VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. After having just purchased a panasonic dvd recorder as opposed to having previously just tested one I started doing some tests on the XP and SP modes recording off satellite. My conclusion after multiple viewings is that the SP mode is virtually identical to the XP one. Meaning it's just as high quality with only minute differences. I did this using the rca inputs because svideo produces weird vertical discolored streaks for some unknown reason. The only difference between rca and svideo besides these horrible streaks is svideo produces a very slightly brighter picture. Surprisingly it wasn't even a little clearer which is what I usually expect from svideo. If you're using the svideo to record off of satellite. Stop. If you don't already know this switch to rca because it will produce a better picture hands down. Better than the sony imo. Don't ask me why. What I am puzzled by is that when I use the svideo to record from my vcr there are no vertical streaks in the picture. Could this be because it's from an analog source unlike recording from satellite? Anyone out there with a better tv than mine tell me if they see any difference between the two modes on the panasonic?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    -zanos wrote:

The only difference between rca and svideo besides these horrible streaks is svideo produces a very slightly brighter picture. Surprisingly it wasn't even a little clearer which is what I usually expect from svideo. If you're using the svideo to record off of satellite. Stop.
    I wouldn't say this result is typical. It sounds like your recorder or the satellite receiver is defective. I have been recording from broadcast satellite S-video since the DMR-HS2 came out. My results with S-Video are excellent. I did some testing when I first got it and my picture quality with S-Video was better than RCA.

I do agree that XP mode is very close to SP, though I was able to notice perceptible differences.

Tearren
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As with all video work - the quality of the output is directly related to the input (crap in / crap out) - meaning that you will see little difference on using SP (Avg 4 Mbit/sec) or XP (avg 8 Mbit/Sec) on a sat recording because it is of relatively low quality in the first place (compressed) - yes it may help 'preseve' the quality but a 'clean' picture will always compress better then a 'grainy' picture due the nature of compression.

On a similiar theme, I have recorder VHS on an LP (Avg 2 Mbit/Sec) setting and this is not noticebly different to SP for example ...

However, on recording from a DV camcorder, expecially with lots of motion (football match for example) then XP is a LOT better then SP and really keeps the detail and sharpness.

Just some thoughts ....
    Quote Quote  
  4. I currently have the dmr-50 but have tested the dmr-e80 in the past and saw the exact same thing but because I didn't record too much stuff off of satellite when I tested that unit out I kind of put it out of my mind. I also heard other ppl discuss the same problem in another forum sometime last year but didn't understand it at the time. Now I know what they're talking about. This is not coincidence.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    -zanos

I currently have the dmr-50 but have tested the dmr-e80 in the past and saw the exact same thing but because I didn't record too much stuff off of satellite when I tested that unit out I kind of put it out of my mind.
    If you were recording from the same satellite receiver, and something was wrong with the S-Video out, then you would get the same result. This would also explain why when you use S-Video to record from VCR you do not have the same effect. I have no horrible vertical lines when I record from an S-Video Satellite receiver.

I also heard other ppl discuss the same problem in another forum sometime last year but didn't understand it at the time.
    I have never heard anyone discuss horrible vertical lines recording from S-Video. So, I am not sure what problem you are referring to. Are you by chance referring to the ''whiteout" or "washed out" effect? There seem to be a lot of mixed information about this issue on the net. Some people say they experience it, some claim they don't. I have experienced this effect, but it was when I recorded from RCA. This doesn't happen when I record from S-Video.

Tearren
    Quote Quote  
  6. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zanos
    After having just purchased a panasonic dvd recorder as opposed to having previously just tested one I started doing some tests on the XP and SP modes recording off satellite. My conclusion after multiple viewings is that the SP mode is virtually identical to the XP one. Meaning it's just as high quality with only minute differences. I did this using the rca inputs because svideo produces weird vertical discolored streaks for some unknown reason. The only difference between rca and svideo besides these horrible streaks is svideo produces a very slightly brighter picture. Surprisingly it wasn't even a little clearer which is what I usually expect from svideo. If you're using the svideo to record off of satellite. Stop. If you don't already know this switch to rca because it will produce a better picture hands down. Better than the sony imo. Don't ask me why. What I am puzzled by is that when I use the svideo to record from my vcr there are no vertical streaks in the picture. Could this be because it's from an analog source unlike recording from satellite? Anyone out there with a better tv than mine tell me if they see any difference between the two modes on the panasonic?
    I have a DMR-E50 and have never seen the type of streaking with s-video that you mention. Maybe a defective unit?

And the output of your satellite receiver isn't digital if it's using the s-video cable, it's analog. It's cleaner because it's coming directly from the receiver and the signal is relatively clean.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is it a HUGHES receiver? Those things suck great big <insert any expletive here> ... never seen one WITHOUT mess in the output.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes it is a Hughes. Let me also point out that I also received a homemade dvd someone made for me using their panasonic dvd recorder and I saw the same "bars/streaks" on the picture of that as well.
    However I believe that recording was made on a panasonic e30 and from a vhs source and not satellite. Btw I don't see the problem simply from having the svideo plugged into my machine. It's only present after the recording. That has to be the fault of the recorder
    Quote Quote