VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is the technical difference between transcoding and Encoding. I read the definitions in the glossary, but still confused.

Also name a few examples of software which are encoders and those which are transcoders.

Is Dvdshrink an encoder or transcoder or both as an example?

Thanks!
    pcexpress-guy
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by The Glossary
    Transcoding
    On this site generally another name for encoding.

A more technical term would be "The reformatting of content, without changing the source, to another type of content - most often of a different format than the original (but does not have to be)"
    Reading this, I would say that they are basically the same thing, although the purists would have a defined view I'm sure.

IMO transcoding generally refers to modifying pre-existing encoded data but keeping the same data format (DVDShrink is a transcoder and has VOB input and output) whereas encoding changes the data format (TMPGEnc is an encoder and converts multiple formats to MPEG).

So I think the difference comes when you change the data format.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Transcoding is converting from one codec to another (or maybe different bitrates within one codec). Encoding is taking an unencoded stream and encoding it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pcexpress-guy
    What is the technical difference between transcoding and Encoding. I read the definitions in the glossary, but still confused.

Also name a few examples of software which are encoders and those which are transcoders.

Is shrinkdvd an encoder or transcoder or both as an example?

Thanks!
    A transcoder (DVDShrink, DVD2ONE, ReJig) cuts the bitrate by throwing away qauntization bits allocated in the frames. At low compression levels(90-99%), only B frames are effected, and quality loss is hard to spot. At high compression ratios(70%), all frames are effected, and a quality loss is easy to spot.

An encoder (CCE, ProCoder, TMPG) creates new information for each frame. Encoding 99% of the time is higher quality when compared to a transcoder, but the time factor is huge. A transcoder can take minutes compared to hours for encoding.

I can't tell you what shrinkdvd does, because I've never heard of it
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't tell you what shrinkdvd does, because I've never heard of it
    I think you must have misquoted me. See my orginal post, above.

Hey... so is Instant Copy by pennicle a transcoder or encoder? It certainly is slow enough, must be transcoder. :P

THANKS!
    pcexpress-guy
    Quote Quote  
  6. [quote="pcexpress-guy"]
    I think you must have misquoted me. See my orginal post, above.
    No....he didn’t misquote you. You edited your original post. I noticed that you spelled DVDshrink wrong as well.

FYI, we can tell that a post has been edited by the line at the bottom of the post that states

Last edited by pcexpress-guy on Apr 12, 2004 15:22, edited 1 time in total
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My fault on the misquote (I know it was a joke :P )

I believe Instant Copy is an hybrid of sorts. Most claim the quality is better than the other transcoders (DVD2One, DVDShrink). I've used it a couple of times, but found it had many bugs, didn't try it again after all of the updates. It was version 7.xx that I used, and the quality was pretty good for what it does.

If I need a one click type of app, I usually use Rejig for movie only rips, or DVDShrink for whole movie rips.

Check out www.mrbass.org for info and guides on the one click transcoders and www.dvdshrink.info for guides on DVDShrink.
    Quote Quote  
  8. A transcoder (DVDShrink, DVD2ONE, ReJig) cuts the bitrate by throwing away qauntization bits...
    ???

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/T/transcoding.html
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No....he didn’t misquote you. You edited your original post. I noticed that you spelled DVDshrink wrong as well.
    I am sure the forum server corrupted the date thingee. I mean after all, it wouldn't be me that made a mistake. :P haha Yea, sure it was edited... that was the joke part of the post. But play along it might be fun.

Hey I must say the quality in IC8 is better then dvdshrink or anything I ever tried. I am sure there is a downside, but as far as encoding/transcoding/whatever, it does wonders with compression and quality. Amazing.

Thanks!
    pcexpress-guy
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by junkmalle
    The above link is pretty old, 2001.

disturbed1's definition is what most people on this forum are familiar with, even though it may not be a literal definition. Mpeg encoders (CCE, TMPGEnc) can create an mpeg from an entirely different video format, transcoders (DVDShrink, DVD2ONE) will make alterations to an existing mpeg.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ZippyP, Ok I follow. From the Old link, the simple explanation is that transcoding refers more to the form of the source to output, whereas encoding refers more to simple compression. Is this a fair explanation.

