VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    That is where common sense comes in. Do not open strange e-mail.

W32.Beagle.AG@mm is a mass-mailing worm that uses its own SMTP engine to spread through email and opens a backdoor on TCP port 1080.

The subject line, body, and attachment name of the email vary. The attachment will have a .com, .cpl, .exe, .scr, or .zip file extension. If the file attachment is a .zip file, it will be password protected.

The worm is packed with PeX.

Symantec Security Response has developed a removal tool to clean the infections of W32.Beagle.AG@mm.

And you did not have up to date definitions, if you got infected with it.

I am both a system and network administrator who uses Norton Antivirus and have never had one single problem.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sartynhc
    Ran a scan and found a trojan norton didn't even pick up.
    Because you did not have updated definitions. I check about three to four times a day for updates.

If you had the updates, Norton would have picked it up.

There are two ways to check for updates.
    1. LiveUpdate - weekly
    2.Intelligent Updater - daily.

If you get hit by a motorcycle, it is not the cycles fault.

It is the driver.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes I did have updated definition. Email wasnt that strange, well at least not to my boss, she thought it came from her husband, where was norton in containing it, it spread like crazy on her system. I dont know what do you think realtime is supposed to do. I dont need removal instructions I already got rid of it before I even posted in here.

I updated norton and did a scan before I uninstalled and installed nod32, so yeh im pretty sure it was updated.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Think,

No you didn't, or it would have caught it.

You can set up Norton to scan e-mail.
    IT SCANS BOTH INCOMING AND OUTGOING E-MAIL.

It has outbound heuristic scanning.

It would have sounded an alarm, and either tried to quarrantine it or delete it.

A firewall also helps, as it can contain the spread.

How often do you check for updates.

They sometimes update two or three times a day.

I have never been hit by welchia, or blaster, or beagle, or code red or anything along those lines, so I am obviously doing something right.

I REPEAT, I AM AN ADMINISTRATOR AND NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS, AND I USE NORTON, EXPLAIN THAT.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    she was checking webmail

I have never been hit by welchia, or blaster, or beagle, or code red or anything along those lines either.

Twice a day

Maybe because when people you do administer do have a problem they dont come to you. My boss didnt go to our ADMINISTRATOR, she came to me.

Our administrator wont allow us to setup a software firewall.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    They do come to me. That is your problem right there in not having a firewall. the problem is not Norton.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    maybe your right norton might be a decent program and my adminstrators are morons(hey I insult them daily).

I just think NOD32 is a better program and thats my opinion you think norton is better thats yours. I really do think norton realtime is very lacking though, it did do a decent job at cleaning.

Well at least you know a firewall is needed, lol they made me delete mine.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I also go to college, and the It person there had not updated the definitions, in over a year.

He is more of a mac person. We make fun of him all the time.

I meant no ill will between us.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    no problem you know your stuff and are a REAL ADMISTRATOR, wish we had someone like you this is our administrators idea of getting rid of a virus:

Admin: Hey how you doing. What can I help you with.

Me: Hey someone in my office got a virus can you come and take care of it.

Admin: Sure let me get my windows 2000 cd and we'll format that sucker.

Me: Why do you always have to format the computers

Admin: Why shouldn't we?

Me: ok your the admin.......

I came to them once and only once cause my antivirus had picked up a false postive and they didnt believe me so they completely formated it. I had to burn gigs and gigs and gigs to cd. I was so pissed.

You sound like a cool person
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thanx.

Same here.

You sound like a escellent person too.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Devanshu
    I downloaded AVG free edition and ran it. It did its thing and moved the infected files to a virus vault. The problem now is that I think it removed exe files so I cant run simple programs like AIM. Is there any way to fix this mess?
    Reinstall those programs... I guess their .exe's or core files were replaced/infected by viruses.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mujahid7ia
    Reinstall those programs... I guess their .exe's or core files were replaced/infected by viruses.
    I was afraid someone was going to say that. The problem is, that it infected almost all my programs. Now I have to dig up all the installation cds and re-download the stupid programs. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  13. What virus was it? you can probably check in the virus vault or in test history? just curious.
    Quote Quote