VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. im fedup with widescreen.why do they make widescrenn dvd when most of england dont have widescreen tv,s?.is there anyway of turning a widescreen dvd in to a full screen dvd when backing the movie up?.if you make vcds you can change them from widescreen to full or viceversa but can it be dont when backing up dvd to dvdr?.there must be a way.
    movies do we watch them or do they watch us?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by newbievamp
    im fedup with widescreen.why do they make widescrenn dvd when most of england dont have widescreen tv,s?.is there anyway of turning a widescreen dvd in to a full screen dvd when backing the movie up?.if you make vcds you can change them from widescreen to full or viceversa but can it be dont when backing up dvd to dvdr?.there must be a way.
    Open your movie's IFO in question with IfoEdit. Double left click on video attributes in VTS Overview. If your aspect ratio is at 16:9 (widescreen), select Automatic Pan&Scan and uncheck the other static options. Click OK to set and save IFO. What Pan&Scan format is that you are chopping off the left and right sides of the movie, thus you are missing out on any significant parts of the movie like it was shown in the theatres. IMO, you are downgrading yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Or you can rencode and stretch the picture. But then things look long and distorted. Although I hate wide screen as well. So I do this with my player when watching wide screen movies. Although not all of them will get rid of the black bars totally. But it helps a bit.
    Quote Quote  
  4. do i need vobedit or info edit they are both on the same site?
    Quote Quote  
  5. You need IFOEDIT.
    Quote Quote  
  6. [/b] im totaly confussed.i have dvd shrink and infoedit but what do i do.i tried ripping only the movie using dvd shrink.then what?.its hard because i dont know how to identifi the files on the dvd.it would be easy if there was a program that told you wich file is wich,ie movie,menu,extras,.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you only ripped the movie with DVDShrink there would be no extra's or menue's.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Butchering a movie so that you can watch it full screen is just plain wrong. At least when you get a commercial full screen version they use proper pan and scan to keep the subjects in the frame. You can't do that at home.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newbievamp
    why do they make widescrenn dvd when most of england dont have widescreen tv,s?
    Most people in the US (or any country as far as I know) don't have widescreen. That's not why most movies are put out on widescreen DVD. Widescreen is about preserving the aspect ratio of the original film and making sure you're seeing all there is to see. Fullscreen hacks off part of the viewing image and sometimes even causes you to miss things you might want to see. I'd rather watch a widescreen film on my 27" than a fullscreen film on my 32". That's just how the movie was intended to be. Although I do know people who'd just as soon watch it full screen so they can see it since they're watching on smaller TVs.
    Nothing can stop me now, 'cause I don't care anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by newbievamp
    im totaly confussed.i have dvd shrink and infoedit...
    I agree. You mentioned "infoedit" twice in your thread. It's "IfoEdit".
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "im fedup with widescreen.why do they make widescrenn dvd when most of england dont have widescreen tv,s?."

I like my movies like art....you don't go out and want to buy A third of a painting, do you? come one....get a litttle more serious about movies.....
    "We want the finest wines available to humanity, and we want them now!"
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by little Mick
    "im fedup with widescreen.why do they make widescrenn dvd when most of england dont have widescreen tv,s?."

I like my movies like art....you don't go out and want to buy A third of a painting, do you? come one....get a litttle more serious about movies.....
    It's a matter of preference that's all. I personaly don't care much at all for widescreen. I'd rather have a full screen picture. It's just entertainment! If that means cutting out some on the sides so be it. I'm sure you do miss some things. But for the most part what they most want you to see is more in the center of the screen.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    iF you are not happy with the widescreen pic why dont you use the ZOOM button on your players remote? This will expand the picture size but the sides will be cropped off. Even people with widescreen tv's still get black borders top and bottom, thems the breaks.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BTW l have a widescreen and now l have to put up with black bars on the sides when watching FTA tv thems the breaks.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Anamorphic DVDs satsify everyone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For around $40 US (not sure if it's available or what it would cost in UK) at places like Wal-Mart, you can pick up the APEX AD-1225 which has what they call AFF or Active Fullscreen Function. This will automatically adjust the aspect ratio of a widescreen film and stretch it to 4:3 to fit your TV.
    Nothing can stop me now, 'cause I don't care anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by crazyhorse
    BTW l have a widescreen and now l have to put up with black bars on the sides when watching FTA tv thems the breaks.
    We have a widescreen as well........all you do is change the ASPECT to 4:3 Expanded and you have no black bars on the side.......and when you're watching a widescreen show or movie, just change it back to 16:9! Ours does it with one button on the remote. I'm guessing yours is similar.
    Quote Quote  
  18. re-encode to 14:9 aspect ratio .. you will lose a small amount at each side but this is the true movie-makers ratio...a secret known only to those in the Guild. best of both worlds. FS and WS.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do you re=encode VOB's with TMPGenc? I've heard sometimes just by renaming them to mpg files can do it. But when I try this the program crashes.
    Quote Quote  
  20. How about just buying the fullscreen version of the movie? Problem solved.
    Quote Quote  
  21. i don't have a widescreen TV, and I used to be like you back in the days.

I hated widescreen and I always though fullscreen was better. But now i love watching movies in widescreen more than fullscreen.

You should know that widescreen will let you see more of the movie than fullscreen. That's something I learned thanks to the guys at this forum.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just feel no one really cares about the purity of cinema...most people seem to car about a PICTURE fillling up the screens of their Expensive tv's they have bought...... have you forgotten your love of the art that is cinema.....lets not butcher these great pictures just because we want a nice big picture.....

...but hey...that's me...............

Keep the cinema experience pure.................
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VicodiN
    How about just buying the fullscreen version of the movie? Problem solved.
    They don't make fullscreen versions of every movie on DVD. You would have to get the VHS tape instead.
    Quote Quote  
  24. To all you people who dont own a widescreen tv.
    i have a good idea

you will need:

1.tv
    2.sets of chain
    2.people
    2.cars
    1.tub of glue

first of all glue the 2 chains to each side of the tv
    next take the tv down to the cars and tie the chain to with bumbers of the cars. Next get in the cars and shift that gear in to reverse and slowly go back a few feet. Result:a widescreen tv tada "whats happened to my tv"
    Quote Quote  
  25. For people who watch widescreen DVDs with small TVs, here are two options to do if you don't want to miss out on details.

1. Move your TV closer to you
    2. You move closer to the TV
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Duh.

They are widescreen or Anamorphic (2 different aspects by the way) because the original movie was. You can usually get a 4:3 version of the movie if you look hard enough.
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by newbievamp
    To all you people who dont own a widescreen tv.
    i have a good idea

you will need:

1.tv
    2.sets of chain
    2.people
    2.cars
    1.tub of glue

first of all glue the 2 chains to each side of the tv
    next take the tv down to the cars and tie the chain to with bumbers of the cars. Next get in the cars and shift that gear in to reverse and slowly go back a few feet. Result:a widescreen tv tada "whats happened to my tv"
    I tried this, but I backed up over my TV. Should I have tied the chain to the front bumper instead?

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  28. yes my friend you should have.im sorry that i did not make this clear but its only a idea lol. .
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by bdf24
    They don't make fullscreen versions of every movie on DVD. You would have to get the VHS tape instead.
    Most major releases are released in both formats. I shoudl have clarified myself.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here.... in australia.........we have only one, informed choice for our dvd's.....Widescreen...no one here really seems to want fullscreen....Isn't this a better way to live?
    Quote Quote