VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Anyone know of a program to ADD copy protect to a homemade dvd?

2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    why?

3. A local school have done a video of the school plays which they have asked me to put onto dvd's for resale to raise funds,i thought it would be a good idea to protect the disks

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by buzzmadman
    Anyone know of a program to ADD copy protect to a homemade dvd?
    Yes, but every person with internet access and an IQ above room temperature will be able to defeat it within seconds. The only working copy protection for a dvd is to run a chain through the center hole and padlock it. Otherwise, all you're doing is slowing them down.
    Fight spammers ghetto kung-fu style! Join the Unsolicited Commandos! or the Spam Vampires!

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by haloblack
    The only working copy protection for a dvd is to run a chain through the center hole and padlock it.
    Damn, I never thought of that!

Thanks man!

6. if that were completely true then why do the movie companys still use analogue and digital protection on their disks and how come many of my customers ask me how to remove these protections so as to copy the rental dvd's they have? ( I'm not saying it isnt easy to crack protection but i think that your AVERAGE pc/internet home user would be a little daunted with the ins and outs of ripping)

7. You can set the macrovison flag (helps preventing video copies) but
    the license fee is prohibitive. You can use CSS (helps prevent
    digital copies) but you have to master your DVD image to DLT and then get a DVD manufacturer to press them for you - also prohibitive in terms
    of cost.

In short forget it!

8. Just read in another forum that you can add protect with Ulead DVD Moviefactory 3

9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if that were completely true then why do the movie companys still use analogue and digital protection on their disks
    Same reason they claimed in court that Spider-Man didn't make any money. They live in a different reality than we do.

and how come many of my customers ask me how to remove these protections so as to copy the rental dvd's they have?
    Um... just what kind of business is it you're in?

( I'm not saying it isnt easy to crack protection but i think that your AVERAGE pc/internet home user would be a little daunted with the ins and outs of ripping)
    Any average PC user who wants to copy a dvd will go to Google, type in "how do I copy a dvd?" and be here within ten seconds. Then they'll register, ignore all the guides, and their first post will be "HOW DO I COPY A DVD I HAVE READ AND CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT?!" Thirty or forty abusive posts by the regs later, and they'll finally read a guide and be cranking out "backups" by the truckload. I may have a slightly different definition of "average" than you do, but the end result is the same. If the disc can be read, it can be copied - period. If I were you I'd include a title screen that said "If you're watching this play, then your child must be in it. If you didn't pay for this disc, then you're ripping off your own child's school. Underfunded schools produce undereducated students, so remember that when your daughter starts earning her money working for Vivid Video!"

But that's just me...

Fight spammers ghetto kung-fu style! Join the Unsolicited Commandos! or the Spam Vampires!

10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just read in another forum that you can add protect with Ulead DVD Moviefactory 3
    Sure, but why spend $100 to add protection that isn't going to work?

11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by haloblack
    Just read in another forum that you can add protect with Ulead DVD Moviefactory 3
    Sure, but why spend $100 to add protection that isn't going to work?
    This is why the movie and music industries are losing money. They waste money on things that don't work.

12. Just read in another forum that you can add protect with Ulead DVD Moviefactory 3
    Sure but the cost is prohibitive like I said.
    If you think you can buy Movie Factory 3 and then roll out
    DVD's with protection then you in for a shock.

13. . If I were you I'd include a title screen that said "If you're watching this play, then your child must be in it. If you didn't pay for this disc, then you're ripping off your own child's school. Underfunded schools produce undereducated students, so remember that when your daughter starts earning her money working for Vivid Video!"

Nice Idea

14. Originally Posted by buzzmadman
    BUY??WTF!!!

Yes. Buy. As in, 'contribute to the overall well-being of the capitalist-driven economy and exchange hard currency for usable product.'

Or were you suggesting otherwise?

15. contribute to the overall well-being of the capitalist-driven economy??WTF!!

16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    no warez

17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BUY??WTF!!!
    So you want to use stolen software to make sure nobody steals your movies?

'Scuse me... I have to go outside and scrape the irony off my shoes.

18. Who said anything about warez?? I've already got a copy

19. [/quote]So you want to use stolen software to make sure nobody steals your movies?

Its a dog eat dog world!!!

20. buzzmadman

I agree, the majority of people don't have a clue on how to get rid of copy protection, and just don't find it worth thier time reading, learning, or trying the software. I still see people having trouble trying to do a 1:1 copy of a disc without copy protection.
    Do you know how many people bought DVDXCOPY, a lot. Most people like 1 click no brainer solutions.
    Any copy protection will deter them further, although not foolproof as you already know.

21. Mondo Cane was a great movie

22. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Its pretty sad when you have to stop billy`s parents from making a copy of his performance and then sending it to his grandparents thus avoiding paying the school the needed funds,might as well bonk billy over the head and steal his raffle tickets.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.

23. Thats right BSR the no brainer solution is the most popular method,how many people do you know who use CCE to compress their dvd,s,its the best solution but also the most complex so hardly anyone touches it.I didnt think that putting protection on to my own DVD's would be such a problem and judging by the amount of views the thread has had i think there are maybe quite a few peeps who would also like to have this option when doing their own movies

Search Comp PM
    think there are maybe quite a few peeps who would also like to have this option
    More likely: It's always interesting to read this kind of post (and subsequent "discussion"/flame wars) that comes as regularly (and at about the same interval) as my womans periods. Inevitably the answer is "How on earth do you think you can protect your DVD, when the whole movie industry, pouring truckloads of $$ at it, cant?" It's good, nice, clean entertainment, that's what attracts the views!

/Mats

25. I hear if you make a copy with dvdxcopy you can't copy it again. Basically, well you can, whether people are going to figure that out is another matter.

Make copy with xcopy when it asks for a blank, open explorer, copy all files to another directory & presto, write all you want with those., they should have protection.

Or get a license from macrovision.com

However, I have done a lot of videos for schools & never did anyone copy one, so I think your situation is presumptive.

Search Comp PM

27. Handyguy i want to know how to copy protect not xcopy unprotect!!(who would tellyou they have copied your school video knowing the proceeds go to their childs school?)

28. I invented decryption.

29. If you used reverse engineering then you should know how to encrypt then