VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why is Windows Movie Maker 2 shrinking my video files? I captured a short video from my camcorder to my computer with WinDV (saved as AVI-type 2). The size of the video was 760 mb. I imported this video into Movie Maker 2, did nothing to the video, and slected to save the imported video to my computer. I chose DV-AVI (NTSC) for the saved file. The resulting video file size was 732 mb. Why? Is there a setting that I need to change? Thank You!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe WMM's DV-AVI is type 1, which may explain the discrepancy.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have read that MM2's DV-AVI is type 1 also, but does that reduce the quality of the video?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think it reduces the quality, but it may cause some compatibility problems when using other apps, for example VirtualDub. Fortunately, it's easy and quick to do lossless conversions.

http://users.tpg.com.au/mtam/guide_wmm2.htm

I use the Canopus DV File Converter myself, available here free, choosing Microsoft DV (Type 2) as my Target Format. As I mentioned, it's quick, easy and lossless.
    Quote Quote