VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This guide will describe how to convert an AVI,DivX,XviD video to a DVD with selectable subtitles using DVD2SVCD(AVI2DVD). DVD2SVCD will convert the audio, the video, add selectable subtitles and author a basic DVD(no menus). This guide will NOT describe every setting, read this guide if you want detailed description for most settings.

Tools required:
    DVD2SVCD 1.2.2 build 1 or later
    TMPGEnc (or CinemaCraft Encoder SP 2.5 or Canopus Procoder)
    CopyToDVD (or another burning tool that can burn VIDEO_TS folders or ISO Images).

Preparation

Install DVD2SVCD. Select AVI to DVD as default conversion, you can change it later though.
    Start DVD2SVCD

Select Misc
    1. Set the default output folder, you neeed LOTS of free hd space(~10GB).
    2. Set the input to AVI
    3. Set the output to DVD

Select Encoder
    1. Click TMPGEnc if you want to use it as the default video encoder, locate the tmpgenc.exe if it isn't found automatically.
    2. Set the Rate control to Constant Bitrate
    3. Set the Motion search precision to Motion estimate search(fast)

Guide

Select Conversion
    1. Open the avi/divx/xvid video source
    2. Set the aspect ratio to 16:9(borders added)

Select CD Image
    1. Set it to DVD Author
    2. Deselect Create ISO

Select Bitrate
    1. Set the CD to DVD-R size

Subtitles - Select Subtitles (Optional)
    1. Set Rip subtitles(even though you wont rip the subtitles)
    2. Set it to DVD Subtitles
    3. Set the first language

Subtitles - Select Conversion (Optional)
    1. Click GO and select add external subtitle stream
    2. Open the srt(subrip) text file. (if you have the subtitles in some other format use Subtitle Workshop to convert it to srt)
    3. Set it to subrip
    4. Set the languague

Select Conversion again
    1. Click GO and select Preview
    2. Check the subs(if you have subtitles)
    3. Hit new frame to random check some previews to see that it looks okey
    4. Close the Preview window
    5. Last Hit GO - Start conversion

Now just wait, you could check the DVD2SVCD log and the output folder now and then too see if it is working.

When it is done you should have got a VIDEO_TS folder that you can test play with PowerDVD or WinDVD and then burn with CopyToDVD.

Burn
    1. In CopyToDVD choose Video DVD

Locate the VIDEO_TS folder and select the video_ts.ifo file.

DONe!
    Quote Quote  
  2. great guide for ADD switchable subs.
    Tks
    AMD Athlon XP +1700 Box on IMT4000
    Soyo Dragon+ . 256Mb DDR . ADSL 3Com 812 Office Connect
    GeForce 3 Ti200 . Samsung 753Dfx 17"Flat
    160Gb + 80Gb Seagate Barracuda - DVRW LG4040b . CDRW LG8532b
    unfortenately i didnt get all the way, it stopped with my author program, sonic scenarist, a failure to demux something...
    maybe i will give it a try later.
    Quote Quote  
  4. it is a verry good guide, but i have a few questions if you can help me pls :

1. is it possible to put on one dvd a movie from avi format if i have more parts to the movie , without joining them...? HOW????

AND

2. to all the movies that i make using this guide i get a change in colors...(like: instead of red collors i get blues and instead of blues collors i get red ones...). I may add that i use this guide to convert files from *.avi in pal format TO--> DVD format in NTSC....

Please help...10x a lot !!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. hi ...

To a movie that i want to convert using this guide i get, when preview, a green screen even if i press "new frame" is still the same...
    Quote Quote  
  6. i followed the guide(xvid-dvd) and everything went smoothly, i burnt it on my princo dvd cd and i played it on my pal ps2, and after like ever 30 secs it freezes for 1 sec, i also checked the dvd2svcd log and everything was smooth
    so is it the princo dvd cd because i've heard they arent that good or did i do something wrong converting it
    Quote Quote  
  7. all is perfect i just have 2 problems ...
    first i must specify that i am using the Cinema Craft encoder not TMPGEnc ... well ..i finnished encoding and i relaice that the Subtitles are in another color (when i watch the video from the HD), i configured to be yellow ..and now they are like white with blue borders (this happened too when i tryed to do a previsualitation before starting, but i beleved that was just some kind of bug ..and that the end of the conversion to DVD it will be yellow)... well .that is the 1 problem ....

