VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. I recently downloaded this divx movie. the video file was .divx file and the subtitles were .sub and .idx files. I want to get this movie to work on my liteon 2002 divx player. for the movie, i just renamed the file to .avi, but for the subtitiles, i have to convert the .sub and .idx files to .srt file. Can someone direct me on how to do that? or just how to get this working on my divx player? any help would be great, thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    subrip, open the idx file or the ifo file from the vobs, identify all characters and convert to srt.
    Quote Quote  
  3. i have to convert the .sub and .idx files to .srt file. Can someone direct me on how to do that?
    I knew that questions was coming next! There's a program called SubCreator that I believe can convert SUB to SRT.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    junkmalle, SubCreator is a nice program, but only works with text-type .sub files. Unfortunately, there are several sub formats that use the .sub extension, and the kind that come with idx files are graphic-based.

Baldrick, I tried SubRip. Basically, once I loaded the idx file, and clicked go to process, I was asked to identify each and every sub graphic. To just convert the sub for a single movie would take at least 5 hours of very tedious work...this is simply not practical. Fortunately, I have always been able to find the subs in srt format in an online database....but one day I might not be so lucky.

Is there anything else that might convert the graphic-based sub+idx to text-based subs?
    Quote Quote  
  5. You obviously didn't finish converting with SubRip. It actually only takes a minute or two to convert subs for a whole movie. Subrip remembers the characters you already identified, once you have identified them all conversion is done automatically for the rest of the movie.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It should only verify maybe 10 times the letter then it would finish. I guess it needs to match the text in the "matrix" file or something. My question is does the .srt file I save have to match the xvid file name?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, it wasn't so bad when I took the time to go through the entire process, but it was longer than "a minute or two"

Not only did I have to "identify" each upper and lower-case character, but also every upper and lower-case italic character that appeared, and then there were a lot of two-character, and even three-character identifications that had to be made as well, and of course various puctuation marks...I guess about 150 identifications in all...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You don't any special programs to convert .idx/.sub (vobsub) subtitles to text. Just go to start ---> All Programs ---> Vobsub ---> Subresync. Open your subtitle file and choose save as ........srt. Of course the process is like with subrip, thus time consuming but if you really need to convert the subs and you can't find them over the net, it's the only way.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Not only did I have to "identify" each upper and lower-case character, but also every upper and lower-case italic character that appeared, and then there were a lot of two-character, and even three-character identifications that had to be made as well, and of course various puctuation marks...I guess about 150 identifications in all...
    Does anyone know where I can find information on entering the special characters, such as the one that shows up as a musical note, etc? I tried the Character Map function in windows, but did not find a corresponding character that worked.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Where's the link? Thks
    Quote Quote  
  11. What link? You're responding to a 4.5 year old thread.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by robrosen
    Not only did I have to "identify" each upper and lower-case character, but also every upper and lower-case italic character that appeared, and then there were a lot of two-character, and even three-character identifications that had to be made as well, and of course various puctuation marks...I guess about 150 identifications in all...
    Does anyone know where I can find information on entering the special characters, such as the one that shows up as a musical note, etc? I tried the Character Map function in windows, but did not find a corresponding character that worked.
    I just tried this..it was pretty fast. It really did only take a minute or two.. at the beginning there were lots of letters but it soon started jumping way through the subtitle. I guess it depends on the quality of the images. If there are any problems with the subs in terms of letters looking different, it might take a long time.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It takes longer when theres italics and capitol letters,with no italics and capitols all it has to do is identify at the most 26 letters and 10 numbers and a few others such as . , etc.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Really......
    You dug up a 2 year old thread (originally a 7 year old thread) to link to an originally 4 year old thread

1 post wonders
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by LisaB View Post
    junkmalle, SubCreator is a nice program, but only works with text-type .sub files. Unfortunately, there are several sub formats that use the .sub extension, and the kind that come with idx files are graphic-based.

Baldrick, I tried SubRip. Basically, once I loaded the idx file, and clicked go to process, I was asked to identify each and every sub graphic. To just convert the sub for a single movie would take at least 5 hours of very tedious work...this is simply not practical. Fortunately, I have always been able to find the subs in srt format in an online database....but one day I might not be so lucky.

Is there anything else that might convert the graphic-based sub+idx to text-based subs?
    wow, talk about bitching! yes, the normal and italics add up to 104 ID's plus numbers and punctuations, maybe 120 times that you have to click a button.
    OR, you have a movie you don't understand one word of ....

hmmm wonder which is worse?
    Looking for subtitles of: Höök tt0997023, Lime tt0269480, La clé sur la porte tt0077348. tt=iMDb.com Found Desideria tt0081724 subtitle! :-)
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM

LMFAO!!!!!!!!

You do realize you just responded to someone's post that is 7 years old and she has not even been logged into the site for 4 years....

Quote Quote  
  17. it wasn't really intended for her benefit..
    Looking for subtitles of: Höök tt0997023, Lime tt0269480, La clé sur la porte tt0077348. tt=iMDb.com Found Desideria tt0081724 subtitle! :-)
    Quote Quote