VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    mats wrote:

Inevitably the answer is "How on earth do you think you can protect your DVD, when the whole movie industry, pouring truckloads of $$ at it, cant?"

Thank you, I couldn't have said it any better myself.

2. These "How do I copyprotect a DVD?" threads crack me up...I needed a good laugh.

3. All i'm looking for is a bit more of a deterrant instead of supplying films that say COPY ME! a ll over them as soon as someone puts them into their pc :P

4. If you want reliable copy protection, stretch a condom around it.

5. Originally Posted by indolikaa
    If you want reliable copy protection, stretch a condom around it.
    that's only 99.8% reliable. I'd also put the dvd on the pill, just to make sure.

6. The condom didnt help with my last child!!

7. Originally Posted by buzzmadman
    Just read in another forum that you can add protect with Ulead DVD Moviefactory 3
    Can't be done with any recordable DVD media. The section of the disc that contains the encryptions keys is not writeable on DVD +/- r.

You might find a way of setting the Macrovision flag but if you do that without paying the licence fee it would be illegal.

So, two basic possibilities.

1) Chain and Padlock. Not very practical when you intend to sell copies

2) Disclaimer screen at the start of the video saying how copying is depriving the school of much needed funds. No actual copy protection but maybe a little peace of mind (I would check the wording with the school first, just to be on the safe side)

Have Fun

Bugster

8. Anyone heard of WTM CD Protect,claims to protect dvd,s as well??

Search Comp PM
    Teacher: "Hello students. The word for the day is 'DENSE'. Jimmy, can you use it in a sentence?"

Jimmy: "Yes ma'am. My daddy wanted to make sure nobody could copy that video we made last week. He asked the experts how this could be done. He was told it was impossible. Instead of believing them, he just kept asking stupid questions, each time getting the same answer."

Teacher: "Very good Jimmy! Oh... By the way, have you finished copying all those rentals I asked about. Remember, there's an 'A' in it for you. While you're at it, can I get a copy of that video he didn't want copied?"

8)

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
    You can give a person information, but they can choose not to listen.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS

10. Hey Buzzmadman!

You cannot encrypt a DVD-R disc with CSS. The actual encryption process takes place during the Mastering stage of DVD production, at which time you receive a diskette with the CSS keys specific to the DVD you are having replicated. The disc is mastered and the diskette key is destroyed.

Sources:
    http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technology/manuf/rep_premast.htm
    http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technology/manuf/rep_master.htm

11. Originally Posted by haloblack
    Any average PC user who wants to copy a dvd will go to Google, type in "how do I copy a dvd?" and be here within ten seconds. Then they'll register, ignore all the guides, and their first post will be "HOW DO I COPY A DVD I HAVE READ AND CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT?!" Thirty or forty abusive posts by the regs later, and they'll finally read a guide and be cranking out "backups" by the truckload.

OOOhhh!! SOMEONE"S had a rough day on the newbie forums!!!!

ROFL!!!!!!

Thanks man, that one cheered me up!
    |
    Meeow!

12. Okay time to admit defeat, i get it (not possible) would of been nice tho,looks like the disclaimer wins by the way,chill lordsmurf im here for advice and a giggle.not to be dragged over broken glass

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by buzzmadman
    Okay time to admit defeat, i get it (not possible) would of been nice tho,looks like the disclaimer wins by the way,chill lordsmurf im here for advice and a giggle.not to be dragged over broken glass
    It was meant as educational humor.
    Will a few more of these help: :P :P

Put a disclaimer that'd make satan cry. Nobody careas about the FBI. But stealing from our children will get to people.

14. Accepted with a smile :P

15. aww.. get a room guys :P

16. Originally Posted by buzzmadman
    A local school have done a video of the school plays which they have asked me to put onto dvd's for resale to raise funds,i thought it would be a good idea to protect the disks
    The simplest method and one which seems to escape the big studios is to make the disk affordable and NOT over priced....
    I know they need to make a profit etc but far better to sell a lot for a small profit than a few and get them copied and spread around....
    On another note i hope you have permission from all parents of all pupils involved in productions. Also paid for the rights to video the plays....
    We got a right rosting for videoing our sprogs school play as they had not paid for the correct licence....Eveen had to prove we had deleted the tape. Plus head springs in with if your child isnt in the play you have no right to film unless you have all parents permission... Something to do with dirty old men in macs might get off on such films...Sad but true....
    Aint it a sad world we live in...
    Not bothered by small problems...
    Spend a night alone with a mosquito

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by iooi
    A local school have done a video of the school plays which they have asked me to put onto dvd's for resale to raise funds,i thought it would be a good idea to protect the disks
    The simplest method and one which seems to escape the big studios is to make the disk affordable and NOT over priced....
    I know they need to make a profit etc but far better to sell a lot for a small profit than a few and get them copied and spread around....
    On another note i hope you have permission from all parents of all pupils involved in productions. Also paid for the rights to video the plays....
    We got a right rosting for videoing our sprogs school play as they had not paid for the correct licence....Eveen had to prove we had deleted the tape. Plus head springs in with if your child isnt in the play you have no right to film unless you have all parents permission... Something to do with dirty old men in macs might get off on such films...Sad but true....
    Aint it a sad world we live in...
    Public performance laws may come into effect here. As a photographer, I don't have to ask for permission to photograph and then publish in a newspaper for money. As long as the school approves the sale of the video, I'm not sure how much rights the children have. Such a confusing mess, something probably worth looking into.

18. I wonder what Jack Valent's take on this would be?

19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    he wound say un-f**king believeable

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by indolikaa
    I wonder what Jack Valent's take on this would be?
    well, since it didn't come from Hollywood, it is competition for the entertainment dollar and must be crushed at all cost.

Originally Posted by Jack Valenti
    *edit - damn you, Gitreel! I was still searching for the link when you posted!
    - housepig
    ----------------
    Housepig Records
    out now:
    Various Artists "Six Doors"
    Unicorn "Playing With Light"

21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    When I posted what? never mind. I see

Search PM
    As has been mentioned by my fellow forum members, you have not got a hope in hell of protecting your DVD. As has been mentioned, if Hollywood can't do it, what makes you think you can ? The problem is that DVD burners are so cheap these days that every Tom, Dick & Harry is buying them, and as pointed out above, racing to this forum and many others and finding out what they need to do to overcome the protection. It has never been easier for the masses to copy DVDs.
    If in doubt, Google it.

23. I really hate to get back to actually providing an answer to the original question, but since it is generally agreed upon that you will not totally protect a DVD the simple answer is to price the DVD where a customer will feel that they are getting fair value for their money. Since most casual copyers will try to go to VHS a fairly priced higher quality DVD will sell more and be copied less.
    Still a few bugs in the system...

24. AS i said before,i was only looking for a quick simple way to put a DETERANT onto my disks,not a complete block on copying,im no fool,i know from being a member of this site how easy it is to bypass copyright(ANY DVD being my favorite)but i just didnt want to make it easy for people to rip the school off

Search PM
    AS i said before,i was only looking for a quick simple way to put a DETERANT onto my disks,not a complete block on copying,im no fool,i know from being a member of this site how easy it is to bypass copyright(ANY DVD being my favorite)but i just didnt want to make it easy for people to rip the school off
    I think a copyright/school rip off message is the way to go. Pray on the guilty conscience for ripping the school off. Put some vision of a third world country with yourself editing over the top "This is what will happen to your children if you copy this DVD"
    If in doubt, Google it.

26. I wonder if you can add a gig of black video to it & then put a scratch where that is written so when someone tries to copy it, it wouldn't be able to read that area & therefore won't copy?

27. gig of black video to it & then put a scratch where that is written so when someone tries to copy it, it wouldn't be able to read that area & therefore won't copy?
    Then you would use DVDshrink in reauthor mode to copy just the ordinary video, or any number of other DVD rippers. Even ifoedit
    can be used bypass something like a scratch.

Search Comp PM
    All i'm looking for is a bit more of a deterrant instead of supplying films that say COPY ME! a ll over them as soon as someone puts them into their pc :P
    There's your problem, put DON'T COPY ME all over them.

29. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    some people would need hooked on phonics to be able to read that :P

Search Comp PM
    The main deterrent to copying these types of DVDs (much like the wedding video thread) is the content. Sure, you'll get people copying,selling and distributing Lord of the Rings, but how many people are going make any kind of money off of "Kingston Elementary Production of Little Red Riding Hood"? I'm sure people are scanning eBay for that one.

Just tell the school that they're a tiny fish in a big ******* ocean.