VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey,

I know TMPG dvd author does it for you, but I do not like the menues with out sound, and they are cut off on the TV... So what is the easiest way to convert the audio of my mpgs to 48hz? Do I have to demultiplex, and then convert, and then multiplex? Or what?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    you can use dvd-lab. and menus will always be cut off, it is called overscan.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You wish to convert audio from 44100khz to 48000khz?

De mux your mpeg to elementary streams, load the audio part to an audio editor like soundforge and re-sample your source to 48000khz. Then export to wav and use tooLAME to encode it to mp2. Re-mux it with your video and the new mpeg has mp2 audio.

There are also audio utilities for this, search here:

For audio editors: https://www.videohelp.com/tools?s=18#18
    For audio encoders: https://www.videohelp.com/tools?s=10#10
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Bearbegr
    Hey,

I know TMPG dvd author does it for you, but I do not like the menues with out sound, and they are cut off on the TV... So what is the easiest way to convert the audio of my mpgs to 48hz? Do I have to demultiplex, and then convert, and then multiplex? Or what?
    I'm not trying to flog a dead horse, but TMPGEnc DVD Author can do menus with sound. I thikn the sound has to be PCM (WAV) or MP2 (only for PAL) though. Your main movie MPEGs will be cut off on the TV also so I personally would stick to using TMPGEnc DVD Author because it'll do the conversion for you on the fly.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    jimmalenko-MP2 (only for PAL)
    This isn't entirely accurate. I'm in the US and my wintv pvr250 only encodes in mpeg audio (mp2). It plays in my standalone dvd players just fine. Even my sony dvp-s360 will play mpeg audio and that model is several years old - and very picky I might add (though it plays - and + r discs just fine).

I think it just might have minor incompatiblity issues in the US. Of course, just about any dvd will play in a dvd-rom (assuming of course your pc/mac has all the neccessary codecs).
    Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    Hello,
    jimmalenko-MP2 (only for PAL)
    This isn't entirely accurate.
    I think it just might have minor incompatiblity issues in the US.
    Interesting. I did some research (just to try to prove you wrong :P ) and found some interesting information.

From Videohelp.com's What is DVD:
    Audio:
    48000 Hz
    32 - 1536 kbps
    Up to 8 audio tracks containing DD (Dolby Digital/AC3), DTS, PCM(uncompressed audio), MPEG-1 Layer2. One audio track must have DD or PCM Audio.

From DVDDemystified's FAQ:
    MPEG audio is not used much on DVDs, although some inexpensive DVD recording software programs use MPEG audio, even on NTSC discs, which goes against the DVD standard and is not supported by all NTSC players.
    Discs containing 525/60 (NTSC) video must use PCM or Dolby Digital on at least one track. Discs containing 625/50 (PAL/SECAM) video must use PCM or MPEG audio or Dolby Digital on at least one track. Additional tracks may be in any format.
    So as I understand it, in effect, you can put MP2 audio on an NTSC disc, provided at least one track has either DD or PCM. You cannot have all tracks as MP2 like you can with PAL, which is the context in which my statement was made.

I guess this means that what I said wasn't entirely accurate, but it wasn't exactly incorrect either
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    jimmalenko-I guess this means that what I said wasn't entirely accurate, but it wasn't exactly incorrect either
    Just a friendly rebuttle to that I have made discs with just the mpeg audio track (as I currently don't have a author program that easily allows switchable audio tracks). They work just fine. I have backed up tv shows with hauppauge card and then burned with just the mpeg track and no problems.

I guess it's up in the air but my personal expeirences haven't had issues with it. Go figure.
    Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Hello,
    jimmalenko-I guess this means that what I said wasn't entirely accurate, but it wasn't exactly incorrect either
    Just a friendly rebuttle to that I have made discs with just the mpeg audio track (as I currently don't have a author program that easily allows switchable audio tracks). They work just fine. I have backed up tv shows with hauppauge card and then burned with just the mpeg track and no problems.

I guess it's up in the air but my personal expeirences haven't had issues with it. Go figure.
    Kevin
    What is happening is that your DVD Player can play PAL and NTSC, so it doesn't have any issues with it. Not all NTSC players can do this. The DVD is out of spec also.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been looking for a long time for a case of a DVD player
    that can't play MP2. I've never seen one. I'ts not in the spec
    but they all seem to do it anyway
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

jimmalenko-What is happening is that your DVD Player can play PAL and NTSC

Sorry, I can't let this go. It CAN'T play PAL discs. I have a Roxette Music Video dvd that is Pal and it WON'T play on my Sony DVP-s360. It also won't play on my toshiba (forgot model number). Both play my mpeg audio only dvds.

FOO-I've been looking for a long time for a case of a DVD player

That would seem to be the case. It must be some kind of redundancy put into the players. Why else would hauppauge or other capture card companys sell mpeg audio only cards in the US if the US dvd players COULDN'T play them. They'd be out of business in no time. Obviously they knew there wouldn't be a problem.

Nothing personal jimmalenko, I just didn't want other people to think mp2 was PAL only. For some reason we in NTSC land don't have issues with it. I'm not saying its better or worse than ac3, it's just another compressed audio option available to us in the US.
    Kevin
    [/quote]
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's unlikeley that anyone would design different chips for players for
    the US and EU. They just make one that does it all.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by FOO
    I've been looking for a long time for a case of a DVD player
    Well, my A-Trend (can't remember if it's a AD-L528), supports both PAL and NTSC, but won't play any mpeg audio track, although I bought it in France!
    Out of spec, really...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    kenj-won't play any mpeg audio track
    Just curious, have you checked all the audio output options in the menu setup screens? I'm sure you probably have but most players seem to have a selection screen for outputing pcm, dolby digital, dts (if available) and so on. If you have gone through it sorry for the extra post, just thought I'd mention it.
    Kevin
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    According to DVD standards, a NTSC DVD with only MP2 audio is out of spec.

Whether it plays or not is another matter.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    Ok, I'll let it go now. I just wanted to point out that it CAN play in US NTSC players (apparently quite a few of them). Thanks for keeping the discussion light (ie no flaming ). Happy editing!
    Kevin
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by yoda313
    Just curious, have you checked all the audio output options in the menu setup screens? I'm sure you probably have but most players seem to have a selection screen for outputing pcm, dolby digital, dts (if available) and so on. If you have gone through it sorry for the extra post, just thought I'd mention it.
    Kevin
    Hi!

Yes, I went through the audio menu, but couldn't get the mpeg audio playing correctly. I'll check it again, and actually, I only had one DVD with only mpeg audio (The Deer Hunter, PAL edition), so that I didn't really care...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Hello,
    Ok, I'll let it go now. I just wanted to point out that it CAN play in US NTSC players (apparently quite a few of them). Thanks for keeping the discussion light (ie no flaming ). Happy editing!
    Kevin
    Cool.

Obviously it's hard for me to know for sure being in PAL land and all.

All I have to go on is the DVD spec and in hindsight, I probably didn't express the point I was trying to make clearly enough in the first instance.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote