VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. OGM to DVD Conversion

Tools Needed:
    Gspot
    Bitrate Calculator (I use dvd-hq calculator)
    Virtualdubmod
    Tmpgenc
    Tmpgenc DVD Author
    Ffmpeggui (optional)
    Nero or other DVD burning software.
    Vobsub

Before we begin, we should know a little bit about OGM files. OGM files are containers, which contain several different media streams. Usually, you will find a video stream, maybe several audio streams and sometimes even a subtitle stream. This allows the user to select different audio streams and they can decide whether they want to view subtitles or not. You see a lot of anime come in this format. Mainly because some people like to watch dubbed anime and some people like to watch subbed anime.

In order to convert OGM to DVD, we want to process the video and audio separately.

VIDEO
    Since most of the OGM files that I’ve converted contain subtitles, we are going to hardcode subtitles into the OGM file first. If your OGM file does not contain subtitles then you can skip this step.

First thing we want to do is rename the ogm file to avi.
    Right click on the file and choose rename.
    Rename the file to xxx.avi.
    Open up virtualdubmod.
    Click on file | open.
    Select the avi file that you have just renamed.
    Click on streams | stream list

You should see several streams here.

Click on the stream that contains text and then click on demux.

You want to name the subtitle stream the same name as your avi file and in the same directory.
    So you should end up with something like the picture below:

Now, we want to download and install Vobsub.
    Once you have Vobsub installed, go ahead and play the video file.
    You should see the subtitles show up as you play the video.

ENCODING THE VIDEO
    We are now ready to encode the avi file to mpg2.
    Open up tmpgenc and close out of the wizard.
    Load the avi (renamed ogm file) into tmpgenc.
    Since we only processing the video portion with tmpgenc, we want to select ES (video only) located on the lower right hand corner.
    We want to eliminate everything that is displayed in the audio path so that the audio path is blank.
    It should look something like this:

Make sure all settings for tmpgenc are set for dvd-compliant mpg (Look under the Tips section if you are not sure about tmpgenc settings) and click on start to begin the conversion.
    This may take quite some time depending on the length of the file, filters you have used, and if you are using cbr or vbr to encode. When the encoding is finished, you should end up with an m2v file.

AUDIO
    The audio portion is a much simpler process.
    Open the avi file in virtualdubmod again.
    Click on streams | stream list
    Right-click on the audio stream that you would want and click on full processing.

Make sure the stream is 48000hz.
    If it isn’t 48000Hz, right-click on the stream again and select conversion.

Place a dot next to 48000Hz and click ok.

You can also place a dot next to 16 bit and place a check next to high quality as well but this is optional.

Click on Save WAV.
    Select where you want to save the wave file to. Preferably in the same directory as your m2v file. Once the file has been saved to your hd, you can convert the wave file to ac3. This step is optional but I would recommend it. Wave files can take up a lot of room on your dvd which you can use to increase the bitrate of the video.

Open the wave file into ffmpeggui. All the settings should look the same as the picture below. Bitrate can be changed, but I would not recommend using audio with a bitrate lower than 192 kb/s.

When the conversion is finished you should now have both a video file (m2v) and an audio file (ac3).

Multiplexing Your Files
    Now that you have your two files, we need to merge them or multiplex them together and convert them to vob files. You can use tmpgenc dvd author to add menus, chapters and merge your files together to create vob files which you can then burn onto a DVD-/+RW.

Open up tmpgenc dvd author and select new project.
    Click on add file. Choose the m2v file that we created earlier and then select where your ac3 file is for the audio path.
    It should looks something like the picture below:

Create your menus and chapter points and then output your vob files. It should output a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder when it’s finished.
    You can use PowerDVD or WinDVD to check if the files play correctly and then burn the files to DVD.

Troubleshooting
    If you are having any problems with tmpgenc, please refer to the tmpgenc FAQ found here: https://www.videohelp.com/tmpgenc

If you are having problems with audio/video synch problems, then make sure that your audio has a sample rate of 48000Hz. Also, make sure you have not done any framerate conversions, such as changing a 25fps file to 23.97fps file, etc.

If you are still having problems with subtitles not appearing as you encode, make sure the srt file has the exact file name as the avi file. E.g. blah.avi and blah.srt.
    Also make sure that subtitles are turned on in Vobsub.

TIPS

Using Gspot and Bitrate Calculator to Determine Tmpgenc Settings
    Gspot is a handy tool to find information about your avi/ogm file.
    It will give you information about what codecs are needed to play media files as well other valuable information such as: frames per second, length of video, sample rate of audio, bitrate of the video and audio, aspect ratios, etc. All this information is useful for determining tmpgenc settings.