the second problem is that when the video runs WITHOUT subtitles work perfect ... but when i turn ON the subs , and a subtitles appear, all the movie is blakc ..and i can only watch the subtitles in a rectangle that is transparent and in the back of only that rectangle part of the movie ..i am adding 2 images to you to see the problem ..please help me
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi, i just tried this guide for the second time.... But again i got an error during the Mplex part... really buggin' because it has just been encoding for 10 hours and now it just stops

The error:

Executing SpuMux. Commandline:
    "C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\DVDAuthor\spumux.exe" -m dvd -s "D:\nl1-1.xml" "D:\DVD\MPlex_Muxed_File00.mpg" "D:\DVD\MPlex_Muxed_File00-subbed.mpg" SpuMux failed for unknown reasons! For details open: "D:\SpuMux_log.txt"

In the SpuMux_log.txt it says: failed to find the document...
    ... that's because the file doesn't exist!!!!

WHAT NOW ...... im about to lose it up in here.....

Please help me... anyone....
    Quote Quote  
  9. I have tried to convert a movie this way like ten times. But each time I convert It ends up being something totally different from an .IFO file in a Video_TS folder. I end up with .mtr and .tpr files amongst many others, Anyone got a clue what I'm doing wrong? Is it the settings on my TMPGEncoder? Please help me before I loose it here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hi,
    I need someone's help with this cause I think my mistake is kinda stupid.
    I have my Video_TS folder with all the necessary files there. My problem is with the final burning. It's just not detailed enough. I located the Video_TS.ifo file, and I added it to the list in CopyToDVD, but what do I do with all the .vob files and the subtitles folder?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hello, can somebody help me...
    I'm having trouble inserting my external subtitle file.
    The thing is that when i preview the subtitles on the preview window, they show up like this: <'i'>Hello, is somebody home?<'/i'> (without the quotes)
    Instead of showing up like this: Hello, is somebody home?

How can i fix this??
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What if we have 2 Cds? How can we join them to just one DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Toolman
    Hi, i just tried this guide for the second time.... But again i got an error during the Mplex part... really buggin' because it has just been encoding for 10 hours and now it just stops

The error:

Executing SpuMux. Commandline:
    "C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\DVDAuthor\spumux.exe" -m dvd -s "D:\nl1-1.xml" "D:\DVD\MPlex_Muxed_File00.mpg" "D:\DVD\MPlex_Muxed_File00-subbed.mpg" SpuMux failed for unknown reasons! For details open: "D:\SpuMux_log.txt"

In the SpuMux_log.txt it says: failed to find the document...
    ... that's because the file doesn't exist!!!!

WHAT NOW ...... im about to lose it up in here.....

Please help me... anyone....
    This is a big issue with this app. Many people reports the same problem, me to.
    The solution I found was this:
    In the AUDIO tab UNcheck the "do not convert audio".

After that I deleted the whole job and started from the beginning. And everything worked.
    It could be because my source sound in the AVI was MP3.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ive never used this and somehow I have a post on here. So I deleted it.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    very good guide
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i follow what the guide says but when i use hit go, it gives me a message saying "Invalid access to memory location." can anyone help me out with this

in the log it says "I/O error 998 Invalid access to memory location" after extracting the audio file.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try something else like AVI2DVD (Free) or ConvertXtoDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i am a newbie at doing this stuff. i hope i can get AVI2DVD (Free) or ConvertXtoDVD to do the selectable subtitles.

thanks for the quick reply Baldrick.
    Quote Quote  
  19. i have been learning about video for the last 12 hrs or so... so i am definately a beginner. i followed a tutorial, installed Dvd2svcd and tmpegenc ...

trying to encode subtitles, and burn to dvd from asi/divx/xvid format, with mpeg3 audio.

my attempts keep on failing due to 'spumux failed for unknown reasons'. when i open spumux_log.txt i get: 'The system cannot find the file specified', even though when i searched for the exe, it was right where it was supposed to be (?).

any help would be much appreciated, as it seems like all audio & video encoding is working fine up to this point.

Quote Quote