VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've always thought that to copy a DVD it would be easiest to use DVD Decrypter to rip it to the hard drive and then DVD Shrink to burn it back to DVD. However, many times DVD Shrink isn't able to fit it all back onto a DVD so you have to cut out some things.

Does anyone else have a better suggestion on how to do that using freeware? Does DVD Shrink have an option to rip it and copy to another DVD without loosing some of the quality and/or data or is there a better program to do this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    > I've always thought that to copy a DVD it would be easiest to use DVD Decrypter to rip it to the hard drive and then DVD Shrink to burn it back to DVD.

Are you using DVD Shrink to "shrink" it first or just burn it?

> However, many times DVD Shrink isn't able to fit it all back onto a DVD so you have to cut out some things.

If you're trying to copy a DVD-9 to a DVD 5 then it won't all fit on one disk. That's why DVD Shrink has the capability to "shrink" it.

> Does anyone else have a better suggestion on how to do that using freeware?

Get a dual layer burner and use dual layer disks.

> Does DVD Shrink have an option to rip it and copy to another DVD without loosing some of the quality and/or data

If the original DVD has more than about 4.3 gig of data then you're going to have to loose some quality or data. No matter how hard you push, you just can't get 9 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag.

> or is there a better program to do this?

No.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Does DVD Shrink have an option to rip it and copy to another DVD without loosing some of the quality and/or data or is there a better program to do this?
    No...
    If you are backing up a DVD 9 to a DVD 5, you will either have to compress it or cut out extra material. In my experience DVD Shrink is the best program to this, but u can also use DVD2ONE, or CloneDVD
    The distance between genius and insanity is measured only by success...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The best setup that i have used is to run anydvd in the background and use dvdcopy2 to backup the dvd.........it shrinks and writes it in 1 hour and the quality is awesome.
    You can get these programs from http://www.slysoft.com they are not freeware they cost about $70.00 for both and worth every penny.

Hope this helps
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    > The best setup that i have used is to run anydvd in the background and use dvdcopy2 to backup the dvd

Just wondering- what other setups have you tried for comparison?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I guess my problem arises from the fact that I assumed all DVDs are created equal in regards to space. Most likely the ones I am ripping are DVD-9s which I'm assuming are dual layered and as such have more data capacity than a DVD-R that is single layered. That was something I wasn't aware of.

To answer your questions BobK I was using DVD Shrink to shrink it and burn it to DVD since it could do both. I was aware that DVD shrink could shrink down the size for me but was thinking that something about the decrypting was causing the files to be much larger on the hard drive than they would be on the DVD.

So, now that I know all the information, do you guys know if DVD shrink has the capability to rip from a DVD and burn straight to the new DVD-R? It would be nice to just be able to cut the DVD Decrypter out of it so I don't have to bother with it being a two step process.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you have Nero or Decrypter for burning installed, Shrink can do it all in one step.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Melekal: I think your question is instead of ripping 7-9 gigs to the hard drive, using shrink to rip to an extra 4.5, then burning, go straight from DVD to shrunk space and having it burn?

If so, yes. I'm a bit low on HDD space myself, so it's what I do. Drop the DVD in the DVDRom, drop a blank in the DVDR drive, hit backup and I'm golden. I set DVDDecrypter to automatically burn when it's done, but I"m guessing you meant to eliminate DVDDC as a ripper.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I use DVD Shrink for all my back ups. I have backed up about 60 of me and my brother's dvds and the only one i've had a problem with is clerks. If you want to keep the original quality a duel layer dvd is your best bet. Me, I am satisfied with the quality of the dvd even after compression with dvd shrink. but i'm not that picky so i'm not hurrying out to buy the duel layer recorder and media.
    Quote Quote