This is what you should see when you load an ogm file into Gspot. All the information circled in red are important and you should take note of them. Unfortunately, Gspot is unable to determine the runtime of ogm files but this is easily remedied by playing the file/s in your favorite media player and noting the runtimes.

When used in conjunction with a bitrate calculator it can help you determine the bitrates for 2-pass vbr and/or single pass cbr.

Here is an example of this in action: Say I have an ogm file. I’ve determined that the file is 120 minutes long by playing the file in windows media player (NOTE: if you have multiple avi's you want to add to one dvd-r, add the runtimes together and enter the total minutes into the bitrate calculator). I’ve run the file through Gspot and have obtained the following information about the file.
    Runtime: 120 minutes
    Frames per second (fps): 23.97
    Aspect Ratio: 640 x 480 (1.33)

Let’s determine the bitrate I should use. We will use the bitrate calculator found here: http://dvd-hq.info/Calculator.html?PHPSESSID=62c50d7df865dc4b8054b7c60293b03a

I have entered the appropriate numbers into the calculator.
    I set Audio Format to Custom because I will be using ac3 audio. Generally I will set the audio bitrate anywhere from 192-256 kb/s.
    Here’s a picture of what it should look like:

From the information gathered we can enter the following settings into tmpgenc:

VIDEO TAB
    Stream type: MPEG-2 Video
    Size: 720x480 (for NTSC)
    Aspect ratio: 4:3 Display
    Frame Rate: 23.97
    Rate control mode: 2-pass VBR
    Rate control settings: 4700 average bitrate obtained from the bitrate calculator. I always leave max and min bitrates at 8000 and 2000 respectively.
    VBV buffer size: 0 (automatic)
    Profile and level: MP@ML
    Video format: NTSC
    Encode mode: 3:2 pulldown for 23.97 fps source
    YUV format: 4:2:0
    DC component precision: 10 bits
    Motion search precision: motion estimate (fast)

ADVANCED TAB
    Video source type: this will usually change on it's own depending on the avi.
    Field order: Bottom
    Source aspect ratio: depends on the source, but for avi conversions you can just leave it at 1:1 display.
    Video arrange method: This setting is tricky but for our example the aspect ratio of the source file is 640 x 480. I've learned that center (keep aspect ratio) works the best. When you encode, it looks like you'll have a frame around the video but when you burn and play on your TV, it should come up full screen.

GOP STRUCTURE
    I pictures: 1
    B pictures: 7
    P pictures: 1
    All three of these numbers were gathered from the bitrate calculator. If unsure, you can just leave it at the default of 1, 5, and 2 respectively.

QUANTIZE MATRIX
    Default or cg/animation for anime.

For more information about tmpgenc settings, please visit the following web page:
    http://dvd-hq.info/Compression.html
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a question about your guide. Is it possible to make a DVD file using more than one audio stream in the output, like a regular DVD?

I have a few OGM files with more than one language track as well and was hoping that it was feasible.

Thanks in advance! ^_^
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    you can't use tmpgenc dvd author then ,you must get an authoring tool with several audio tracks support like dvdauthorgui.
    Quote Quote  
  4. dvd-lab pro also has the ability to multiplex several audio streams and subtitle streams.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm havig some serious problem converting ogm to dvd, I have an ogm with dual audio and subtitles, however I don't want the subtitles in my final file.

when I don't make the srt. file I get an unsupported file error from tmpeg, or it converts to .m2v but only as 6min long(instead of 22min.)

anyway, I don't klnow what I'm doing wrong, however gspot seems to be unable to calculate the video bitrate if that means anything.

I am so confused
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The same thing happened to my .m2v file without the .srt file. No matter what media player I used the diplayed time would be about 2.5 time shorter than the original.
    After watching the file it just appeared to be speeded up so I went on to author it with the audio stream and and the resulting file worked fine. I think as the m2v has no audio or subtitles my mediaplayer had no means to calibrate the speed it should replay the file at, by adding in a reference ie. subtitles or audio it is able to correct its replay speed.

Let me know if this helps
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by cedric_56
    I'm havig some serious problem converting ogm to dvd, I have an ogm with dual audio and subtitles, however I don't want the subtitles in my final file.

when I don't make the srt. file I get an unsupported file error from tmpeg, or it converts to .m2v but only as 6min long(instead of 22min.)

anyway, I don't klnow what I'm doing wrong, however gspot seems to be unable to calculate the video bitrate if that means anything.

