VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all. I'm trying to learn the advanced aspects of encoding, and I was wondering if someone could tell me which (in general) is better to use between variable bitrate and constant bitrate (for movie files that average about 1 hour, 50 minutes in duration), and WHY that format is better. Also, if someone could give me a general overview of WHAT constant bitrate is and variable bitrate is, it would be greatly appreciated. If there is a link out there that tells all this info, feel free to point me to the link and I will go read up on it.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by i am x
    ... I will go read up on it.
    I go you one better. Do a search on the "Matrix". The information that you seek has been discussed at length many times. And, as recent as this week.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  3. The big problem with VBR audio is that most standalone DVD player/recorders with AVI support specifically Home Theatre DivX format require the audio to be at a CBR and the FOURCC of the video to be DX50 or DIVX to ensure no playback problems. Check out my Fixya tips here for conversion of AVI that will give you problems to those that won't.

http://www.fixya.com/support/r4096773-convert_ans_avi_mp3_vbr_cbr_virtualdub

If you play CBR audio AVI files on your PC you have many playback options usually a player that uses the libavcodecs like VLC Player, Mplayer and KMPlayer will play the file with no errors this can't be said for all players even the DivX player may suffer audio synch as VBR is not the standard as all will tell you even if the VBR audio is aligned with interleaves you may still have problems.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please STOP DIG UP OLD THREADS!
    Quote Quote