Thread
  1. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to create custom
    Hightlight Images for Ulead DVD Workshop 2

file format is .ufo

Cheers

D
    Quote Quote  
  2. Yes - it should be possible.

If you right-click on an existing HIGHLIGHT IMAGE, you'll see a pop-up menu that includes an option to LOAD FILE.

If you click the LOAD FILE option, then you'll see a LOAD HIGHLIGHT IMAGE FILE pop-up menu.

Then one would simply browse to the location of the .UFO (Ulead File For Objects) image to be imported into the library.

Hope this helps,

Jerry Jones
    http://www.jonesgroup.net
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hightlight Images are a really cool feature of Ulead DVD Workshop 2. Instead of just highlighting frames (or the same ol' yellow overlay in TDA), you can have an image pop up when you highlight a button, such as a motion thumbnail that you select to play your clip.

In addition to the ones that come with the program and the ones you can download as part of the extra content package from the Ulead site, you can import just about any image file to make it into a Highlight Image; not just .ufo files, but .bmp, .jpg, .gif, .tif, .psd, png, etc.

1. In Menu, select the Button tab, then select Highlight Image from the drop-down menu.

2. Click on the folder icon, then import your image.

3. Drag it to the button on the menu, e.g., a thumbnail.

You can even make it the colors you want for highlight and select. When I backed up my Beatles Anthology, I made my own menus, and made the thumbnail Highlight Image the classic Beatles Apple image.

But to make it a proper Highlight Image, I had to invert the colors before importing it into UDW2. I did this simply enough in Paint, by choosing Image|Invert Colors.

Here are a couple of examples of the result:

Quote Quote  
  4. Cheers to the two previous posters for some excellent advice

D
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For me, they took a little practice to get used to it, but now that I finally have it working, it's really a neat feature.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wait, so you can use any image for a highlight image?? How come when you view them in the list, they're all white on black background?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use Color Mapping to make Highlight Images any color you wish, even controling the transparency. In the example I made below, the flame turns red when you highlight the selection and blue when you select it.

Click on picture to see a crude video of the effect.

Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How come you have the little fire images for the ones that aren't selected too? Shouldn't the fire image jump from option to option, or are the unselected ones static with the background and you just positioned the highlight image over them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could do it either way, but as you guessed, I superimposed the highlight image on a picture of a flame, because by using a certain amount of transparency, the highlighted flame isn't just a solid red color, but you can see the complete range of coloring in the original flame image.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so I can just use any jpg image as a highlight? I just have to invert the colors?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, or bitmaps too, I think. It's not always necessary to invert the colors. Experiment with which looks better for your particular image.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My one gripe about the way Ulead handles highlights is that it does not allow gradients or shades of colors. It's either on or off, full or none. DVD Studio Pro, by comparison, can do shades and gradients. Of course, most software cannot do this either.

In other words, for a yellow highlight, in DVDSP, I can use any image I want, and it will create "smart" shades of hard yellow and partially transparent yellow. For a Ulead image, I have to go in and manually make my image 1 color and clear in Photoshop.

That's why I still use DVDSP sometimes.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, you can do that pretty easily in DWS, too.

In the Color Mapping box, click Customize. A window will open in which you can select the level of transparency of your Highlight Image colors.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, that still applies to the entire image. I'm referring to highlights that contain all sorts of shades. Ulead does all or none. Any transparency setting applies to the entire image, not just part of it.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, that's correct.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, now I'm intrigued. How does "smart shades" in DVDSP work, exactly? Can you demonstrate and show examples? I'm always interested in new authoring features.
    Quote Quote