Also on your explanation.
    Mpeg encoders (CCE, TMPGEnc) can create an mpeg from an entirely different video format, transcoders (DVDShrink, DVD2ONE) will make alterations to an existing mpeg.
    If I use TMPGEnc to encode, won't the video format of the output be "entirely different" just like if I use Dvdshrink? The VOB output from Dvdshrink is different from the orginal, yes? But I suppose the difference between the two, is in how the output is different from each other. Is this what you are talking about?

I am still not clear what this difference is? Or do you like the explanation above?

How about this: Transcoding means changing form of the output which is different from the input format. This Transcoding has nothing to do with per se with compressing the output file. Encoding on the other hand can change the filesize by adding compression, changing bitrates, etc.

Is this one good?

Thanks!
    pcexpress-guy
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If I use TMPGEnc to encode, won't the video format of the output be "entirely different" just like if I use Dvdshrink? The VOB output from Dvdshrink is different from the orginal, yes?
    TMPGEnc can take different data formats (AVI, MPEG, WMV etc) and convert them to MPEG. This is why it is an encoder.

DVDShrink takes VOB as input and outputs to VOB. This is why it is a transcoder because it is not changing the data format at all. It starts as VOB and ends as VOB.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    TMPGEnc can take different data formats (AVI, MPEG, WMV etc) and convert them to MPEG. This is why it is an encoder.

DVDShrink takes VOB as input and outputs to VOB. This is why it is a transcoder because it is not changing the data format at all. It starts as VOB and ends as VOB.
    That's what I meant.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ZippyP.
    That's what I meant.
    That's what you said, I just re-iterated it
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    That's what you said, I just re-iterated it
    And maybe a little more clearly.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would disagree that MPEG2 encoders take different
    formats as input. I would claim that they all take only raw uncompressed
    video as input. There is a decoder in front of the MPEG2 encoder
    in all the Apps like TMPGenc
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by FOO
    I would disagree that MPEG2 encoders take different
    formats as input. I would claim that they all take only raw uncompressed
    video as input. There is a decoder in front of the MPEG2 encoder
    Fair point.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  18. jimmalenko wrote:
    Fair point.
    I think this whole discussion is rather pointless!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FOO
    There is a decoder in front of the MPEG2 encoder

True enough, but I was referring to encoders in the general sense, as in the whole application software.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    jimmalenko wrote:
    Fair point.
    I think this whole discussion is rather pointless!
    Learn how to quote properly before replying with your noobishness.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Learn how to quote properly before replying with your noobishness.
    Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Learn how to quote properly before replying with your noobishness.
    Thank you!
    You still haven't learnt
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  23. So then Virtual Dub would be considered a Transcoder since it is avi in and avi out...correct? [since mpeg 1 (mpeg 2 with VD mod) is converted to avi prior to transcoding]
    No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, Vdub is really just an editor. It can export to just about any codec that you have installed on your system though. Whenever you save the file using a codec you are encoding. (Codec= encode/decode)

Its true Vdub can do a direct stream export without having to decode or re-encode the stream, but this is really just resaving the file to a new location. Its not much different than hitting copy and paste. About all it can do is repatch headers doing this. If you want to apply most filters or do any kind of editing you are going to have to re-process it which means decoding the source and re-encoding it again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I thought codec = COmpressor/DECompressor but anywany...

I would class virtualdub as an encoder. It can accept a number of formats and output to a number of formats.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Heh, you're right. I was wondering why my bolded parts were in the middle of the word. I knew it didn't look right.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what about TDA? Encoder or non-encoder? Their website says non-encoder. But perhaps this is an argument to what the meaning of what the meaning of "is, "is?
    pcexpress-guy
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But perhaps this is an argument to what the meaning of what the meaning of "is, "is?
    I did not have an affair with that woman.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    does that make ya a lier or a president of big world power?
    pcexpress-guy
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    what about TDA? Encoder or non-encoder? Their website says non-encoder. But perhaps this is an argument to what the meaning of what the meaning of "is, "is?
    I would argue that TDA is an authorer. It doesn't encode anything, it just adds headers to the MPEG-1 or 2 files and creates menus and navigational info. It doesn't actually encode anything.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote