, press the button 'ctrl' + 'v' , the picture you captured from the dvd or video clip will be displayed here...hope this information is useful.
    Wont work with video unless you turn off hardware acceleration for video card due to overlay.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nikar View Post
    Hi all,

I need help here.

I'm trying to capture still images from DVD using VLCPlayer and Topaz Moment, as well as other software, but the output is pretty small, around 720 * 576 pixels.

I tried switching my monitor resolution to a bigger one like 1280 * 1024 pixels but it's still the same.

Any tips? The DVD is very high quality but the resulting captured image is so small!!!

Thanks,
    Xeon
    DVD max resolution is 720x576.

Search Comp PM
    I have had good results with KM Player

Multiple ways to capture: Screen Shots, frames, clips and audio. Its got vastly configurable interfaces, including key and mouse maps to nearly any function. So, you can map screen cature to any key or even a mouse button. You can capture a frame from a paused video or while its in regular or slow motion.

Captured images are stored in a directory of your choice and multiple captures from the same source get sequential names that include an ID for the source, so if capture from more than one MPG or WMV or FLV or whatever, the name will be included on the image saved.

KM Player plays more media types than any other player I have tried. However its got a ton of options, preference settings and tweaks. They can seem over the top -- even to an old bit fiddler like me. I think the best advice is don't mess with too many settings in one pass -- tempting as that might be. If you cause a problem, it would be harder to pinpoint the change and then you wind up reseting to either defaults or a previous saved settings..

24. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    If you want to capture a pic with windows media player then go to control panel/display/settings/advanced/troubleshooting and turn down hardware acceleration to none and then press Prt Scrn on your keyboard and paste from paint.
    Just wanted to point out that this is true.

25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Play video/dvd/movie in MPC-HC, pause screen (space bar) where you want to capture the image, press ALT+I

26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have used (in windows 7) the built in snipping tool.
    sample from about 2 mins ago on windows media centre

Shot at 2012-05-18

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wrathofbod View Post
    (IMG)http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/8836/5starr.png (/IMG)
    Shot at 2012-05-18
    But who wants the seek bar and all that other stuff on a captured frame?

28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
    Originally Posted by wrathofbod View Post
    (IMG)http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/8836/5starr.png (/IMG)
    Shot at 2012-05-18
    But who wants the seek bar and all that other stuff on a captured frame?
    seek bar is only in as i did a quick capture. you can select any part of the vid.

Search PM
    Originally Posted by yellowjessy View Post
    Powerdvd or if you can the classic PrintScreen key.
    Your very first post is a grave-robber.....GOOD JOB.