I am so confused

here is the tmpgenc faq.
    I believe you'll find the answer to your problem here.

Problems and Tips:
    Some common TMPGEnc problems:

***If you get an error message when opening like file unsupported or can not open or is not supported
    or you get an empty(black) video preview window
    or the video look wierd in the video preview window like green or purple or pink
    Try first to change the directshow codec reader priority settings in TMPGEnc under Option->Environmental settings->VFAPI plug-in and right click on the DirectShow Multimedia File Reader and increase the priority to 2 or to the top of the plugin-list and try reopen the video.
    If that does not help be sure that you have installed DivX or XviD or MPG2 or DV Codecs, read here how to identify what codecs you need.

If TMPGEnc freezes or crashes when converting or you receive errors such as
    Unexpected decimal point calculation
    Illegal floating decimal point calculation order
    Write error occured at address 77F83AED of module "ntdlll.dll"
    Try first to change the directshow codec reader priority settings in TMPGEnc under Option->Environmental settings->VFAPI plug-in and right click on the DirectShow Multimedia File Reader and increase the priority to 2 or to the top of the plugin-list and try reopen the video.
    If that doesn't help try repair/fix the video source, you find video repair/fix guides here (Downloaded video files could have bad/corrupt video frames that could cause crashes).

If TMPGEnc says Can't load P3Package.dll or P4Package.dll?
    Be sure that you have exctracted all files in the tmpgenc download zip file to a folder then go to that folder and start tmpgenc.exe or make a shortcut to tmpgenc.exe and it should work. Or try copy the p3package.dll and p4package.dll to your windows\system32 folder and restart TMPGEnc.

If you get Audio errors, Audio out of sync problems or No Audio at all
    Try to convert the audio to WAV audio before converting and use the WAV as audio source. (TMPGEnc can't handle VBR MP3 and AC3 that well)

If TMPGEnc says that the video time / runtime is way too long
    TMPGEnc keeps encoding after the end of video with only a black screen
    Try change the directshow reader priority, in TMPGEnc under Option->Environmental settings->VFAPI plug-in and right click on the DirectShow Multimedia File Reader and increase the priority to 2 or to the top of the plugin-list and reopen the video.
    If that doesn't help try convert the audio to WAV audio before converting and use the wav as audio source.
    And if all that didn't help you can always use the source range to select exact what to encode, under Settings->Advanced in TMPGEnc.

NEW!! How do I encode several video files to one MPG video file?
    NEW!! Can I open several video files with TMPGenc?
    In TMPGenc under Option-> Environmental setting-> General, check the box for "Open sequence files as a movie". And then rename your movie source files like video1.avi, video2.avi, video3.avi (same name but with a number at the end) and all will be opened at once with TMPGEnc. Note that all files must have same video and audio settings.

NEW!! How do I convert video with AC3 audio?
    Install the AC3 ACM Compressor and you can convert AC3 audio. If you are making DVD you don't have to convert the AC3 audio at all, you can leave it as AC3 and only convert the video, read this guide.

I cannot change any settings
    The settings are greyed out after I open a template
    Load your VCD,SVCD or DVD template or use the wizard as usual, then load the unlock template that you find in the extra folder in the templates folders. Now you should be able to change every setting. You can also right click on the setting word and choose Unlock.

TMPGEnc takes away the widescreen
    The video looks stretched
    Be sure to select under Settings->Advanced under Video Arange Method: Full Screen(Keep aspect ratio).

If you have trouble open WMV files
    Try and rename it to .asf and open it. If that doesn't help try to change the directshow codec reader priority settings in TMPGEnc under Option->Environmental settings->VFAPI plug-in and right click on the DirectShow Multimedia File Reader and increase the priority to 2 or to the top of the plugin-list and try open the video.

If you have problem open DV AVI files
    First install a DV Codec and be sure that you can play DV AVI with Media Player.
    Then try change the directshow reader priority, in TMPGEnc under Option->Environmental settings->VFAPI plug-in and right click on the DirectShow Multimedia File Reader and increase the priority to 2 or to the top of the plugin-list and reopen the video.
    If that doesn't help you may need to convert the DV to Canopus reference DV (TMPGEnc do not support Microsoft DV AVI 1).

I want a fullscreen movie from a widescreen movie
    If the source is in WideScreen and you want it to be in FullScreen you just select under Settings->Advanced under Video Arange Method: No margin(keep aspect ratio) and TMPGEnc will then cut left and right so it will fit FullScreen.

If you have trouble open MPG/MPEG2/SVCD/DVD files
    Install the PowerDVD 4+ demo and use TMPGEnc 2.57+ and you should be able to open MPEG2
    or install the MPEG2 plugin for TMPGEnc or use this DVD2AVI method (note DVD2AVI do not convert the MPEG2 to AVI it only frameserves it to TMPGEnc)

If you have problem converting MOV(Quicktime) Files
    You find other MOV to converting tools here.

If you have problem open DV video, DC30+,MJPEG captured video or any AVI VFW
    Then try to change the settings in TMPGEnc under Option->Environmental settings->VFAPI plug-in and right click on the AVI VFW and increase the priority to 2 and try reopen the video.

Improve the audio quality
    You can use an external audio encoder because TMPGEncs own audio encoder is not the best. One of the best audio mpeg layer 2 encoders is tooLame, download and extract all files to a folder. In TMPGEnc under Options->Environmental Settings->External tools select Layer 2 and browse for the toolame.exe.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have got a few Anime OGM's. I want to burn more than 1 to a DVD Disc. They have multiple audio streams and subtitles. I want the BEST quality I can get. When I play the DVD in the DVD player I would like to be able to select which audio file I want to play and have the option of choosing to have subtitles ON or OFF.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Ultra_Immortal
    I have got a few Anime OGM's. I want to burn more than 1 to a DVD Disc. They have multiple audio streams and subtitles. I want the BEST quality I can get. When I play the DVD in the DVD player I would like to be able to select which audio file I want to play and have the option of choosing to have subtitles ON or OFF.

Thanks
    not really sure if this is a question or a statement.

you can do this with dvd-lab pro. it's in beta so you can download a trial version. it supports multiple audio streams as well as multiple subtitle streams.

so follow the guide but use dvd-lab pro (or any other dvd authoring program that supports mutiple streams) instead of tmpgenc dvd author, to author the dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am having trouble trying to add SUBTITLE streams to DVD Lab Pro.
    Help.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have got subtitles working, Thanks DAFREAK, for helping me out before, This is so cool!!!
    Quote Quote  
  12. hey dafreak what part of this guide do i need to change and what do i replace them with if i were to convert .ogm files to dvd and my final dvd will have english dubbing (with no subs) AND japanese (with subs) and what i mean by "AND japanese" is that you can switch from english (no subs) to jap (with subs)

thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  13. skip directly to the Encoding the Video section.

once you're done encoding the video, you want to demux japanese, english and text streams.

English and japanese audio:
    repeat steps under the Audio section for the japanese and english audio streams.
    go on to convert these streams to ac3 as instructed in the guide.

text:
    demux the text stream in the same manner as listed in the guide, but do this after you have encoded the video.

so your end result should include:
    1 video stream (m2v)
    2 audio streams (1 english ac3 file and 1 japanese ac3 file)
    1 text stream (srt)

now use dvd lab-pro to author all these files together.
    dvd lab pro allows you to include multiple audio and subtitle streams
    this will give you the results that you want.

you can play the video with english dub with or w/o subs or japanese audio with or w/o subs.
    Quote Quote  
  14. thanks dafreak you've been a real help i couldn't of done this without you

and one more thing is it possible to put subtitles in a specific place just for a short time.

for example: i want the subtitle when it shows the title of the show but no where else

and what if the ogm file uses xvid or divx would that make a problem?

thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  15. you can edit subitltes by opening up the srt file using notepad.

when you open up the file, you'll see time stamps and the subtitles.
    just edit what you want, and what you don't want.

you could also hard code the subtitles into the portion of the video that you want.

here's something you can consider doing. open up the srt file using notepad.
    edit out all of the subtitles that you don't want. save two versions of the subtitle stream (1 of the original, and 1 that you will edit). name the edited srt file the same as the avi file you're going to convert and save it into the same folder as the avi file.

eg.
    editedsubs.srt
    editedsubs.avi

convert the video as normal
    the subs should appear as you're encoding but only during the portion of the video that you want it to.

now when your authoring your dvd, use the original subtitle stream instead of the edited subtitle file.

not sure if that makes sense, but let me know if you need more help and maybe i can explain it to you better.

ps. not really sure what you mean about your second question.

and what if the ogm file uses xvid or divx would that make a problem?

if you're refering to converting ogm files that are xvid/divx, you shouldn't have a problem if you have the proper codecs installed. use gspot to determine what codecs if you are unsure what codecs you need.
    Quote Quote  
  16. thanks dafreak i think i under stand i'll let you now if i have any problems

