VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

I've just bought a new dvd player from asda for £30 and I know it plays DVD-Rs but the manual does not say whether it plays DVD-RW.

I've just bought some DVD-RWs from ebay and I get the message Bad Disc when I try and play them in the Pacific, but these discs are very dodgy and even my PC Dual DVD Player has problems reading them.

Has anyone got this model, if so can you tell me if it plays DVD-RWs?

If it does then I'll be returning this bulkpaq DVD-RWs I bought on Ebay and buying myself some decent discs.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Did you check with the DVD player list link to the left?
    <-----------
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep but my player isn't in the list only the 1000 and 1002 are there.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Pacific DVD-1001 Player from Asda

Pacific are making a great name for themselves in the budget section of the home entertainment market, and with their products being sold in Asda supermarkets up and down the UK, they enjoy massive sales thanks to their value-for-money approach - these units currently cost a touch under œ38 without a Scart lead!

The Pacific 1001 DVD Player is a basic unit. Gone is the multicoloured LED display of the 1002 and in it's place is a single Red/Green LED. The unit is a lot slimmer than the Pacific 1002 as well, but is essentially the same drive with the same features: DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, CD-R, CD-RW, VCD, SVCD, MP3 and JPEG Playback - plus the drive on the unit reads even the cheapest DVD-Rs available without apparently problems.

Not only that, but the Pacific 1001 retains the same minimal Region-Locking security of others in the line. They unlock using the same 'Open-Clear-1-3-6-9-0-Close' combination on the handset, allowing you to play any region you want. In fact, once their range is upgraded to play DivX 5 movies, Pacific machines will pretty much play anything you can put in there.

The cost-cutting is apparent, though, especially if - like us - you've owned the 1002 as well: the slimmer, silver body isn't as attractive or as functional as other players on the market; the remote control is smaller but feels a little tacky and not very solid, and you really need to point it at the IR-receiver carefully to get any response.

All in all it's a nice little unit, and for œ38, where are you going to go wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thx for your help offline
    Quote Quote  
  6. Zak,

read this comment:

I originally had the Pacific 1001 also from ASDA, took it back as it had difficulty reading some of my DVD-R (Mitsubishi) discs, I had to retry abour 5 - 6 times, to stop the "bad disc" error from appearing. I put these same discs into the 1002W and they worked straight away.

I can't recommend this player enough, go and get one!!

Seems like the player is picky about DVDR in general. This
    is not unusual but there are brands available that will play
    almost everything you throw at them.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am going to my local Asda tomorrow to see if they have got the 1002, if so I will exchange my 1001 for it. I'm not sure if it is the same elsewhere but the players in Asda are not very clear on the box what disc types they play, and even in the manual under DVD discs it still doesn't state what DVDs it plays. I wonder why they are so vague?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You also mentioned that you PC's drive has trouble reading them.
    Don't sound like the disc are much cop. A PC is more forgiving than any standalone . If it stuggles on the PC your probably best to try a different media.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have had Pacific 750, 1001 and 1002, 750 broke and replaced by Asda for newer model. None of them had ny trouble playing ANY media at first. Some months later they would start to hiccup. Found out it was labels. Soaked off the labels and all media. even Princo from 18 months ago, still play
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good news, I took back the 1001 and paid an extra £5 for the 1002W and it plays all my discs, even the dodgy DVD-RWs I bought from Ebay.

Thx for all the feedback!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Damn it, my dvd-writer doesn't write DVD-RWs only DVD+RWs !!!

Isn't there any way I can get my Pacific 1001z to play DVD+RWs?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    An update on my Pacific 1002W. All of a sudden it stopped playing lots of my copies. It also suffered from jerking near the end of a lot of my copied discs. I took it back and got a refund months after buying it, (good old ASDA).

I now own an MP4 player, its a SMC DV-010B from the USA (so I was told, but I can't find it anywhere on Google) and it plays all my discs and doesn't suffer from any jerkiness. But when it comes to playing movies converted to mp4/xvid/divx it is hit or miss whether it plays them without any jerkiness. Not sure if thats to do with poor conversions, but I have read about the first generation of mp4 players being prone to this problem. Still it's much better than the Pacific : )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    bulkpaq DVD-RWs = crap media
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    bulkpaq DVD-RWs = crap media
    Yes and don't I know it

I wasted several days trying to make them work on my PC about all they are good for, the fraction that actually work that is, is for data storage, and even then only in an extreme emergency I use unbranded PC World (UK) DVD-RW/+RW or whatever branded ones my local Poundland shop stocks that cost a £1 a disc and they seem to work perfectly with very few coasters.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    my mate at asda say that you mite have to put something on top off the new player for them to play right funny i now put works eg bag of sugar stops the disc from slipping on the wheel thing that hold the disc
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    my mate at asda say that you mite have to put something on top off the new player for them to play right funny i now put works eg bag of sugar stops the disc from slipping on the wheel thing that hold the disc

Get outta here
    Quote Quote