VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've backed up 300+ movies and DVDShrink has always been spot on in transcoding files down exactly to the size I've set in the preferences. I tried shrinking "American Wedding" with a few extras and noticed that the output size is approx. 6.6MBs larger. I tried a second time, thinking that it must have just been a one time fluke, but got the same results. Has anybody else here had the same problem? And before anyone asks. I ran Deep Analysis and used Adaptive Error Correction.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  2. Did you select from the drop down list or did you enter a custom file size?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Custom size selected but that has never been an issue.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  4. I've never bothered to check the sizes of DVDShrink's output before burning. Does the excess 8.6 MB prevent you from burning to DVD?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jyn999
    I've never bothered to check the sizes of DVDShrink's output before burning. Does the excess 6.6 MB prevent you from burning to DVD?
    No, I was actually able to burn the 4480.6mb disc, but it would not play on my main standalone player. It would just spin, and keep spinning. It did play fine on my other player though. I’ve been setting a custom size of 4474mb which is 10mb’s larger than the default in DVDShrink only because the media I’ve been using (Prodisc S03 & MCC) has been very reliable even at the end of the disc.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  6. What's the point of your posting? The only nugget of information to be gleaned is that overburned DVD's cannot be read by all standalone players.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What's the point of your posting? The only nugget of information to be gleaned is that overburned DVD's cannot be read by all standalone players.
    The point of my post was that DVDShrink was not accurate in outputting the correct size I set it to be as it always has been accurate till now. I was just responding to your question whether it would burn properly and I decided to also let you know how it played back. Now... why are you busting my balls?
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    Always use Deep Analysis for two reasons:
    1.The output size will be more accurate.
    2.Better quality.
    I did use Deep Analysis and still it produced output which was larger.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  9. Sorry I didn't read that in your first post.
    I always set Custom to 4300MB to allow for error.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by louv68
    What's the point of your posting? The only nugget of information to be gleaned is that overburned DVD's cannot be read by all standalone players.
    The point of my post was that DVDShrink was not accurate in outputting the correct size I set it to be as it always has been accurate till now. I was just responding to your question whether it would burn properly and I decided to also let you know how it played back. Now... why are you busting my balls?
    That wasn't my intention. Sorry you took it that way.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by louv68
    That wasn't my intention. Sorry you took it that way.
    That's alright. I've just seen so many rips on this site that I guess I immediately took it as such. Sorry about that too.

DVDShrink is still not transcoding to the defined output size. I set it to the default and it still creates an output which is too big. I tried changing the AEC setting from Sharp to Very Smooth and the output was even bigger. No clue what's going on.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't attest to the accuracy of Shrink's projected vs. actual file size performance, but I just leave it at the default size setting, and I've been able to burn every VIDEO_TS folder that it has created but one. For that one, I just had to increase the compression slightly on one of the titles to get the projected output to be smaller than the default setting.

I do think the output isn't always exactly accurate, though, but the margin of error is small enough to still create a burnable DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have mine set at 4466MB and that's exactly what the final disc ends up being.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Capmaster
    I have mine set at 4466MB and that's exactly what the final disc ends up being.
    All of my previous 300+ tries have also been exactly as I had it set in the preferences. It's not till a few days ago that I had this problem.

Has anyone else had this happen?
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    louv68

Probably stupid question, but what is the output size Shrink indicates above, in the bar?

Compressibility with Shrink has a limit, and sometimes it can not reach your target size in one pass.
    Newbie to DVD backup
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pg55555
    louv68

Probably stupid question, but what is the output size Shrink indicates above, in the bar?

Compressibility with Shrink has a limit, and sometimes it can not reach your target size in one pass.
    DVDShrink indicates the output amount I've set in preferences on the bar. ddlooping on the Digital Video Forums website has offered some options that may fix this problem. He claims that DVDShrink may have underestimated the titles sizes and was not able to compress them enough (due to the limitation of its compression algorithm). http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41354
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote