VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Have same problems with Toast 10.0. But only with DVD from the brand Platinum DVD+R (every 4 out of 5 DVD's get this error). I have these problem in my brand new laptop with OS10.6 as well on Powertower desktop with OS10.5.8. No Problem with other DVD's and dual layers DVD+R. So I don't think in my case that there is a problem with my writer but with the DVD's
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I already posted on hintsforums on macworld about this, but this was my solution....

Remember the old NES cartridges, with the contacts in them? Remember how we used to blow in them to get the dust and lint out so they would play?

That's exactly what I did. I put my head on the desk and WHOOSHED into the drive slot. As soon as I did that, I tried burning again, and it worked first time.

Thanks everyone

-R
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you guys, I used a CD/DVD cleaning disk and it worked for me as well! I'm burning away right now! It wasn't my discs and using the compressed air didn't work for me. The CD/DVD cleaning disk I used is the PHILIPS PH62022 CD Laser Lens Cleaner that I bought a long time ago.
    Quote Quote  
  4. After reading Basskadet's earlier post explaining varying power ranges of the laser and how each brand of disc needs different power, I tried burning my troublesome TDK discs on my Macbook Pro, but without the power cord connected (made sure battery was full).

I couldn't believe it but it actually worked! Got a whole stack of 10 of these TDK discs, and it won't burn any of them whilst the laptop's getting mains power.

Also, I've just burnt another disc with the power cord out. Once the laser had got its 'foothold' and was into the data writing, I connected the power and instantly got a write/medium error. Disc was coastered.
    Last edited by Gibson's Squares; 21st May 2012 at 02:49.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Gibson's Squares - That's interesting and while we usually discourage digging up old threads and adding to them, I suppose it's relevant enough to not complain that you did so. However, if you would just buy good quality media online like Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim (avoid their Life series if they sell that in the UK, but everything else they make is fine) I am sure that this problem would magically go away. Power calibration issues are the certain mark of low quality media. Also, if you burn at very low speeds (4x at the fastest, but 2.4x or 2x is better. Anything above 4x means "please make me a coaster" in practical terms) you may also find that you can burn your TDK discs with mains power.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I thought it worth adding as I'd been pulling my hair out for a long time on this issue, and this was the only thread that provided an insight into what was going on. In all my years I'd never heard of this power range difference between different brands of discs. Quite insightful.

BTW I do usually use Verbatim, just strayed to TDK coz they were slightly cheaper (I'm using Dual Layer). Was v surprised they didn't work, and with DL my write speeds never get over x3 anyway, usually x1 - x2.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You bought TDK DL discs? (shakes head)

We post here all the time - if you use ANYTHING other than Verbatim DVD+R DL media for your DL needs, you wasted your money. When you start throwing discs in the trash, your cost savings start to vanish.

Still, do not make a habit of digging up old threads to add them but in this case it was OK. Generally speaking just leave them alone and start a new thread if you ever have questions but since your post was informative to the past thread it's OK.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Went to Walmart and bought Memorex CD/DVD Lens Cleaner, as per someone suggestion.
    Works great simple cost effective solution, thanks for the post.
    Quote Quote