VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everybody,

I would like to know whether there is an authoring tool that accepts and DOES NOT RENCODE 50 frames per second Mpeg2 streams (aka main profile high level : MP@HL in tmpgEnc) ?

Why I'm asking this ? Well I have jerky Mpeg2 streams during panning on large landscapes. I encode this way :
    1. Frame serving through VirtualDub with the following filters :
    - MSU Denoiser
    - deinterlace mode Blend
    - Sharpen strenght 12
    2. TmpgEnc :
    - 9000kbits 2-pass VBR, 10 bits DC precision, high quality motion search non interlaced 25fps Mpeg2 stream
    - 384kbits, 48Khz, 16bits audio stream
    - Multiplexing
    3. Authoring in Ulead DVD MovieFactory 2.5 SE
    4. Play DVD on a JVC XV-NA77 progressive scan

So I thought that with 50fps, the playback would be smoother. Am I right

The image quality is better than the original miniDV footage where it comes from, it's only during average speed panning that the video is jerky (as if some frames where missing, although none of them were dropped!), during slow panning the image is good!
    Did I do something wrong in my encoding phase

Any help would be appreciated

thanks in advance
    jacobus serpenti
    Be yourself and be happy in what you do
    Quote Quote  
  2. it seems you are converting to pal (25fps), yet the source material may have been encoded to ntsc. i have had the same problem. i have had .avi files which are ntsc at 29.97 fps then converted to 25 fps with jerky playback. it seems that if you encode a film which was pal encoded to start with (i had one film which i knew was pal) there is no jerkiness. the only solution i have is to encode to ntsc (29.97 fps) instead of pal (25 fps), btw what country are you living in, your television must support ntsc before you try this or you will get black and white and no colour and your dvd player should be connected through scart.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Jacobus Serpenti
    - deinterlace mode Blend

non interlaced 25fps Mpeg2 stream

jacobus serpenti
    Thats where you are going wrong.

You may have a progressive scan DVD player, you may even have a progressive scan display (you don't mention this) but you do not have progressive scan source material.

DV is not like film where the original material was true progressive and each pair of fields make 1 frame. In DV, each field is from a different point in time (a tru 50 Fields per second), so when you de-interlace you are going to have problems. Try encoding it interlaced (bottom field first) and see if it fixes your problem.

de-interlacing is often only worthwhile (increase in quality) if the original source was film or some other true progressive source.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If he uses something like Avisynth "bob deinterlace" to get 50fps would the thing even play in his DVD player?

Are the HD players capable of this?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by au7usa
    If he uses something like Avisynth "bob deinterlace" to get 50fps would the thing even play in his DVD player?
    I do not know of nor have I heard of any current DVD player that will play 50 Frames per second video. Of course that doesn't mean such a thing does not exist but if he were to find such a machine his DVD's would play on that machine only.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello bugster,

Thanks a lot for your reply
    Yes I have a progressive plasma panel (100hz 3D progressive scan, Don't know what the 3D means, It's some Panasonic circuitry )

I started all the deinterlacing business when I connected my Sonic DCR PC1e (pal version) directly to the plasma panel through the S-Video input : the image was desastrous It looked like cheap DivX encoding with lots of artefacts, although the same connection on a standard TV set, yielded great picture and quality.

So I said to myself why not try to deinterlace? Well It looks better, much better as a matter of fact, except that jumpy stuff during panning.

I'll try, as you suggest, to go back to the basics and leave everything as it is : interlaced, encoding directly in TmpgEnc and no preprocessing through VDub.

I'll keep you informed of my findings

Be seeing you
    jacobus serpenti, somewhere in Belgium
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello again bugster,

I've tried several non interlaced settings, well none of them seem to match the non interlaced mode.

Guess what ? I asked my wife , not that she is a video guru, but she has good common sense , and she pointed out that the non interlaced stream performed much better on the plasma panel.

That non interlaced stream was build as follows :
    VirtualDud with FieldBOB filter (1/4 scan line up-1/4 scan line down)
    TmpgEnc 9000 2-pass vbr, DC 10, non interlaced 25Fps mpeg2, high quality motion estimate, default GOP and quantize, ...
    Multiplex
    Ulead DVD movie factory 2.5

Well that's it

jacobus serpenti
    Quote Quote