VideoHelp Forum
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker or buy a VSO converter software :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    During my latest attempt to backup protected DVD-Video I got this error regarding very last VOB file (47,544KB file size) on the disc:
    I 14:42:42 Found VOB File: VTS_03_1.VOB - (LBA: 1700642 - 1724413) - KEY: D7 4B E4 4C 83
    W 14:43:36 Failed to read Sector 1719459 - CIRC Unrecovered Error
    W 14:43:42 Failed to read Sector 1719460 - CIRC Unrecovered Error
    E 14:43:56 Failed to read Sector 1719461 - CIRC Unrecovered Error
    W 14:43:56 Sector 1719461 - Pack Header Not Found (0x00000000)
    E 14:43:56 Failed to Extract Sectors!
    I repeated it few times, every try ended with above quoted error.
    So I ripped this disc again in File mode (with 'detect mastering errors' option) and it went through no sweat at first run:
    I 14:49:00 Decrypting VTS_03_1.VOB... (LBA: 1700642 - 1724413) - KEY: D7 4B E4 4C 83
    I 14:49:01 VOB ID: 1 - CELL ID: 1 - LBA: 0 - KEY: D7 4B E4 4C 83
    I 14:49:04 VOB ID: 1 - CELL ID: 2 - LBA: 23222 - KEY: D7 4B E4 4C 83
    I 14:49:09 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:04:23
    I 14:49:09 Average Read Rate: 13,111 KB/s (9.5x) - Maximum Read Rate: 16,564 KB/s (12.0x)
    I have made backup of this disc few months ago, and I had no problem with it in ISO mode. All hardware and settings are basically the same (previously just DVD-Decrypter was older version tho).
    DVD is in perfect shape, no scratches etc.
    Is it DVD-Decrypter's fault (bug) or what else could cause such behaviour?
    Im really curious, any ideas are welcome
    Quote Quote  
  2. It could be a Drive error as well, your media might be in perfect shape, but the drive itself could be dying on you
    Email me for faster replies!

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Certified Computer Technician.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since this was the last .VOB file on the disc, I believe that your drive is trying to read it too fast (at least faster than it can process). If this is a single layer DVD, then the data lies in the "fast lane" toward the outer edge of the disc.

If dual layer, your player may be having trouble reading the data through the top layer at your speeds.

Either way, you should probably try to limit the read speed to get better rips when something like this happens.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26 14' 10.16"N -- 80 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thx fo the replies.
    I limited read speed to 10x and tried read same disc in ISO mode - it went through, no problems at all.
    Then I removed speed limit (drive's speed limit is 12x) and did it again - same error appeared.
    I would agree with both of you guys the problem lies in the the drive itself (it is not that old, but it was certainly used alot, and I mean really a lot). However when same drive is reading same disc without speed limit, but in File mode in DVD Decrypter - there is no error at all, and it reads it at its max 12x speed at the end of the disc. Therefore the only difference is 'mode' at which disc is read with DVD Decrypter (File mode vs ISO mode) which doesnt make any difference for drive itself, right? And that makes me think its the DVD Dec's problem again?
    Im really puzzled.

The drive in question is:
    JLMS XJ-HD 166 S (Lite-On make) firmware DS1C (set to R1).

DVD Decrypter version is 3.2.2.0

The troublesome disc is SS-SL, R1, CSS, no RCE.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    File mode may be just ignoring any errors that occur.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26 14' 10.16"N -- 80 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  6. [quote="SLK001"]Since this was the last .VOB file on the disc, I believe that your drive is trying to read it too fast (at least faster than it can process). If this is a single layer DVD, then the data lies in the "fast lane" toward the outer edge of the disc.

If dual layer, your player may be having trouble reading the data through the top layer at your speeds.

Either way, you should probably try to limit the read speed to get better rips when something like this happens.[/quote]

How do you limit the read speed?
    Quote Quote