Originally Posted by dafreak
    skip directly to the Encoding the Video section.
    when u told me to skip directly to the Encoding the Video part i still have to rename the .ogm file to xxx.avi right?

and if i want to put many other episodes on the same disk then i just repeat this process right?
    Quote Quote  
  17. yes, i believe you have to rename the ogm file in order for tmpgenc to recognize the file.

yes, repeat the steps for each ogm file you want to fit onto a dvd-r.
    Quote Quote  
  18. where did u download ur bitrate caculator
    Quote Quote  
  19. i didn't download it, i just go to the website and punch in the numbers.

bitrate calculator can be found here
    Quote Quote  
  20. thanks a million
    Quote Quote  
  21. rikstron, don't forget to change the audio streams to 2 streams, on the bitrate calculator, since you will be working with two audio streams.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey I'm new to all this but how do i preview the menu? I'm using DVD-Lad PRO. I tried with PowerDVD but I diddn't know how to get into the menu.

Also, DVD-Lad PRO won't load the sub file. I try import the srt file but it won't import.
    Quote Quote  
  23. to preview your menus, there is a small red play button. once you click on that, a console opens up with arrows. use the arrows to navigate through the menus.

I dont't think you need to import it.

add all your audio, video and subtitle streams to the audio/video tab.
    once you have them there, you can just drag and drop it onto the movie, or highlight the subtitle stream and choose insert.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are using DVD-Lab Pro. To load your subtitle stream ( .srt ).
    Click on the MOVIE 1 tab. Then where it says : Audio 1 and Audio 2, their should be a purple bar saying Sub 1. Click on that and then import your .srt file.

Have fun!!! ^_^

Here is a picture to help you out: https://www.videohelp.com/forum/images/guides/p968203/DVD-Lab%20Pro.JPG
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have some problems with an OGM file I just downloaded. It has one subtitle stream and one audio stream. I want to put it on DVD and make the subtitles selectable. I managed to get that part done. Also, are you sure it's safe to rename the OGM to AVI? Will anything get corrupted?

As for the video, the specs are pretty weird. 512x384. What should I set the size in TMPGEnc? Resizing to DVD standard would lose quality right? Also, the FPS is 24.000 which makes me have to do even more.

You said in the guide above to take the Ogg Vorbis audio stream and save it as a WAV in VdubMOD. However, you said that you don't recommend using audio below 192 kbps. Well, my audio stream is 107.0 kbps. Can I still convert it to AC3?
    Quote Quote  
  26. If you're afraid to rename the file to avi, then make a copy of the ogm file and rename the copy.

for the size of the video, you can do a few things. the aspect ratio for it is 1.33. set your output ar to 4:3, and your source to 1:1 ar. you can either keep it the original size, by using center (keep aspect ratio) or center (custom size), you'll most likely see a frame around the video during playback, or you can set the size to full screen by using center (custom size) and setting the size to 640 x 440. you can use fitcd to customize to find a size.

you can also use 1/2 d1 but you will have to do some research on that because I'm not too familiar with it.

to answer your third question, yes, you should not have any problems converting your audio to 192+kb/s ac3.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. At first it won't work when I renamed it to AVI. So I used VdubMOD and set the video at Direct Stream Copy. Then I saved it as an AVI. It now opens fine in TMPGEnc. :P

Now about the 24.000 framerate, what can I do about it to get a smooth result? I don't want rickety panning scenes.

Also, why did you say it had to be 640x440 for the video arrange method? In the past when I had to work with hardcoded subtitles, I would set it at center (custom size) 640x420 to keep the subs from going off the TV screen. Should I use 420 or 440? The subs are pretty low so I'm afraid it would go below it if I used 440. But then again after hearing you say that about the 440, I'm wondering if I might have squished the video a bit by using 420. The subs are fine at 420 though.
    Quote Quote  
  28. yeah, it's fine as long as the subs don't get cut off. I've used 640 x 440 and it worked fine.

24 fps is really close to 23.97 so set it to 23.97 and use 3:2 pulldown and it should come out fine.

when you're renaming files make sure windows does not hide file extensions.

if you open up my computer and go to tools | folder options
    click on the view tab and uncheck the hide file extensions for known file types box. that should work.

if after renaming the file and tmpgenc still does not accept the file, try raising the directshow priority.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tried both of those and it didn't work until I used VdubMOD. Thanks! If I encounter any more problems, I will post here.
    Quote Quote  
  30. is it possible to cut out a scene of the ogm file so it won't be there when i'm finished converting?
    Quote Quote